DC100 not the new Defender.......

Seen the light? Or missed the mark again?

Good for evolving markets like brazil and china??

How about a good looking, tough and functional 4x4 with comfort and gadgets at a good price for the UK market? Just like the other major brands are offering like the L200, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Wrangler etc etc

I always feel like LR seem to make either the Defender or a whole host of posh baby Range Rover type stuff...

However we like it or not, the Defender as we know it has to change. Future regulations in UK and current ones elsewhere will eventually make it unsaleable.

However as places like India are likely to be some way behind in this respect, maybe it still has a market there if the cost can be cut to an affordable level.

While I was waiting to collect my battered old 90 from its MOT, I looked over a high-ish spec 90 station wagon this week at our local stealer. £31K was the price tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you consider the luxury available in a Freelander for considerably less £, how can such a high price be justified on the crude (relative) offerings of the Defender???

If nothing else the Defender needs redesigning to cut manufacturing costs.

The salesman told me 2015 was the end of life date for the current Defender, so they better come up with something pronto!

It does kind of tie in with a comment I read on one of the previous DC100 threads on here that the current style of Defender would be kept for certain export markets..... Which could cut manufacturing costs if it is sold in kit form for local assembly....

So in India they may well end up with a DC100 and a Defender but in the UK/EU/USA we end up with just the DC100. Land Rovers official press releases were certainly pushing the DC100 as the Defender replacement.

However we like it or not, the Defender as we know it has to change. Future regulations in UK and current ones elsewhere will eventually make it unsaleable.

Agreed. As LR have to have a replacement it comes down to whether it is a corny pastiche that looks Defender-ish (in the same way a BMW Mini and VW Beetle vaguely resemble the original vehicles) or a complete rethink.

Personally I vote for a complete redesign. The trouble is that the DC100 doesn't look the part to me....

Could LR get the Defender price down by de-blinging them? I really fail to see why they should cost that much or is it that they don't cost that much it's just what LR perceive the market will stomach?

I think it's because they're hand-built with a UK labour force who are quite expensive = un-economical vehicle. I'd be interested to know how long it takes the factory to put one together.

I heard that if the Defender does carry on in it's current form then it'll be built in India

mmmmm I loikes corny pastiche, with zider. :D

Oi do too - 'specially those west Cornwall ones!

Could LR get the Defender price down by de-blinging them? I really fail to see why they should cost that much or is it that they don't cost that much it's just what LR perceive the market will stomach?

Well I suppose the original kind of people who bought Defenders and their ancestors were not fussed about heated seats and electric windows. To be honest though I think much of the cost in the current Defender is the amount of man hours per vehicle. Maybe redesigning and re-tooling the body pressings would reduce assembly time and costs?

Current cost is down to man hours to build - having been on the factory tour you soon see how laour intensive it is to build.

I quite like a few creature comforts in mine - the heated screen and seats are great in winter, I could live without metalic paint, alloys and carpet though.

Defenders, apparently cost more to build than Range Rovers - which puts it in to some perspective. I think the 'bling' is just added to make you feel that you're getting better value while it costs LR relatively little.

On that basis, the current defender is really very good value!

The only way to make it cheaper is to re-design it so it can be built on an automated production line - more like a Freelander, or dare I say, a DC100 - and you know how well that went down!

Si

The only way to make it cheaper is to re-design it so it can be built on an automated production line - more like a Freelander, or dare I say, a DC100 - and you know how well that went down!

Si

Or build it in a different country ....... which would probably go down as well as the DC100 has....

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread revival ....

Piece here saying DC100 so well received it will be an entry level land rover based on the évoque:

http://topmotors.com/news/post/new-2013-dc100-concept-to-be-entry-level-land-rover

One here saying some sad but inevitable things about the Defender replacement:

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/plans-new-land-rover-defender-shaken

I just wish they would get on with it and say what they are doing and approximately when. "The new Defender" has been around as an idea for at least ten years and they never build it. I would like to see the old model continue in some form as there is a need for it, and a new model to complement it with proper off road ability and ground clearance, reasonable on road refinement, sensible steel bumpers and beam axles, comfortable but practical interior, and a good 6 cylinder common rail diesel fitted. I want one to replace my Discovery 2 and it's now getting old and won't last forever.

I think the Defender name is very emotive for most of us and we were up in arms when they came out with the DC100 LR Offender, and saw it as a deliberate attempt to cash in on the Defender as a brand, by launching a hairdressers 4 x 4 as a replacement.

We all know car mfrs , however venial or not they might be, still have to think with their heads and not their hearts, but the Defender wasn't the first name used for an LR utility vehicle, and doesn't have to be the future.

So I wish they would put the Defender name on hold, launch the DC100 as a mini Discovery, and then throw some of the huge profits they will be making from this, the RR, RR sport, Discovery, Ewok, and Freelander into producing a utility vehicle for modern times which would live up to the past, and could be a Defender or have an entirely new name.

Just a thought

Barry

If JEEP can do it & sell in Europe with their Wrangler models why can't LR,

the wrangler has airbags & looks virtually the same as it's predecessor

http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/wrangler_unlimited/safety_security/safety_security_tour/

i coundnt agree more. LR took a jeep and made it better. they should do the same again but maybe base it on the jeep nitro as it also has similar body looks(all be it a bit less "brick" like) :hysterical::i-m_so_happy:

i coundnt agree more. LR took a jeep and made it better. they should do the same again but maybe base it on the jeep nitro as it also has similar body looks(all be it a bit less "brick" like) :hysterical::i-m_so_happy:

I think we all agree they could do this. Just needs a smidgen of corporate awareness and a substantial relocation of resources and faith.

They could move the marque forward, and lets be honest - non of us want the alternative.

Barry

But for every Defender they sell, they're selling 10x or more Range Rover, Disco, Freelander, Evoque and making far more profit on them too. How many on here would ever actually be likely to walk into a dealer and spam down £20k for a brand new Defender? For all the bleating, enthusiasts are not their target market, and throwing millions at pleasing them with a new defender would be a complete waste of money - and no-one would like it anyway 'cos it would have too much electronics etc. etc.

Incidentally, FL2 and Evoque are the same platform, so a DC100 based on that would presumably take the designers a couple of lunchtimes to knock out - let's face it, the original Disco was a parts-bin special to bail LR out of having the Japanese 4x4's eating their lunch and was one of their best works.

^^What he says^^ [although I have been known to walk into a dealer and spam down x amount for a new one :ph34r: ]

Me too. Out of 3 Def 90s, a Def 110SW, a Freelander (sorry) and three Discoverys, only four were new, but I feel qualified to express an opinion on what I might buy :)

Brand credibility is still important. Everybody hears "Land Rover" and thinks of manly outdoor types hauling lifeboats about or winching trees with their Defenders, rather than some haw-haw prat poncing about Chelsea in shiny shoes, a pink shirt and a new RR. Same with Jeep - which one do you think of when somebody says Jeep? The Wrangler of course, or the Willys. Get rid of the brand anchor and you will eventually get rid of the brand credibility. It might be low volume and it might not make much profit, but it still sells the posh ones.