The oddest thing you have towed

jules

when i was doing a lot of contract work for the MOD, we towed some wooden structures that were 5 metres wide from the workshop to the site... its quite odd having to look at lamp posts on both sides of the road, to make sure you don't hit them (and yes, it was all on private land)

i also towed a 20' lorry body, on a 16' Ifor Williams trailer behind my 110... as soon as i went above 30mph the tail started wagging the dog....

i also towed a 40' artic that had broken down in southampton a few years ago, that felt very odd...

In our youthful days we thought is was almost legal (not clever though) to "tow" my untaxed (but MOT'd) V8 S1 on a rigid bar behind a Suzuki LJ80 when we were going to play in the Highlands... I'd drive the V8 to help the Suzuki and more often than not, the lads in the LJ would switch it off and get pushed. Theory was if we got pulled, they'd bump start the LJ, I'd turn off the V8 "we was towing officer, honest". :rolleyes:

Our scheme developed when one of the other boys aquired an 80" S1 with no roof and wanted to join in... so we stuck him at the back on a rope and he wore goggles to keep the stoor out of his eyes :ph34r:

Now it was 80" S1 at the back, V8 S1 in the middle (driving) on a rigid bar to the LJ80 at the front.... :D

Early one Sunday, we were leaving the village, picking up speed with the V8 roaring and at the last minute saw a set of blue lights hiding behind a dyke... I took my foot off the throttle and all of us coasted past grinning at the two coppers who were having a fly cuppie... Fortunately, they just raised their newspapers higher and we horsed on... I dread to think how many tickets they could have given us :D

Just after xmas on of the guys at work asked me if I could move a trailer for him. He said his dad wanted a 6x4 shed moving from the garden to his allotment, his mates from the pub would put it on his dads trailer in the garden, but he no longer had a vehicle with a tow hitch to move the trailer.

I said I would one night after work when the shed was on the trailer.

I turn up to move it the next week and theres a 20 year old 6x4 shed, fully assembled, tied to the top of a 6x4 trailer! They has basically just got 8 lads to lift it up and dump it on the trailer!

Thankfully the allotment was only a mile or so away and it was a quiet road so I took itthere at 10mile an hour and left it outside the allotment.

Wish I had a pic of it, looked pretty funny.

Jas

At the weekend I towed a trailer on a trailer :unsure:

On Thursday night JST put my trailer in his trailer and took it away for temporary storage (thanks again) after wheel bearing melt down and wheel loss on the Avon bridge (M5). A brown trouser moment for me, SWMBO, the two dogs in the back of the disco, and the traffic in the nearside lanes as I headed for the hard shoulder.

• 2 years later...

I had to collect a damaged Cessna 182 light aircraft.

I put the fuselage on the car trailer with the wheels hanging over the side and strapped the winds to the side of the fuselage.

Tailplane was complete and attached. I hung a bit of rag on it incase someone didn't see it.

Towed it behind a Transit van.

Cheers

David

I once towed my brother whilst he steered a reliant robin through Pudsey. He ran over the towrope with the front wheel on a roundabout. I set off on the exit and the front of the reliant flipped up about four feet in the air. He shat himself, never let me forget it.

0-60 in ???? :D

rollsportkabin.jpg

We do some odd things in this part of the world but sometimes its great fun :D

Some people here have moved entire houses using a similar technique - jack it up, built a sleigh under it, hitch a few tractors on and off you go, truly a mobile home :)

that view is amazing! O/T sorry, :ph34r:

In our youthful days we thought is was almost legal (not clever though) to "tow" my untaxed (but MOT'd) V8 S1 on a rigid bar behind a Suzuki LJ80 when we were going to play in the Highlands... I'd drive the V8 to help the Suzuki and more often than not, the lads in the LJ would switch it off and get pushed. Theory was if we got pulled, they'd bump start the LJ, I'd turn off the V8 "we was towing officer, honest". :rolleyes:

Our scheme developed when one of the other boys aquired an 80" S1 with no roof and wanted to join in... so we stuck him at the back on a rope and he wore goggles to keep the stoor out of his eyes :ph34r:

Now it was 80" S1 at the back, V8 S1 in the middle (driving) on a rigid bar to the LJ80 at the front.... :D

Early one Sunday, we were leaving the village, picking up speed with the V8 roaring and at the last minute saw a set of blue lights hiding behind a dyke... I took my foot off the throttle and all of us coasted past grinning at the two coppers who were having a fly cuppie... Fortunately, they just raised their newspapers higher and we horsed on... I dread to think how many tickets they could have given us :D

.... honest officer theres a stonking great V8 in the zuk :P

unfortunately, i cant match whats already been said, one day mind, one day...... :rolleyes:

