Good Effort!

Spearos

I thought, in the olden days, you could drive right to the top?

I have walked up it (caught the train down though) and thought how straightforward it would be to drive. I think this feeling was exacerbated by the appalling weather that day - thinking I'd rather be in my Land Rover!

Si

I understand he's been barred fom a funtera forum for this.

that's their membership down to 1 then.

On a serious note, for one day a year they should open it up to a limited number of vehicles anyway. you could apply in advance for a permit and be able to drive to the top if your vehicle is up to it. It's not overly challenging but would be a good experience.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about, he doesn't seem to have caused a huge amount, if any damage. OK I agree he should not have done it but it's now got to the point of stupidity what with all the talk of dismantling it and bringing it down on the train or indeed having it air lifted off and handing him the bill, common sense should prevail give him a stern talking to telling him what an idiot he has been and to jump back in and get the bl**dy thing off there ASAP and don't be so daft as to go to the next big mountain and try the same there and leave it at that. But I bet there's some tree hugger somewhere saying that unless we make an example of him and send him to jail for longer than a murderer then everybody with a 4x4 will turn up on the weekends and attempt to drive up there, or something equally as dim as that. Rant over lol.

That said I do like the idea of some places like this being opened to pre registered people maybe once a year as suggested above, and I only think it's been a stupid thing for him to have done because the powers that be say your not allowed to do it, thus making it illegal and so giving responsible 4x4 users a bad name, but at the rate the areas that we are allowed to roam are decreasing there will be no such thing as 'responsible' 4x4 users unless you buy your own couple of acres to play on and even then you won't be allowed to invite friends around without having some sort of public liability insurance, I'm ranting again are'nt I? Lol. All the best to him and I hope common sense will prevail.

i gt stopped by the police in bakewell carpark the other day and as my land rover was muddy they asked us if we had been illegally off roading, we said no, cos we hadnt, we went to my mates farm who has an ex quarry to play with, they then asked us where it was which we thought was a bit rude cos they shouldnt need to know, but we told them. they then gave us a little card and sent us on our way

• 3 weeks later...

As funny as it is, it's not good for the image of 4x4s and their users. I'm sure the 'hiker/walking' type of person will not at all be impressed, and it's this kind of person once alienated that contribute to the closure of greenlanes, byways etc. The Ridgeway here in Oxfordshire being a prime example...

I thought, in the olden days, you could drive right to the top?

I have walked up it (caught the train down though) and thought how straightforward it would be to drive. I think this feeling was exacerbated by the appalling weather that day - thinking I'd rather be in my Land Rover!

Si

Si,

More of a challenge if he drove it up in reverse and never made it to the top !

Richard

Well it was on ebay being auctioned to raise money for the mountain rescue lot, but that has mysteriously been cancelled. It would be pretty stupid of the owner to drive it back up again seeing as his court case isn't finished yet... he still has charges of dangerous driving apparently.

Although this story says he was up Snowdon yesterday..... checking the route maybe?

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/09/29/rogue-4x4-reappears-on-snowdon-summit