Oh dear

jbs

I find it hard to believe either are actually stronger than the cast ones. Castor correction aside I struggle to see much point in any of them TBH.

Agreed, especially if the calculated loads from the other thread are correct :o

I'd be clocking the swivels if I needed castor correction and keep the cast arms.

I have emailed the seller, including a link to the earlier LR4x4 thread and asked him, very politely, to consider withdrawing them from sale, on the basis that he has so far been fortunate not to have an accident and it would be unfortunate if he then sold them to someone who has.

Interesting to see if I get any response, or they do get withdrawn.

Regards

Richard

I had a response: the seller is having second thoughts, is making enquiries, and will pull the sale if he feels they are dangerous.

Richard

I got an email from the seller today. He has done his research and pulled the items from sale.

I would guess the views on here, to which I drew his attention, would have contributed to such a really decent decision. It's an example it would be good to others on eBay and indeed elsewhere follow.

Perhaps we should use the authority this forum undoubtredly has on technical Land Rovber matters, to influence some of the less well advised eBay sales we see, or pehaps that would be going too far.

Regards

Richard

Richard, Glad to see some good has come from my original post and lovely to also see that the seller has used his brain to remove them before some unfortunate person has a major accident from putting them on they're truck and using them

John

I had a proper go at a mate yesterday after I looked under his truck, not only to see a set of these RDS arms fitted (he confirmed their origin), but that they had a patch welded (poorly) over the area that is known to crack.

When I questioned this he told me they had cracked there, so he'd stuck a patch over the crack.

He was completely unaware of the issues related to this subject that many of us are now quite familiar with, thanks for forums such as this.

I explained to him how dangerous his vehicle was, and enlightened him of the possible outcome of a total failure. I strongly recommended he throws them away and fits a standard set.

Short of nicking his keys there's not much more I can do for him without causing a fight :(

Naaah, nick his welder & tools :P

:hysterical:

I'm not sure I'd want his welder, but agreed, it would stop any more birds pooping on his Landy.

I 'spose I should also leave him at least two 24mm and a 30mm (sizes hopefully correct) spanners to remove the arms with.

The North Offroad ones are beautiful :D

I'd trust both NOR and PP :)

i wouldnt trust any of them. I just dont see the point in having welded up tube radius arms. Castor correction aside, what benefits are these really going to give you when you drive around in a 2T beam axled slab sided road going tractor?

They are more likely to fail, you cannot guarantee that every weld on every arm is perfect. PLus how much weight saving is there really? More than a good pooh and leaving off the pies? Or leaving all the extra rubbish out of the back of your landrover?

narr...

when my dad worked at caterham he worked with a guy called reg or "wizzyreg" i think he said they called him. this bloke built the 7s with out washers, becasue he could lose something like 2lbs, his argument to it (much like tescos); everey little helps

you can apply this rule to any form of motorsport, what if you do lay off the pies and have already taken all the carp out of the back of your truck, still makes a difference.

but i still wouldnt run tube arms, there are better places to lose weight on a vehicle

when my dad worked at caterham he worked with a guy called reg or "wizzyreg" i think he said they called him. this bloke built the 7s with out washers, becasue he could lose something like 2lbs, his argument to it (much like tescos); everey little helps

you can apply this rule to any form of motorsport, what if you do lay off the pies and have already taken all the carp out of the back of your truck, still makes a difference.

but i still wouldnt run tube arms, there are better places to lose weight on a vehicle

Nissan MotorSport used to replace the loom on their rally cars with one made from much thinner wire, also the glass was removed and thinner stuff used in its place.

Why did they do this? Because they had added so much weight when they beefed up their suspension.

Wasn't there some suggestion that the radius arms were implicated in the fatal accident involving a 110 a while back?

G.

hacked about rear radius arms i think was the cause of that particular accident - along with other factors.

but you are right, if doing motorsport you should be adding strength (and more than likely weight) to your suspension, not trimming it off. Replace the hardtop with a bikini canvas, replace the glass, remove the spare seats, ditch the spare tyre, ditch the tools, ditch the soundproofing and carpets, run with the minimum amount of fuel in the tank etc

that would all save much more weight than risking suspension failure. Alot cheaper too!

And if you've done all that already - sod it, a few kilos aint going to make that much more difference when you;re driving a landrover! And if it really is THAT important, look at tyre weights. Some tyres weigh substantially more than others and the tread pattern can add considerable resistance/friction unecessarily depending on the course surface you're racing on. I can feel a huge difference when accelerating on the road between my mud terrains and mild all terrain tyres. makes a 3mpg difference too. Then start looking at fibreglass panels and expensive (but lighter) tubing for your cage.

<rant mode = on>

Reducing weight is really only important in motorsport where acceleration (and braking) are significant factors in performance. Anyone who has ever been kart racing (or has watched the Top Gear Star(s) in a Reasonably Priced Car over an extended period) knows that while a lot of racing is in the head of the driver, ultimately if you have two drivers of equal skill and determination and one is a large heavy bloke and the other is a small skinny woman (or bloke) the large bloke is always going to come second. You don't see any burly F1 drivers!

On LandRovers, until you start talking about several tens of kilos, the weight makes precisely bugger all difference. Off road you are far more likely to need the extra strength of the properly forged arms than the (utterly negligible) benefit of any weight saving.

The idea that any of these aftermarket welded products are 'stronger than the originals', as seems to be the common claim, would be laughable if it were not dangerous rubbish (which it is).

<rant mode = off>

Nick.

I thought it was due to 'unsafe suspension modifications' the owner had carried out? Or was that just press hype?

I assume you mean the yellow 110.

The trailing-link arms that held the rear axle in place were also faulty, with one fitted wrongly and the bracket on the other having rusted away.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092874/Car-crash-father-killed-children-converted-death-trap.html#ixzz0xdqp8H6n

I would suggest that the leading (chassis) end bushes were assembled incorrectly in some way.