Thoughts and musings on the new defender

54 minutes ago, western said:

There are Neutral sections within the overhead system to, so the OHLE is not powered from let's say Kings Cross London to Edinburgh by one supply station, its broken into sections each with a sub station supplying each live section, that's how they deal with losses over long distances. 

Yup, however higher voltages means longer runs and more flexibility whatever way you look at it.

It's almost like we have engineers that know a bit about stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, western said:

3rd rail in UK is 750 V DC, Overhead is 25,Kv AC, Holland use 1500V DC on notmal routes & 25Kv on their High Speed routes. Think most of the rest of Europe is 25Kv AC. 

Getting back to diesel, DB/EWS are trailing HVO in some of their class 66 heavy freight diesel locomotives. 

Just to complete, even if it is off topic: France is largely 1.5 kV DC, Belgium 3kV DC, Germany 15kV AC, all with 25kV AC for the high speed lines. 

Overhead lines are indeed used mainly for safety. That high a tension underneath a metal train would be quite risky! And on crossings... Overhead catenaries allow more space for the safety air gap (with different setups for the high tension AC versions compared to lower tension DC) and low voltage/current circuits are used in the rails for train detecting etc.

Despite not liking train travel, I do enjoy exploring the engineering aspects. 🙂 And now back on topic, what tension will the Defender EV use? :ph34r:

• Like 4

Yes, agreed, the propensity to leak is way higher with H2.
Odorants can be added just like natural gas (even your Camping Gaz).

Have there been any reports of accidents in places like California where they've had H2 refuelling for a while?
Don't forget the pressures involved versus LPG.
The only problems I've seen are frozen nozzles.

Any issues with the (rare) Toyota Mirai? (Apart from infrastructure).

But I do share the concerns of Snagger regarding long term usage at refuelling stations and wer & tear of the equipment.

Nuclear for land is an option for reliable 24/7 power but excess renewables (one day) can be used for H2 production.
Every man and his brother are making electrolysers now (e.g. ITM Power, Plug Power and Cummings.)
For ships? Nah. Costs a fortune and some countries won't allow nuclear powered ships to dock.
And trusting a shipping line feeling the pinch to maintain their ships? Mmm.

As suggested an EV Defender/RR is going to be a tank esp if they want to offer an acceptable towing range.
Has JLR's Project Zeus bitten the dust?
Good old Diesel. And JLR's I6 is a beauty.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:49 PM, Escape said:

And now back on topic, what tension will the Defender EV use? :ph34r:

You laugh, but on the A1 in Germany a bit past Hamburg there are some overhead power lines, I think for a trial project for electric busses/trucks. Wouldn't even be the worst idea on the most common trafficked long-haul routes, and would allow smaller batteries/less diesel use for the last stretch of the trip.

https://autojosh.com/germany-now-has-three-ehighways-where-trucks-are-being-powered-by-power-lines-above/

Might limit roof rack use, though...

Edited by elbekko
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JeremySteel said:

Yes, agreed, the propensity to leak is way higher with H2.
Odorants can be added just like natural gas (even your Camping Gaz).

Have there been any reports of accidents in places like California where they've had H2 refuelling for a while?
Don't forget the pressures involved versus LPG.
The only problems I've seen are frozen nozzles.

Any issues with the (rare) Toyota Mirai? (Apart from infrastructure).

But I do share the concerns of Snagger regarding long term usage at refuelling stations and wer & tear of the equipment.

Nuclear for land is an option for reliable 24/7 power but excess renewables (one day) can be used for H2 production.
Every man and his brother are making electrolysers now (e.g. ITM Power, Plug Power and Cummings.)
For ships? Nah. Costs a fortune and some countries won't allow nuclear powered ships to dock.
And trusting a shipping line feeling the pinch to maintain their ships? Mmm.

As suggested an EV Defender/RR is going to be a tank esp if they want to offer an acceptable towing range.
Has JLR's Project Zeus bitten the dust?
Good old Diesel. And JLR's I6 is a beauty.

The problem with adding odour to hydrogen is that the odorous molecules will still be much bigger than the hydrogen, so a leak might still retain the indicator.  As I said, it’s damned hard to seal, and multi-billion dollar NASA equipment operated very conservatively by highly skilled engineers still leaks a lot.

Personally, I think governments will have to row back on the ICE bans to save manufacturers and buyers alike as it becomes ever more obvious that the electrical systems are nowhere near capable of supporting fully or largely electrified transport.  More of the public are becoming cynical about the climate change agenda, and more media and politicians are wavering.  Time will tell.

