Why a land rover and what do you do with it?

sportline

My first car was a Mini 1000 :-)

I put an MG Metro engine in it - I took out out of a metro at the local scrap yard, removed my passenger seat and got the guy in the yard to put it in the mini with his fork lift.

They looked at me like I was a mad lunatic.

I felt like a mad lunatic when on the first left hand bend the engine unbalanced and pinned my left arm against my side.

• Like 1

I put an MG Metro engine in it - I took out out of a metro at the local scrap yard, removed my passenger seat and got the guy in the yard to put it in the mini with his fork lift.

I felt like a mad lunatic when on the first left hand bend the engine unbalanced and pinned my left arm against my side.

Love it :lol::rofl:

It's probably because a mini is the only car you could own and feel a land rover is an upgrade in both performance and comfort :P

It's probably because a mini is the only car you could own and feel a land rover is an upgrade in both performance and comfort :P

I disagree.....I never owned a Mini but my brother had a 1275 GT which was awsome. Power to weight ratio was brilliant and scooted round corners brilliantly........Made me want one but it never happened.

lol. ive always wanted to take a mini, strip it out and put two bike engines in it. i know its been done but......

as for the landrover.... its because i can.

Have you seen that American conversion for the old mini - it uses the Honda VTEC, but with the CRV 4 wheel drive running gear. They look a LOT of fun.

Reliant Kitten with a jag V12, shame it has been done, complete with wheelie bars.

My first car was a Subaru 1800 estate, off road only, then a 950 fiesta, hence my tendency to rev the nuts off stuff, never had a mini, last BL car Io had was an MG montego, and that was terrible apart from the chassis.

So apart from a few hiccups, ive always tried to be a BL / Rover/ Landrover purchaser.

I'll try and do the list in order, but might forget an odd one out

Talbot Sunbeam, 850 Mini, Rover 3500 SD1, Rover 3500 SD1 SE, Rover V8 Vanden Plas EFI, Rover V8 Vittesse, Rover 216, Rover 820, Sherpa ambulance, Isuzu Trooper, Frod Mondeo, Range Rover V8 4.0 P38, Discovery TD5 (still have) newest addition Range Rover L322 4.4 V8.

Together with the old defender 19j in the workshop i have dismantled

and is being reborn as the 4.6 V8 Challenge truck (if i ever get time to get back on track with it)

so for me its a sort of v8 engine, petrol addicton and a sort of buy british thing

Dad had a sand coloured s3 109 when I was 6. I thought I will have one when I get older; 11 years later I bought my first and only landrover. I still have it a few decades later:

P8300473

I Hope my interest in landrovers will rubb off to the next generation. Adi is 5 now.
O, I use it for the occasional off roading drive, and do the tip runs. Would like to use it in the snow this year, but that seems a distant memory!
Daan

I did something very similar. I bought a genuine Clubman GT, minus motor and wheels. I bought a whole running MG Metro and put the motor in (after a lot of panelwork/paint on the GT. It went really, really well but my lack of professionalism showed in the details. Who really needs brakes?

There is a thread in the video forum on Project Binky. Anyone even remotely interested in Minis should get some popcorn and watch the ten videos so far. Very inspiring for Land Rover builders, oddly!

Guess it's probably time I added my story...

A family friend in the village, her brother is into land rovers and I was given some LRO magazines by my Grandy to pass on to him. That was back probably sometime in the late 90's. I still have those magazines, they were never handed over and they sparked the interest. This, I guess, helped me understand where Grandy's Range Rover came from, although it wasn't until many years later that I understood how truly special his is. It's an original 'In-Vogue' light blue 3door, He bought it at about 6months old, and has had it ever since. The interest was also helped by him working at the factory, and bringing the odd car down to see us, although the I only remember a white 110 and a red 110 hicap (I remember bouncing around in the back of it round the village with him).

So as Mom says.... 'It's all dads fault' :lol:

I don't currently do much with it as I'm rebuilding it, but when it was on the road it would do everything.... taking me to work, tip runs, collecting wood on the roof, scout stuff, towing people out of floods and of course greenlaning and off-road trips with ShireLRC.

Not many people can say they were fortunate enough to have their dream car at 19!

