Defender run - out specials

Happyoldgit

£60k for a leather interior and an ECU map!!!!! WTF! Although the more sad thing is that there are plenty of muppets out there that will likely pay it.

This bit made me laugh:

"It comes fitted with additional underbody protection and Goodyear MT/R tyres to boost the Defender's already class-leading all-terrain capability."

Obviously JLR are completely ignoring the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

• Like 1

Loved the vid, I notice that in the PDF the S1 is shown at 45deg but the Heratige recreation shot is at less that that even though the rocks it is on could support the higher angle, no confidence then??

Marc.

I think they're more for collectors who want one in their collection as they're the last rather than for people to buy and own.

If I had that sort of money to spend on my own car I'd have the 5 door jeep rubicon. Don't know why but I just like them :) Not bad value either really. As I have a works vehicle a jeep would cost me £640pcm in tax, the Isuzu costs me £123pcm. A D4 HSE would cost £880pcm!!! Think i'll stick to a pickup :wacko:

You never know the replacement might be an improvement. As for the run out jobbies - they're nothing special, only the Heritage is ok I suppose but the others are just tarts handbags, mutton dressed as lamb, same old same old etc etc.

Dont hold your breath , defender lost its way a while back , you'll not see a vehicle that has all the attributes of the series/defender again , there will be lots of spin , it started a while back as well , as an example

"It comes fitted with additional underbody protection and Goodyear MT/R tyres to boost the Defender's already class-leading all-terrain capability." apart from a steering guard , its never needed anything else due to the design , they have been making less and less rugged as the years have gone buy . probably be plenty of takers for them tho , as people become more and more susceptible to a virtual reality world . JMHO

The Heritage looks nice. Almost as nice as an early 90, in fact. It's a sad fact that the current world has squeezed out the original concept type of Land Rover. Keeping them outside the E.U. is a good decision and we just have to hope LR still see enough of a market for a truck-type, working off-roader to actually make one again.

I think that, for long-term marketing, keeping the Land Rover reputation by making something like this will pay, even if the "Defender replacement" doesn't actually generate vast profits. After all, that's where the whole image comes from which sells the current softer vehicles.

Dont hold your breath , defender lost its way a while back , you'll not see a vehicle that has all the attributes of the series/defender again , there will be lots of spin , it started a while back as well , as an example

"It comes fitted with additional underbody protection and Goodyear MT/R tyres to boost the Defender's already class-leading all-terrain capability." apart from a steering guard , its never needed anything else due to the design , they have been making less and less rugged as the years have gone buy . probably be plenty of takers for them tho , as people become more and more susceptible to a virtual reality world . JMHO

I tend to dislike huge quotes followed by just a few words in response but I'll make an exception and say that I agree entirely with you. My original comment was more in hope than what will more than likely be reality.

The LR press release is particularly inconclusive about it being the end of the Defender completely:

"As UK production of the current Defender enters its final phase, Land Rover will use 2015 to celebrate its global automotive icon."

You'd think with them having the Special Vehicles division, and commercial partner opportunities like Bowler, that it would have been pretty simple to really pull something out the bag.

I'd have liked to see a TdV6 with some of the TC elec-trickery ported across.

Custom is one thing, getting all the parts manuals and training to the dealers is another and type approval and all that good stuff. Special edition = special badge and 10k on the price. Having said that I am a total sucker for special editions. :-)