When i was a yoof! i had a two door RRC, i was into rallying then, i had gone to recover my mates astra after he had broken it....anyway got back to the pits, got it on the trailer, got all the gear loaded back on, ie massive tool box, spare tyres etc and full of passengers when another guy asked if he could have a tow home as he had broken his engine, he had driven to the event, so we had a Rangerover plus trailer with car etc, and towing another car....police told me to get home quickley as he did`nt want the paperwork....much better days then

Years ago I was given an old series 11 with a rotten chassis for spares to add to my collection by a friend of my Dads a few miles down the road. We set off with my Dad towing me in his Bedford van with just an old tow rope. I soon realised just how rotten the chassis was as it started to fold as I was dragged along the road, Dad blissfully unaware of my screaming. By the time we arrived the steering wheel was touching the seat swab with only the roof holding it together and me screaming blue murder, legs akimbo, at my highly amused dad. he still thinks its funny, old b*&"*^

I helped set up an event in a park where we had a load of Land Rovers showing off over logs and stuff. As part of the show I used my S3 2 1/4 petrol Safari to tow a train of 20 Land Rovers around an arena. The line was so long it went around two corners of the arena at a time with the ones near the front being dragged sideways a little on the grass.

At the same show when setting up I needed to move a 25' tree trunk across the park. I didn't have a trailer to put it on and didn't want to drag it across the grass so we put one end of the tree in the back of my Safari and the other end in the back of a S2 SWB BMC diesel. We then set off with the SWB leading and me reversing all the way. Couldn't go too fast or I'd push the SWB with the tree and couldn't go too slow or I'd drop the tree. A fun and testing long reverse drive around the park. What didn't help was that I was at the back but I was also the one who knew the way so I was shouting directions through the open back doors.

At another show I towed a 36 ton ballasted Thornycroft Antar with the same Safari on a slightly up hill concrete service road just for the fun of trying.

I was leaving my 6x6 at a friend's place in Norfolk when I was moving house. It had the contents of my garage in the back and so weighed in at about 4 1/2 ton. The timing belt came off and left it stranded at the bottom of the hill leading to my friend's land. All we had to move it was my Skoda Estelle and a 500kg hand ratchet winch. We tried towing it with the Skoda but even with the service brakes on it couldn't even hold the dead weight of the 6x6 on the slope. So we used the Skoda as an anchor with bricks as wheel chocks and hand winched the 6x6 up the hill. We had to move the Skoda up the hill a bit for every 4' of winching. That was a long night! For some daft reason I can't remember, we didn't think of using the electric winch on the front of the 6x6.

Coming home one day I found some sod had parked a twin wheel transit in front of my drive on a private road. A load of beeping and calling out didn't find the driver so I put a rope around the back axle and towed it backwards up the road with a 2.0i Montego. It left long twin wheel skid marks to show the hand brake worked and I bent the tow bar a little but it felt good.

I bought an AEC Matador and put it on my drive. I was on my own and messing with it and let it roll down the drive and into the road finding out in the process that the service brakes didn't work. It bumped the stone wall opposite and knocked it down. I tried to fire up the engine but the batteries were flat. I couldn't leave it there to charge up the batteries so I had to move it. The car was also in the drive next to the Mat but there wouldn't be enough room to tow the Mat from behind without leaving my car trapped behind the Mat and next to the house. I put the Montego next to the Mat and put a rope around the front axle of the Mat and to the Montego. A lot of tyre rubber was left as I found out the Montego wouldn't pull a 7 ton Mat up the drive. Next attempt I anchored the rope to the house by poking it through an airbrick and putting a bit of timber through the rope eye inside the house. The rope went under the Mat and through a snatch block on the Mat's front axle and then to the Montego. Two to one pull and the Montego managed to move the Mat. The rope needed shortening a few times before the Mat made it all the way up the drive. Needless to say I chocked the wheels on the Mat each time.

I acquired some granite cobbles, 5 tons in two trips. They were shared out between the back of the Montego and a little box trailer on 10" mini wheels. How ever you look at it, all the tyres needed a little more air on that drive.

On 'acquiring' a set of stone gateposts from a neighbouring house I dragged them out of the ground and to mine with a 110 V8. The posts were 8' long and 12" square wrapped in 2x4 timber to protect them from the road.

My best tow was the first trip to the bush after I bought the Disco. Every-one put sh*t on me for buying it but the biggest sh*t slinger was my best mate in a lifted Daihatsu Rocky with all the gear. Well he ran out of diesel didn't he and had to get towed back to the campsite past eeeeveryone by the Landrover. That shut him up :lol: