interesting response from QT

white90

Jules they aren't standard items though.

Tims have failed the pictured ones above have failed.

In this instance are they only safe when fitted to a car that doesn't venture offroad?

No they are being sold by a company that sells comp safari stuff, I would except them to be up to the task at hand

Or am I expecting to much?

Set have failed on competition as do any parts when pushed hard as nothing is indestructible

No not at all but shouting about it on a forum before talking to Dave and more importantly while his company is on Christmas holiday the the whole thread can gather ill informed momentum is very unfair and totally outrageous for a moderator to abuse his position like this

As with much aftermarket non-standard stuff you assume ( or should that be hope) the maker knows what they are doing. Wonder how much testing some of this stuff undergoes? Or if it is approved by the vehicles manufacturer?

Problem arises when something goes wrong & a vehicle examiner says that as a result of the modifications the vehicle was dangerous.

Set have failed on competition as do any parts when pushed hard as nothing is indestructible

No not at all but shouting about it on a forum before talking to Dave and more importantly while his company is on Christmas holiday the the whole thread can gather ill informed momentum is very unfair and totally outrageous for a moderator to abuse his position like this

What like seeing it posted on Pirate I guess the whole world can't see that Jules DOH!

and just for your information as you appear to have missed it

I am not a moderator here at all.

I am the treasurer only.

Are you now off to Pirate to berate everyone on there or save your outburst at me for here alone?

Perhaps I should run everything by you in future just to check it is ok?

This is a forum and I will like everyone post up questions/topic as I see fit as long as they are within the rules of the forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS this is the direct quote from Pirate:

The arms were made by QT. Turns out that the fully drilled arms were made as display samples. Somehow this set ended up on a truck. The vendor that sold them has since gone out of business.

Dave Marsh at QT has been more than helpfull in correcting this issue and supplying new arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then went on to say:

Agreed if it is a post production issue then warranty replacements should be made available?

Then this in response to your post:

If there is a limit to the usage of these then they should be sold as such, Mine were sold to me by Dave at Billing,

If they are inherently a design problem that he is aware of then I'll see what sort reply I get.

If they were to fail on the road and an accident ensued, the goods fit for the purpose surely comes to mind.

Mine are to date ok, but I would not like to see a failure as above.

Poor man's bling:

scan0001.jpg

The first time I saw the QT ones, I ran. In my humble opinion, you cant do it in the way it is done. Its too flimsy and the bottom bead is split up in pieces which are welded in places. The picture shows that it broke, yes, exactly on the weld. You can cause a lot of havoc if the other arm breaks also, which is now increasingly likely, by a factor of 2 almost.

I made my lightweight arms from oldspec rangy arms. These are 0.5 KG lighter to begin with, and after smoking a load of holes you take out another 1 kg, making the weightsaving 1.5kg per arm. I also polished the outside of the arms with a flapwheel to reduce the tendency to crack.

Then had it zinc plated for added bling :rolleyes:

I personally dont bother with castor correction, although the lift is only 1-1.5 inch on my car.

Daan

I've known a set of these shatter on a comp racer, as such they got binned, he was lucky not to have a major off.

Frankly these horrify me, and they are sold as qulaity bits of kit, std arms bend, never seen one shear

tghe forces involved going into these when the axle is being twisted is huge (Que Mr BishBosh please !)

The key thing to note here is that Pirate started this thread, and then TC added it here, I am

not suprised to hear they broke, I wouldn't have them anywhere near me thankyou, my choice, others have put

their faith in QT products and now I guess thier after sales service and response

I dealt with QT once in the past, once was enough for me. I think QTs "welding" has had comments here previously

if I could be bothered I'd go find it, but that pic is terrifying of consequences for the driver and all in their path

Hardly see TCs at fault for copying across a thread started elsewhere where he and others here may wish to know

about a risk they are up to now oblivious about, and hardly an abuse of his "power" ?

Nige

Personally I wouldn't used bent ones either, I've welded a bracket to radius arms and it caused hairline fractures after a while, my understanding is that forged metal will change if heated. I'm not a metallurgist and I don't know the exact metal used by LR but I know what a crack looks like.

Whoa, as it's a link & info from another forum & Tony is only passing on serious information that could afflict other members vehicles, why are you berating him ?

I know Dave Marsh too & I would expect him to be straight with any of his products & any failures thereof.

as Tony has mentioned he has contacted QT & is waiting a response.

I consider your comment above very unfair, I'm sure you would post similar if your radius arm failed like that.

