Is Britpart Really That Bad

mcc1979ian

Blimey, you would've thought by now we'd have all learnt to not buy BP parts, Yes I appreciate that there maybe a few parts they do that could be up to the job-Not that many obviously!! otherwise we'd not still be moaning about them after all this time..

John

I forgot about this thread, never did fit the brake discs as I sold them on to a mate who needed them quick sharp fpr the TUV as he failed on them and as work snowballed I never bothered to order them again.

Paul did say they fitted perfectly fine and as they've neen on over a year now and 20,000kms and he's still alive so, they must have been good ones.

I have had a good experience with britpart products,

I once brought a set of mud flaps for a 90 , they came un drilled ( as hoped ) so I drilled the holes and fitted um, that was over a year ago and there just dandy still

Apart from that I have been very dissapointed on quirpte a few occasions

My chosen supplier from Devon has a note on there system to not send me blue boxes

Hey again,

Most of my gaskets made from BP have failed. One of the most boring ones was the gasket that i seated in the front axle surrounding the drive shaft. I had to replace that after 3 months with a genuine because of a big leak. Just passed 4 months now and still good. I change the oil pan seal this weekend but even if I had a BP lying around I bought a genuine one. No dripping yet. The work took 7h so im not doing that again if I do not have to! Yes I also changed the oil pump bolt with a genuine with extra threadlock.

I do have a BP CV joint installed and that is still working after 12 months.. Lets see how that goes!

I had Britpart discs and callipers all round on my old disco without and problems.

I have a Britpart water pump on my 200 tdi that's still going after four years.

My Britpart crank rear oil seal is holding up without any leaks.

Just fitted a Britpart outrigger to my 90 and it fit perfect and was well made.

I have a Britpart fuel tank sender unit and it works perfect.

I know I must be lucky but for the price I cant really complain

I have not had real problems with them either, and that includes discs, calipers, a clutch, Rover V8 cam and followers...............

The only things that come to mind as being carp, was wiper blades.

I wouldnt fit their filters though, but only because I believe in good filtration by only a couple of manufacturers.

IMO a lot of people out there who moan about them, do not have any direct experience themselves, only what they have heard or read somewhere, and lets not forget, there are also a lot of people out there who have no real idea what they are doing.

Also, what do you REALISTICALLY expect for a fifth of the price (or less) than genuine ?

I have a problem with my td5 top rad hose, when the bleed screw sheared off I cut the pipe at that point and put a rigid joiner in. As a fix it has always suffered from the shape of the hose at that point and is difficult to seal 100%. (remnant of bleed screw port plus adjacent branch etc.) I recently put silicon hoses on the turbo and thought I would look for a silicon replacement. I find not much choice, one reputable manufacturer I found at £113 and BP (to be available April) at £40. Dare I risk the Blue Box on this occasion?? :unsure:

;) Blanco, Britpart is like that dodgy kebab after a few beers ..... you know you shouldn't but the price is oh so tempting ..... and if you are unlucky you might end up paying for it in the morning..... :P

This is sounding a bit like an AA (pun intended) meeting, so in the spirit of it ......

I have a Britpart CV fitted and it's been fine for about 20,000 miles, also looked at two samples of a BritPart brake line T-Piece that they couldn't manage to even tap the ports properly (thread on only one side of the hole :blink: )

;) Blanco, Britpart is like that dodgy kebab after a few beers ..... you know you shouldn't but the price is oh so tempting ..... and if you are unlucky you might end up paying for it in the morning..... :P

So true. I've just had my fuel sender unit give up. Britpart one is £10 ish, Genuine is £45 ish. Is it worth a tenner to try the BP one first? if it lasts ages its a result, and if it doesnt I've only lost a tenner.

Although i could save the trouble if anyone has experience of a series 3 fuel tank sender unit (623097)

Maybe there should be a thread that just has a list of BP part numbers and a rating? :)

Just p!ssing myself laughing here, I ordered ten instrument indicator lamps from paddocks to replace the rather old ones in my 90 dash.

First two out of the box were duff ..... 80â„… success, a bit away from six sigma but hey they were cheap.

I have had a couple of problems recently within the build of Rusty and that was some very randomly punched holes in gaskets, a bagged set of drive flange gaskets that were thinner than A4 copy paper for 3 of them and one that was cut from a cornflake packet by the thickness, then dare I mention the new "direct replacement" heater blower motor for the ventilation, it comes pre-assembled with the resistor pack spot welded to the motor casing, problem there is that the Discover 1 200Tdi ventilation air box requires the motor to be a friction fit in a cylindrical plastic housing, so, you have to mutilate the motor housing to get the resistor mount off only to find that the motor casing is of a smaller diameter than the hole it goes in, no sending it back as you mutilated it to get it to fit, it has to be shimmed in place with strips of tin and adhesive sealant, then we get to the resistor pack, oh my, barely 2/3 the size of the genuine one and badly crimped connections and not a drop of solder on any of the joints, the converter cable taped to the box was very good quality as the original component is for a RRC I believe and requires this converter cable to make it fit the Disco.

Most are probably aware that I have been very neutral about BP and stood up for them for parts that I had in the past and stood up for the warranty, paff, the warranty means s4!t all as they do not respond to your emails and when they do they don't actually do anything about the problems. The contact I had there before has bailed and moved over to Bearmach.

Just my most recent experiences.

Barry, I went as far as to email them a video of how bad the motor fit was in the housing, even got the verniers out to show the 2mm difference in the motors, had rather a lot on my plate within my rebuild at that particular point in time and just put it down to a miss fitting part, it is the fact that the timing chest is in bits currently as I am busy with the seals and gaskets to try and cure some of the leaks, the supplier was "certain" they had genuine gaskets in stock but turned out not to be genuine but I thought to myself "no chance they could get a card gasket wrong", wanted spare drive flange gaskets to go in my spares box and picked them up too, now waiting to be hurt by LR Belgium for genuine gaskets, the seals I bought were genuine from LR and I suppose I should have just ordered the gaskets at the same time.

Just seems rather unsettling that for so many years I had good quality parts from them and now everything is s4!t and the suppliers are getting very nervous of me when I start to complain, I do get instant refunds now or exchange for genuine at no extra cost, it's not that I spend an awful lot of money with them but when the temper flairs it can get rather messy rather quickly!!

If I still have the video I will post it up.

Britpart Radiator -leaked from a pipe join to the end tank from new, took it out and put it in the garage, brother threw a bit of metal at it and punctured it so no return :(

Their swivel kits are an absolute JOKE.

Britpart Radiator -leaked from a pipe join to the end tank from new, took it out and put it in the garage, brother threw a bit of metal at it and punctured it so no return :(

Their swivel kits are an absolute JOKE.

I heard from my local dealer that the plastic end tanks are prone to bursting................