The Grave yard

Bos

I must admit it made a nice change not to watch hasbeen actors and celebs arsing around a test track in a Suzuki saloon.

And Hey a Fat stig .

Oi!!! I think your find it a Chevrolet Lacetti ;)

Nothing wrong with Suzuki oh apart from mine leaks!! :unsure::P

Have to confess I thought it was a bit of a waste of all the show....

I did however like hte part where they had to clean the cars... Staged or not it was a laff...

Hopefully next week back to a few more cars I'll never see in the flesh !

Have to say I thought it was hilarious. I think it's a great show. I find most/all Eurobox cars boring (that's why I own a Land Rover), and I wouldn't want a £100,000 Fiat either (Ferrari). But they are the funniest triple act on TV for years. Great show. And their top tips are useful - don't go to America!

Top gear definately isn't meant to be a car show any more - not enough people watched Quentin Wilson et al. It's an entertainment show, and that's exactly what it did - entertained me. I thought that it was brilliant - as said, definately staged parts, but then so what - it was funny. Definately interesting as a special, but will enjoy the usual show next week. Will also enjoy watching that special again and again when they repeat it.

Bloody good show!

Both Sarah & I laughed out loud - and at the same bits - so it was well pitched!

KKK - Lighten up! ;) There's still plenty of time for reviews - and it was answering a useful question about the buy/hire dilemma.

Si

Guest diesel_jim

I've not seen it yet, got it on SKY+ ready to.....

But like Clarkson said at the end of last weeks programme "Next week is a top gear special", so you have to expect something "different" from the norm!! :rolleyes:

I loved it too, although my wife went green at the roadkill bit. Our 8 year old son just fell about laughing.

Given the fuss about nearly killing the Hampster, I thought that the idea of writing on the cars to get them shot was really rather stupid and in poor taste, (presumably this predated that event), but it did make a good point about the sensibilities of the South. The USA is not like here - there are a lot of intolerant people with enough support and muscle to get away with almost anything in some areas. There are militant christians there that would match the violence and stupidity of any mad mullah.

Bits of the USA I really love, so the final words of JC were a little over the top; not going there ever means you miss out on a fabulous country. All my family love Iowa - a traditionally democrat state, which has a tradition of tolerance dating back to the pioneers. California is generally very laid back but the Southern states still have a reputation for intolerance, bigotry and violence. New Orleans was always seen as the sinfull, decadent big city and I am sure that is part of the reason for the slow recovery.

Top Gear is entertainment- many things are done for effect and some things are staged, but there are always nuggets of good information. Long live TG!

Did anyone ever see the scratch built model ferrari on Clarkson's own show I think it was, a few years ago.

It was probably 1/8 or 1/5 scale. I don't know what model it was but it had a *working* V8 in it!

Sounded bloody marvelous for and engine the size of your fist.

Did anyone ever see the scratch built model ferrari on Clarkson's own show I think it was, a few years ago.

It was probably 1/8 or 1/5 scale. I don't know what model it was but it had a *working* V8 in it!

Sounded bloody marvelous for and engine the size of your fist.

edit:

Found it. Ferrari 312PB. Took 20,000 over 12 years hours to build. The drawings alone took 3 years.

He built it because it wanted to have the music at home.

Flat 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcQdjf6qRw

Below are pictures of a scratch built 1/5th scale Supermarine Spitfire MK 1 by an English model builder. It's hard to imagine such detail can be accomplished even with super human devotion and dexterity. The pictures and accompanying text are by the model maker, David Glen.

If anyone asked me why I set out to build a Spitfire in one-fifth scale, and detailed to the last rivet and fastener, I would probably be hard-pushed for a practical or even sensible answer. Perhaps the closest I can get is that since a small child I have been awe inspired by R. J.

Mitchell's elliptical winged masterpiece, and that to build a small replica is the closest I will ever aspire to possession.