Whoa, as it's a link & info from another forum & Tony is only passing on serious information that could afflict other members vehicles, why are you berating him ?

I know Dave Marsh too & I would expect him to be straight with any of his products & any failures thereof.

as Tony has mentioned he has contacted QT & is waiting a response.

I consider your comment above very unfair, I'm sure you would post similar if your radius arm failed like that.

That, and it is not the first time I see a picture of this failure on this forum. As long as these arms fail, people should know about it, because it is dangerous.

As far as QT is concerned, I have only dealt with them once and was quite satisfied with the items supplied (2 diff guards) but it is interesting to see the reaction you can sometimes get from suppliers to what might be fair criticism.

I posted some time ago about problems I had fitting a certain piece of equipment from another well known Land Rover accessory supplier, I said nothing that was untrue and merely posted my observations on the issues/frustration I had with fitting, and the solution I eventually came to some time later and posted in the hope it would be useful for somebody else. I have recommended the item (despite the fitting issues) to others but despite this the company flatly refused to supply me with an additional part because of what I said on LR4x4 which had evidently been drawn to their attention.

Ho hum.

Well, it would seem to me that we (well, Tony) are awaiting a response from QT services. I would have thought that someone would have let them know about this issue/thread by now, but if they are not back to work till Monday then I guess we will have to wait until then. Meantime, this thread seems to be going in circles.

Chris

I bought some last year for my challenge truck (that does not go on the road) at Donnington indoor show last February'ish, and a few fellow competitors who saw me walking around with them commented stating there were not the strongest things in the world, and are known for cracking and bending etc, so I don't think it's exactly new information.

But saying that mine appear to be in perfect health so I cannot, nor will not call them, but may not buy any more.

I heard a clonk this morning on my way to the jet wash and this is what I found... :(

gallery_3150_282_592122.jpg

gallery_3150_282_1743377.jpg

This is my daily driver and my offroader so I was a little concerned. They have been on the car for about a year but I have no receipt for them. Looks like I'm going to have to fork out for some replacements.

Jeff.

I'm with Nige on this one, I wouldn't have those things within a 100 yards of my truck.

I'm not a welder, but I do work with Coded welders every day (we build presure vessels for submarines) I've never thought very much of QTs welding standards...

There are so many things wrong with the design and execution of those arms...

In light of a recent well publicised court case where aftermarket components failed, I'm not sure I'd want to fit stuff like that to the vehicle i drive my family around in.

What like seeing it posted on Pirate I guess the whole world can't see that Jules DOH!

and just for your information as you appear to have missed it

I am not a moderator here at all.

I am the treasurer only.

Are you now off to Pirate to berate everyone on there or save your outburst at me for here alone?

Perhaps I should run everything by you in future just to check it is ok?

This is a forum and I will like everyone post up questions/topic as I see fit as long as they are within the rules of the forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS this is the direct quote from Pirate:

The arms were made by QT. Turns out that the fully drilled arms were made as display samples. Somehow this set ended up on a truck. The vendor that sold them has since gone out of business.

Dave Marsh at QT has been more than helpfull in correcting this issue and supplying new arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then went on to say:

Agreed if it is a post production issue then warranty replacements should be made available?

Then this in response to your post:

If there is a limit to the usage of these then they should be sold as such, Mine were sold to me by Dave at Billing,

If they are inherently a design problem that he is aware of then I'll see what sort reply I get.

If they were to fail on the road and an accident ensued, the goods fit for the purpose surely comes to mind.

Mine are to date ok, but I would not like to see a failure as above.

I hadn't seen the link

but ho hum I'm wrong again my apologies

I'm with Nige on this one, I wouldn't have those things within a 100 yards of my truck.

I'm not a welder, but I do work with Coded welders every day (we build presure vessels for submarines) I've never thought very much of QTs welding standards...

As i posted earlier, the reason I didn't go for QT ones was not so much the quality of the weld that was there as that looked OK, I was more concerned that the welds weren't full length on the ones I looked at. This means, to my "if it looks right" school of engineering eye, all the stresses will be concentrated on the sections between the welds. Any twist along the arms won't be evenly distributed along the manufactured I beam arrangement.

The Britpart ones are a similar design (an I beam made up of 3 strips of metal welded together) but they are welded along the full length of the arm. although tomorrow morning I'm going to take a very close look at how they are holding up, particularly between the 2 axle bushes !

Well i have the early type......... :unsure: got to be at least 2 yr's old as they were on the truck when i got it

I seriously bent one of them on a comp, will be interesting to hear QT's reply

Hopefully the same as scorpion said when they re-called their rear arms