just found out that rover developed a diesel v8... how awesome would t

discomikey

apparently they developed a diesel v8 with a turbo at around 150bhp, based on the rover 3.5 block.

i found it on wikipedia. its called project iceberg, and they gave up on the idea because they couldnt get the cooling right and the heads didnt agree with it or something.

If they had put the engine into production they may have run into the same problems that GM found when they modified petrol V8's into diesel units back in the 'seventies & those were iron lumps not alloy, which I would have thought even less durable. Mind you, the russkies built alloy diesels in the last war - V12's in the T34 tank.

looks like they've been trying to create the derv v8 for a while now,the figures for the new rr v8 diesel are impressive... quote

"The new engine uses sequential turbocharging to generate 309bhp (a 15 per cent boost on the outgoing engine) and 516lb ft of torque. Claimed fuel economy is now 30.1mpg on the Combined cycle (an 18.5 per cent improvement), and CO2 output sits at 253g/km (down 14 per cent from the old model's 294g/km).

The performance increase means that the Range Rover now accelerates from 0-62mph in 7.5 seconds. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/land-rover/7837428/New-V8-diesel-for-2011-Range-Rover.html

makes you wonder where landrover would be now had they been succesfull back in the 70's

I used to know a chap who was into comp safari in a big way and he told me that one day a chap he knew who must have worked for BL development turned up driving a works Sherpa van to take him someware. It went as would be expected for a 3.5ltr petrol but was noted to be a bit rattly, when they got back this was commented on by my aquaintance who was also big into V8 petrols & the response was to pop the bonnet revealing a V8 3.5Ltr diesel. I was also told that the engines failing was that the cranks used to fall out due to the main bearing bolts either stripping the threads in the block or they unscrewed themselves.

2.7tdv6 is a family of "lion" engines the 3.6 and now 4.4 v8 diesel are progressions of these.

http://en.wikipedia.....4_Turbo_Diesel

The twin turbo 4.4 diesel is immense throttle lag is amost zero, and pulls like a train. The Ford/JLR offerings of late have been well thought out engines, usually with more than one application.

tdv6 in disco, jag diesels and PSA

rrsport =4.2 supercharger and 4.4 in jag xkr

defender uses transit block

If you fancy the american version, 6.7l powerstroke @ 400hp is out soon in the states.

I'm obviously a diesel fan, ^_^ Pete