The job took me well over eleven years, during which there were times I very nearly came to giving the project up for lost. The sheer amount of work involved, countless hours, proved almost too much, were it not for a serendipitous encounter at my flying club in Cambridge with Dr Michael Fopp, Director General of

the Royal Air Force Museum in England.Seeing the near complete fuselage, he urged me to go on and finish the model, promising that he would put it on display. I was flabbergasted, for when I started I had no inkling that my work would end up in a position of honour in one of the world's premier aviation museums.

As I write, the case for the model is being prepared, having been specially commissioned by the museum with a case-maker in Sweden. I have not yet seen it, but from what I hear, it is enormous!

In one respect the story has gone full circle, since it was at Hendon where I started my research in earnest, sourcing Microfilm copies of many original Supermarine drawings, without which such a detailed build would not have been possible.

The model is skinned with litho plate over a balsa core and has been left in bare metal at the suggestion of Michael Fopp, so that the structure is seen to best advantage. The rivets are real and many are pushed into drilled holes in the skin and underlying balsa, but many more are actual mechanical fixings. I have no accurate count, but I suspect that there are at least 19,000!

All interior detail is built from a combination of Supermarine drawings and workshop manuals, plus countless photographs of my own, many of them taken opportunistically when I was a volunteer at the Duxford Aviation Society based at Duxford Airfield, home of the incomparable Imperial War Museum collection in Cambridgeshire, England. Spitfires, in various marks are, dare I say, a common feature there!

The degree of detail is probably obsessive: The needles of the dials in the cockpit actually stand proud of the instrument faces, but you have to look hard to see it! Why the flat canopy? Well, the early Mk.Is had them, and I had no means to blow a bubble hood, so it was convenient. Similarly the covers over the wheels were another early feature and they saved me a challenging task of replicating the wheel castings.

The model has its mistakes, but I'll leave the experts to spot them, as they most certainly will, plus others I don't even know about. I

don't pretend the little Spitfire is perfect, but I do hope it has captured something of the spirit and incomparable beauty of this

magnificent fighter - perhaps the closest to a union that art and technology have ever come - a killing machine with lines that are

almost sublime. So, with the model now in its magnificent new home, what comes next?

Well, I'm planning a book that will have a lot to say about its genesis and perhaps just a little about me and those dear to me, including a long suffering but understanding and supportive wife. And then there's the Mustang. Yes, a 1/5th scale P-51D is already taking shape in my workshop.

How long will it take? I've no idea, but what I am sure of is that at my age (58) I can't expect to be building many of them!

David Glen Whaddon, Cambridge Dec. 06,

And there is some LR content here, as well. During the war Rover started making a stationary version of the Merlin for tank use. It dispensed with the superchargers (I believe) and used cast-iron instead of aluminium for many parts as weight was not a problem. It produced 660 bhp and was called the 'Meteor' and was built at Solihull until the mid-50's. There was also a V8 version used in the Mighty Antar tank transporters, called the 'Meteorite'.

Rover got this contract as compensation for giving over their aircraft propulsion gas turbine work to RR, though they did carry on with their small gas turbine used as an aircraft APU (I used to work on them) and as a water pump. Two men could lift it and it chucked out 88 bhp IIRC. It might have been also used in JET 1, the Rover Le Mans car.

Absolutely fab TV... Had me in hysterics, especially the "decorating"... oh, and the cow bit! I'm still giggling now just thinking about it :D I wonder how many complaints they have had so far!!

Top Gear is still the only reason I pay my TV licence. All three of the presenters are brilliant, each has their own distinct style, and they are the most unlikely bunch to be put together.

I really want to write something profound and political about it, but at the end of the day, it's just good wholesome fun.

Nearly brough a tear to my eye when JC said something about being on a road trip with his mates being the best thing ever. I know, I've been there, and it is. I may be reading into that too much, but I reckon they all really appreciate the relationship they have.

D :)