59 minutes ago, JeremySteel said:

That's a very good point Snagger.

The only time I've ever worked on hydrogen was on a small fuel cell and that had leak detectors but I don't know how they worked.

Snagger beat me to it. Not entirely sure how the H2/D2 detectors work on my systems but they’re pretty sensitive. Biggest issue for a vehicle would them having to be above any potential leak areas. In our case that means two of the systems have large collector cones hanging above them. Not practical on a car really. 

The other option would be for the system to have a secondary containment (we have it at work for radioactive Tritium), but that’s often cumbersome and would present other issues on vehicles. 

Some sort of forced ventilation to continuously and rapidly disperse any leak would be essential.  That would protect the refuelling operation.  That doesn’t protect the vehicle and occupants when parked anywhere with no wind.  Pockets could build up under the high spots of the body shell or inside garages.

My certainty that HFC is too dangerous for mass adoption may seem overzealous to some, but all I see is the issues that affected the Hindenberg and Challenger.  Hydrogen is extraordinarily dangerous stuff, especially under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/jaguar-land-rover-i6-engine-may-leak-oil-affected-vehicles-will-get-new-cam-carriers-209820.html

"... Jaguar Land Rover has announced a recall affecting nearly 7,000 vehicles from the Land Rover, Ranger Rover, and Jaguar brands. Ryobi Aluminium Casting, the company that supplies the cam carrier for the 3.0-liter Ingenium inline-six engine, informed the British automaker about a major concern in November 2022. ..."

Edited by Naks

Sarek Automotive is working on a lockable rear diff: https://www.facebook.com/X5offroad/posts/pfbid0GhN3ZaJ1i87UyPywtLFT4y8D36fACrkQyWFLtb6Cu9hxgtNTLyU9p7paNBDrxQoDl

normal_sarek.jpg

He just posted some more details:

"Almost have the working prototype for a selectable air locker for folks without the factory rear TOD rear locker. Final product will be a Billet case half to replace the factory differential case half and an ARB carrier unit. This will give the ability to manually lock the rear differential independent of the terrain response system settings or in case of failsafe operation. The ARB differential is also much stronger than a stock differential. The ARB has 4 spider gears vs stock with 2 spider gears with a single pin. Billet housing will include a larger carrier bearing and reinforced bearing race support. Case half will have all provisions to connect air line without the need to drill and tap."

Edited by Naks
  • Like 2

Land Rover Designs New Roll Cage And Suspension For A Hardcore Offroad Defender: https://carbuzz.com/news/land-rover-designs-new-roll-cage-and-suspension-for-a-hardcore-offroad-defender

... The first patent details a roll cage right down to the spare wheel mounting, and the second patent involves a new bump stop design intended specifically for multi-link suspension systems used with a unibody vehicle, but specifically shows how this system would mount to a roll cage.

In combination, these patents indicate that a Land Rover Defender could be under development for off-road racing duties, because this particular combination of body construction and suspension design are key features of the new Defender. And, given the advanced development of these patents, it's not impossible that a new Defender-based contender could be entered into off-road endurance races such as the Dakar Rally or the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge very soon.

There isn't anything particularly noteworthy about the spaceframe's design, but the hydraulic bump stops are somewhat novel. ...

1108698.jpg

1108708.jpg

1108709.jpg

Edited by Naks
  • Like 2

Interesting. Perhaps unfortunate that the photo right on the first screen shows a Defender with road tyres barely clearing the small rock in front of it!  I wonder how hard you'd have to hit one to even touch that roll cage?  They seem remarkably tough bodies on those things.

"... The big changes come beneath the window line however. The flared wheel arches are needed because they house some chunky BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres on a new alloy wheel design. The suspension has also been raised up for extra ground clearance and it’s almost certain the spring rates have been adjusted for off-roading too. 

At the front there’s camouflage covering the front bumper and grille - suggesting this SVX model will gain a new face, in a similar fashion to the SVX versions of the old car. The front and rear lights look unchanged from the standard model. 
The powertrain sitting underneath the beefed up bodywork is a mystery. The most obvious choice is the supercharged 5.0-litre V8 from the Defender V8, producing 518bhp and 625Nm of torque. Our images show a quad-exhaust tip set up, but the backbox looks different to the Defender V8 and the tips are set a little further back into the body work. Only time will tell if this Defender has actually made use of Land Rover and BMW’s engine partnership, borrowing the German firm’s 4.4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8.  ..."

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-6.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-2.jpg

Land%20Rover%20Defender%20SVX-4.jpg

• Like 2