I bought a 1969 88" 2a for my first car in the late 90's. Cost £100 and lasted all of a week before it got sunk in a deeper than expected pond on a friends farm. So I then bought a series 3 88", unmolested 1972 marine blue petrol hardtop, and ruined it in a similar way; I then had over twenty series 2/3 88", they could be picked up for £1-200 each back then, run into the ground for a month or two before buying the next one. I used to park them up in a friends field and cannibalise them for the next one, then scrap the rest when there were a few sat there and start again. Most were series threes but there were also a couple of 2a's, an 86" s1, a s3 lightweight, and a series 2a lightweight that i ended up rebuilding it entirely on a Richards chassis in an effort to make amends for my previous abuse!

My first Tdi defender in early 2000's was a revelation compared to running knackered series 3s. I've had at least fifteen tdi defenders since, some worse than others, and rebuilt the best three 300tdis all on Richards galvanised chassis.

Out of all of these I have only ever sold two of them, I have either kept or scrapped every other one!

Perhaps you could do a modern trabant ? Put one of those speed boat V6 2 stroke motors in one ? :)

Ditch the harmonic cambers and put 6 expansion chambers on it.....

Search Youtube for the V8 outboard on spannies on it it is awesome and I hate that word and two strokes so maybe that shows how much I like it?

Marc

I have a 101 ... so it will be a practical as well as ...cheap

Wow, you've got it bad - possibly a terminal case! :blink:

I suppose I'd better post my own story;

Bought the 109 'cos as a teenager I couldn't insure a transit for lugging guitars and drumkits around, then figured that if I own a Land Rover I'd better have a go off-road, joined the Shire LRC, it all went downhill from there. Through the club via Andy Moglite I helped some bloke called Jez with a bit of wiring, a year later I was driving the 109 to Russia as tech support with him, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Been through a RRC and a 1.8 Freebie as daily drivers, now onto a TD4, all three "scrapyard rescues".

Having been told I wasn't allowed any more cars by my better half, somehow we then bought a 127 Ambulance on ebay and a P38 to donate an engine :ph34r:

I'm lucky in that we have a bit of ground around the house with bushes and trees.. The numerous vehicles are parked such that no matter where SWMBO stands, she cannot see more than four. She is also terrified of spiders so won't enter the garage via the side door. :glare:

I've got enough bargain "projects" to last me until I'm 100, just not enough time or talent to complete them. I stripped the interior out of the 101 Ambulance, then shoved it into a corner so I could focus on my 110. It in turn, got shuffled to one side when my daughter declared she'd like a 110, and thats been moved to allow me to "go through" a gifted TD4 Freebie that is actually coming up quite nicely.

I enjoy the time when jobs go well, and fasteners undo, and you have actually got the right bits to complete the job. Some times when I'm in the shed I'm sure time goes backwards and I end up worse off than when I started. This past Sunday was spent mostly replacing the VCU on the Freelander and involved gear pullers, the press, a range of hammers and drifts... :wacko:

I learned to drive in an ex mod S1 (right pig it was) then after far too many years playing in rally cars and on (well mainly falling off) motorbikes decided I needed to slow down, I changed jobs and found I needed to do a lot of offered driving as a biologist, so a Landrover it was. Had jap carp, but still keep coming back to LR's, I guess for their simplicity (don't own anything younger than 20!). Mind you I do have a BMW in the garden at the mo, must be getting soft.

Why I have two Defenders and a Disco 1, I simply put down to shear pig headedness mixed with a bit of masochism.....

My first car was a Peugeot 205 that died before I passed my test! After that my dad gave my brother and me a metro that we abused*. I always liked landies and when my uncle decided to change his fast saxo for a 90 I started looking at them as a possible vehicle to own. One day visiting my uncle he said 'I know a bloke who's selling a S3 109, Its part of your way home so we'll have a look at it.....'

.....he paid for it and a rather bewildered friend had the pleasure of driving it home for me.

That was 2001 and I've still got it. I'm on my third engine (200tdi) and have had it completely apart and fitted new bulkhead and loom.

its come in very useful over the years for various things; from work to moving house. I've done some greenlaning but not as much as I would like. Currently trying to make it a bit more comfortable to keep the wife happy so I can keep it until I cant drive it anymore. Its a complete luxury(!) for me but I'm not sure I could part with it.

*one land rover wheel and tyre fills the entire back of a metro and looks very amusing when people mistake it for a spare