Is Britpart Really That Bad

mcc1979ian

To be fair, I have just received a full refund (including return postage) from Adventure 4x4 in Morley, for my dodgy radiator. The second time I have had good follow up service from them.

I've had nothing but good service from Adventure 4x4-leeds, regardless of wether I've been buying from e-blag or even at an autjoumble, they seem to be good down to earth people, to deal with them and they are as I am straight talking-yes I have to be diplomatic as far as work goes, but when you need to be straight talking-the businesss end speaks volumes

John

Fitted a Britpart headlight to my RRC, it worked but you could actually see a dark spot in the centre of the lense when it's on, compared to the genuine Wipac next to it which did look properly.

But it worked for a few years, so not going to complain too much, especially considering the price.

I also fitted a Britpart indicator to my P38, the lamp that came with it was dead, but apart from that it worked fine.

• 8 months later...

...I should have left it at the suppliers.....a new OEM def front prop in a bag with Britpart label on , this was to replace one that was

18 months old that the client had fitted himself that had thrown all the needles out of both uj's in 4k miles . The one I took off had the

same irrelevant QC passed sticker on it so can only assume it was from the same source .

I replaced the grease nipples with long ones that the grease gun actually fits and bolted up . I then greased up only to see grease coming out round the circlip

on one cup , the end has split away from the rest of the cup ...........I mean ffs it's not rocket science is it ? It's clear to me that Britpart have no engineering or manufacturing standards at all , I know what I'd like to do with it , but I'll just take it off and return it . The client still has the original genuine LR one with slight

spline wear so I'll be fitting Hardy Spicer uj's to it and fitting that .

Never again , utter carp :rtfm:

cheers

Steveb

Britpart Radiator -leaked from a pipe join to the end tank from new, took it out and put it in the garage, brother threw a bit of metal at it and punctured it so no return :(

I heard from my local dealer that the plastic end tanks are prone to bursting................

Mine is doing it's job for 2.5 years now without problems. Keeping my fingers crossed :P.

• 3 months later...

I'm glad some find good service, but would like to remind everyone, especially those who seem to think the retailer is being unusually decent or kind, that when you purchase any item, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, and under the sale of goods act, they are compelled by law to replace or refund any item bought that is unfit for purpose. Bad retailers will try to wriggle out of it, and that would be a criminal act. Retailers that do replace items without fuss are merely following the law, not doing you a favour - it is their responsibility to seek their compensation from their suppliers, who will in turn be compensated by the manufacturer. If a retailer says you have to complain to the manufacturer, they are lying and breaking trading law. Plenty do, especially pattern part retailers, so call their bluff and go straight to Trading Standards. As soon as you threaten that, the trader will almost always back down anyway. They only get away with it because so few customers know the rules.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Britpart watts linkage Centre unit bought as a ready made up unit with the 3 bearings already pressed in

Fitted 5/2/16 and centre bearing already failed less than 1 month and less than 500 road miles

Waiting for a response from island 4x4 about a refund

Britpart watts linkage Centre unit bought as a ready made up unit with the 3 bearings already pressed in

Fitted 5/2/16 and centre bearing already failed less than 1 month and less than 500 road miles

Waiting for a response from island 4x4 about a refund

As I said, tell them that the "sales of goods act" requires them to give you an immediate replacement or refund as the part clearly wasn't fit for purpose. Don't wait around for them to mull it over as it is not their position to choose, it is simply the law.

There was someone on Farcebook yesterday talking about a new BP Series light switch that had caught fire and took out an Autosparkes loom with it..... Of course the usually BP fan club came out and blamed it on poor fitting.....

All 3 of them... I heard ##itpart do a two year warranty now in an effort to improve their name. I've worked on the theory if it doesn't move or have seals it will probably be ok having said that many moons ago I had a ##itpart stop/tail melt on me they did replace it but I wasn't brave enough the use it.

Mike

There was someone on Farcebook yesterday talking about a new BP Series light switch that had caught fire and took out an Autosparkes loom with it..... Of course the usually BP fan club came out and blamed it on poor fitting.....

and as usual it caused quite a stir! cant say i help the matter tho. :ph34r:

hoping this doesn't jinks anything, i have 2 britpart items on mine, SS exhaust centre straight thru, which has nice thick flanges and mint tig welding. fitted without hassle and a cubby box but even they couldn't get that wrong...

and as usual it caused quite a stir! cant say i help the matter tho. :ph34r:

hoping this doesn't jinks anything, i have 2 britpart items on mine, SS exhaust centre straight thru, which has nice thick flanges and mint tig welding. fitted without hassle and a cubby box but even they couldn't get that wrong...

Look, you are talking about a company who's QC system failed to spot solid brake pipes, I think your optimism is unfounded...

I occasionally use BP parts, but only as an emergency, they get changed ASAP for a decent quality part.

I find that the problem with Britpart is not poor quality, but variable quality. Some things of theirs that I have had have been good quality and good value, but on the other hand I have had Britpart things that were just rubbish, quite unfit for the job. The problem I find is knowing in to which category the item I want falls before I buy it.

They are generally not manufactures, just wholesellers, so I suppose they are to some extent dependent on their suppliers, which if they are in the Far East may be a problem of consistency. .

As I said, tell them that the "sales of goods act" requires them to give you an immediate replacement or refund as the part clearly wasn't fit for purpose. Don't wait around for them to mull it over as it is not their position to choose, it is simply the law.

Still waiting for island 4x4 to reply

Sent them numerous emails and no response,also tried phoning but just get recorded message nobody bothers to answer

That's the last time im using them for anything and I have spent a lot with them lately

Still waiting for island 4x4 to reply

Sent them numerous emails and no response,also tried phoning but just get recorded message nobody bothers to answer

That's the last time im using them for anything and I have spent a lot with them lately

I had a similar experience with them, but did get a refund in the end

It's a minefield picking through what's good or not. I recently bought a set of Wipac crystal lights from JGS, which arrived in a Britpart box. I didn't even open it, just sent an email asking for a refund. Got a quick response saying "we get this a lot. Open the box and you'll find the actual lights inside are made by Wipac". Sure enough, yep. And I'm very happy with them! But was a scary moment seeing that name on the box. Series swivel balls seem almost impossible to get hold of without arriving in the dreaded blue. Just done a mates S3 for MOT, but what's in the rebuild kit is soul destroying. Rough finish, carp chrome, bearings that just don't "feel" right. Certainly not like a Timken. All fitted OK, but.... yeah. Don't do it unless you must, and avoid brake parts like the plague is my opinion. Another mate with and S2 made this mistake, and was left with wheel cylinders that leaked badly after 6 months. Then again, I've ordered cheap props in my early naivety, and they've been great. You just can't tell beforehand :/

Trouble is, the more people buy the cheap garbage, the more the rest of the supply line suffers and eventually shuts down due to lack of demand. It worries me that in the end, all we will be left with is Britpart pot luck and no alternative. It will be a sad day indeed. Another reason to spend a few more quid and deliberately avoid IMHO.

Torouble is, the more people buy the cheap garbage, the more the rest of the supply line suffers and eventually shuts down due to lack of demand. It worries me that in the end, all we will be left with is Britpart pot luck and no alternative. It will be a sad day indeed. Another reason to spend a few more quid and deliberately avoid IMHO.

Very true, this is why there are no high st butchers, fishmongers or bakers, every one wants Asda, Morrison's or Tesco's (fill with what ever brand suites).

All my reliable indipendent parts stores have signed contracts with @@itpart.

Marc