just found out that rover developed a diesel v8... how awesome would t

discomikey

The Ford/JLR offerings of late have been well thought out engines, usually with more than one application.

:hysterical:

Nice to drive, yes, and multiple applications, but I wouldn't call them well thought out. They've been designed by a computer to be very clever, which is fine when they are new and it all works. Computers know nothing about the sort of attention to detail that you can't calculate, which means their computer never told them that when you put thin-walled steel glow plugs into an alloy head, dissimilar metal corrosion freezes them solid in the holes, so when the plugs go pop after 3/4 years (as they will in any engine) and you try and get them out, they snap off, then you've got to strip the entire engine to bits to get the heads off to take them to a machine shop still run by the sort of old boy who has experience that the factory lost years ago, who will carefully machine out the bits left in the head and mean that you narrowly escape having to buy two new heads with what that would cost! Not to mention a job that takes a couple of hours on any other engine puts your vehicle off the road for a couple of weeks.

I've seen several like that just here, expect many more in the years to come. 2.7 TDV6, the others probably have the same "feature". More to the point I don't think I've ever seen a set changed without breaking some off.

Great engines to drive, pull like a train, quiet and lots of other pluses, but not well thought out...

Rant over :)

You've obviously never seen the Cummins V18 QSV91 then? All 91 litres of it. :)

id rather have a big CAT than a cummins. then again if perko ever did a v18 91 litre engine it would by far outperform and outlast that gay cummins stuff.

my mates just put a 6BT in his 90 and its a bag of nails

then again if perko ever did a v18 91 litre engine it would by far outperform and outlast that gay cummins stuff.

Judging by the NVH emitted by the steaming pile of excrement I have seen with the Perkins name on it, a 91 litre V18 made by Perkins would produce so much noise and vibration it would liquefy the internal organs of everybody within 7 miles! :rolleyes:

I mistakenly parked next to a Perkins engined RR outside a shop the other day, I'd forgotten what a tractor it is.

id rather have a big CAT than a cummins. then again if perko ever did a v18 91 litre engine it would by far outperform and outlast that gay cummins stuff.

my mates just put a 6BT in his 90 and its a bag of nails

So cummins makes carp engines....and you say so because you have seen a single motor, that could just possible be a crappy neglected one just like any engine can be, that your mates stuffed into a LR and runs rough or whatever. :glare:

So cummins makes carp engines....and you say so because you have seen a single motor, that could just possible be a crappy neglected one just like any engine can be, that your mates stuffed into a LR and runs rough or whatever. :glare:

i have had lots of experience with all kinds of diesel engines large or small. weve owned CASE tractors before (cummins powered), and hated them

have owned massey tractors ever since (perkins powered) and absolutely love them. yes its not completely the engine that made the cases carp. although in our experiences, the old saying CASE... Carry A Spare Engine, was pretty accurate. :)

i totally agree that the engine that is stuck into my mates 90 could be a "bad egg" as he has had the conversion finished less than a month, and hes only managed to drive it about 3 times, and one of those times the turbo dropped its seals.

i would rather have a land rover engine (only tdi or newer though), then a perko, then CAT, then gardner. cummins generally wouldnt come into my mind :)

but it is personal preference

i have had lots of experience with all kinds of diesel engines large or small. weve owned CASE tractors before (cummins powered), and hated them

have owned massey tractors ever since (perkins powered) and absolutely love them. yes its not completely the engine that made the cases carp. although in our experiences, the old saying CASE... Carry A Spare Engine, was pretty accurate. :)

i totally agree that the engine that is stuck into my mates 90 could be a "bad egg" as he has had the conversion finished less than a month, and hes only managed to drive it about 3 times, and one of those times the turbo dropped its seals.

i would rather have a land rover engine (only tdi or newer though), then a perko, then CAT, then gardner. cummins generally wouldnt come into my mind :)

you do realise that your mate has fitted a nail of a 6BT into a Nail of a 90?

although to be fair the power the yanks can achieve out of the 6BT is quite impressive, however as a wise man once said:

you cant polish a turd, but you can sure roll it in glitter

The cummins in the Case MX series was far better than the perkins that McCormick fitted. Why we bought 2 of the last Case MX110's where I used to work instead of McCormick after having both on demo.

Everything has its bad points, i've had a massey split its turbo in half and another set the fire proof engine cover on fire both perkins but i'd still have a massey over a gutless deere (dons tin hat).

I've been watching your mates 90 and its a shame looks abit of a lash up :( but fair play to him for trying. I will be slotting a 6bt into a landy at some point for sure.

Will.

So are we all agreed, the best place for a diesel is in a tractor.

Hat, coat etc.

I think we are all agreed that Land Rover tried to make a V8 Diesel at some point ..... I doubt anything else in this thread could be interpreted as agreement .... even by a politician! ;)

The Isuzu 4BD1T is the ultimate Landy diesel, and it was factory fitted too :P

I had no idea about the factory 3.5 diesel.

A mate i used to work with was an ex-Jaguar/Rover Australia engineer (did the transmission for the ADF 6x6 Perentie, amongst other things) and was building his own 4.4l alloy blocked diesel (the Australian 4.4 block from the early/mid seventies that was based on the Rover 3.5 block)

He was actually using the Australian Leyland Terrier truck block (forged crank, four bolt mains)

300 Tdi pistons just slotted straight in, and he was using dual Bosch VE pumps, but it never got any further than that.

This was around '94-'95

apparently they developed a diesel v8 with a turbo at around 150bhp, based on the rover 3.5 block.

i found it on wikipedia. its called project iceberg, and they gave up on the idea because they couldnt get the cooling right and the heads didnt agree with it or something.

Something I read recently on AROnline that I found interesting, was the development of the inline 6 cylinder engine for the Rvoer SD1. In 2.6 litre guise prototype motors were making 150hp, vs 155hp for the 3.5 Rover V8. So the 6 was a good engine in design, although heavily restricted output in production. But the block was hugely over engineered, so some hypothesize it would have made a much better starting point for a bigger displacement diesel than using the RV8.

Makes you wonder what might have been.

so, you reckon you could pick up a cheap 2.6 petrol and diseasel it?

that could be something to play with, as a turbo dieseasel 6cyl land rover based engine would be awesome. and a direct fit into a 109 given the right bulkhead

I know these were used in Oz, but do you have any specific production info or even LR part numbers for the engines?

The NA engines were industrial/stationary engines bought from Isuzu and adapted to the LT95 and 85.

Both bellhousings did have LR part numbers but are unique to Australia.

The LT85 one is sought after as it can be re-worked to mate to the R380.

The 4BD1T's were truck engines bought from Isuzu and mostly powered the 6x6 Perentie, although it sounds like a couple of 4x4 turbo's left the Moorebank factory.

There's stacks of info on www.aulro.com in the isuzu section here http://www.aulro.com/afvb/isuzu-landy-enthusiasts-section/

so, you reckon you could pick up a cheap 2.6 petrol and diseasel it?

that could be something to play with, as a turbo dieseasel 6cyl land rover based engine would be awesome. and a direct fit into a 109 given the right bulkhead

Mikey, I think you might just be that little bit spark plug curious, it's nothing to be ashamed of you know :)