defender come back?

Daan

Seen that all over facebook pages, LR a few years ago were being really tight over their green oval & Land Rover trademarks, so very unlikely they would let some guy with loads of money have it to splash over a non LR vehicle. doubt it'll happen as any vehicle he produced would still have to comply with all the current laws for cars.

I am still confident that the claims of Defender's demise being due to legislation are lies. The same engine is used on the Transit with no problem, and the Jeep Wrangler has a similar bumper and roof integrity with no sales ban anywhere in Europe. LR killed it because the profit margins weren't big enough and because it didn't have enough bling to fit in with the rest of the footballer/drug dealer stable they produce.

• Like 1

Small volumes would be quite expensive as you'd have to get someone with a big machine to set up and run the press tooling etc etc. Then again those 3 special editions they did at the end sold for £50,000+ so maybe the demand is there? I imagine not your average farmer though!

Then again you can buy panels from Bearmach quite cheap so maybe the manufacturing is already in place?

The defender was expensive compared to Japanese pickups which are the closet alternative vehicle that might do the job that a typical new defender buyer might want to do, if you compare the production line to say the Mini I'm sure it's just more sensible for JLR to start with a new product and new line which are designed to work together from the outset. The Defender volumes weren't that high so I'm sure if you looked at it without any nostalgia or emotion it was just a poor use of floor space.

I am still confident that the claims of Defender's demise being due to legislation are lies. The same engine is used on the Transit with no problem, and the Jeep Wrangler has a similar bumper and roof integrity with no sales ban anywhere in Europe. LR killed it because the profit margins weren't big enough and because it didn't have enough bling to fit in with the rest of the footballer/drug dealer stable they produce.

What he said. Spot on.

What Snagger said.

Mo

Said perfickly! :D

They could build it elsewhere cheaper, but that would raise brand issues. Build it in Mexico to a Jeep compatible price with a NA compliant turbo diesel offer and the NAFTA market alone might make it viable. Mexico in turn has trade deals with Argentina and Brazil. To be viable, it needs solid market access and demand and needs to be priced under $30,000. That's not the EU. Aid agencies may say they want it for Africa, but they'll buy Toyotas... Tough to see this happening, frankly.

Tata already make the Sumo which is sold with a rigid chassis for special applications and a light chassis for the 'SUV' version. Would it be worth their time to setup production of the Defender along side that? Think the Tata version starts at around £7,000.