Next generation defender

As above guys, I would still like a utility base model ,tdv6 mm maybe tdv10 in board centre mounted winch option ala ibex optional air con alloys muds , any veiws pictures wellcomed cheers chris

quiet, able to take abuse, reliable, user servicable, economic, capable off road and corrosion resistant.

G

same as always but with a galv chassis and bulkhead...

I'm with Mike - why change something we all love so much already??

Same question seemed to be asked in London about a replacement for the Routemaster bus. The best designs submitted were basically drawings of the old Routemasters!

as above really. Its a good truck, so pretty much leave it alone.

Galvy chassis + bulkhead, axles with nissan or ford strength internals and optional lockers, aircon, 2.8tgv diesel or tuned td5, uprated manual box and optional auto, decent build quality!

Only major change i would suggest is to lengthen the swb to a 100". Not cos i'm a big fan of the 100" challenge brigade, but i think the extra 7" in the wheelbase would go along way to making more room in the cab for taller people and better seats, without compromising rear load space.

1. No mud traps
  2. Built-in proper roll over protection (just as important for the daily commute as for offroad use)
  3. Re-introduce the "catflap" air inlets under the windscreen
  4. Better tolerances and overall build quality

1 & 2 could perhaps be achieved by using a Bowler style tubular spaceframe instead of the present chassis. It must be possible to design a shape that still allows for a wide range of body style choiches.

Electric drive with individual wheel motors and independent suspension giving huge ground clearance without being too high off the ground or having massive wheels and tyres.

The chassis can be a large section central backbone that houses the battery tray.

:lol: A truck that identifies the owner. One that would yell at the thieving scum and give him an ejection most likely get him out of the car or shoot him out in the air when bums land on seat!! :rolleyes:<_<

So you want Kit out of Knight Rider in Defender form??!!

here is my wish list

- Keep the shape and the main specs (angles, tow capacity, etc)

- Solve the leaking problems (dust - water)

- Improvement in the Puma motor to be more reliable or try with other motor (6th gear is fantastic)

- Reduce the steering radius

- Increase the response to acceleration

- More space in the cab to accomodate big drivers.

- Lower 2nd row to be at the heigh of the window

- Airbags

- More Rolling protection (cage or other measure)

Cheers

Stainless chassis. live axles, 4 pinion diffs with lockers. Doors with locks. Hard chromed seal surfaces with PTFE seals. No water leaks. No rattly sliding windows. Inbuilt roll cage. Room for big tyres with a decent turning circle. Emphasis on rugged simple well (even over)engineered and built durabilty with a 30 year life expectancy, and kind to the planet because it doesn't have to be remanufactured every 10 years or so, or need sophisticated materials. In fact every time the designer specifies mild steel or plastic he should be asked why. Bit roomier inside, but spartan finish and styling to put people off buying it eg for the school run if they don't actually need it. Electronics OK for some things (eg intermittent wipe) but they need to be cheap, generic, rugged, and easily replaced or faults diagnosed, and ideally not stop the vehicle if they don't work.

Nigel

The 4.2 6cylinder Td from the Ford F250 (or TDV8/6)

Drivetrain upgraded to take the torque

At least rear locker

Coilsprung live axiles

Newer bodystyle to accomodate guys like me (6ft3) without making it feel cramped, making it look unmistakealbe Defender

Waterproofing

In that order please