Thoughts and musings on the new defender

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

Oh it will be seen as a roughty roughty offroader by those suburban and city types with money who wouldn't know a real roughty toughty offroader if they saw one.

Precisely this - and they are the main target market for the entire range.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

What gives it a serious offroader image?  Grab a bunch of random "normal" people off of the street.  Show them a picture of this thing.  I seriously doubt any of them will udder the words serious offroader.

Marketing. The average "normal person" off the street will have seen enough ads and sponsored (directly or indirectly) articles/reviews/programme slots to have had their perceptions set. If cold hard logic applied, how many premium brand cars would actually be sold?

10 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

But it does nothing a D3/4/5, RRS or even FFRR does in this regard. It is even built on the same platform as some of the others.

But but but ... it IS better because (insert appropriate laughter) it has bigger tyres!  And is supposedly a bit tougher and has better departure angles and is absolutely being marketed as better, which, as we pretty much all agree, is the point of making it at all.

10 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Precisely this - and they are the main target market for the entire range.

Marketing. The average "normal person" off the street will have seen enough ads and sponsored (directly or indirectly) articles/reviews/programme slots to have had their perceptions set. If cold hard logic applied, how many premium brand cars would actually be sold?

If you say so.  I've asked a few normal people and not one has heard of the new Defender. Anyone that I've shown a picture just thinks it is another SUV.

10 hours ago, reb78 said:

Just the name. Its just playing on the name, nothing else, because it shares nothing else with the original other than the name.

I suppose, but it is a boring looking and very expensive SUV. I can't imagine anyone ever thinking "serious offroader".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red90 said:

If you say so.  I've asked a few normal people and not one has heard of the new Defender. Anyone that I've shown a picture just thinks it is another SUV.

Give it time. We'll see - it's what land rover are aiming for. Whether they'll succeed is another matter. 

I honestly thinks that it's time to get over it. The new Defender will not replace the old one in our minds, whilst JLR have done what they think is correct.They think it's the right way forward as part of their vehicle range and haven't done it the hope that it will drive them out of business.

We will see how they perform in terms of sales and more importantly bottom line. Even if we disagree, why would we wish ill on them? Certainly I wouldn't want them to go bust.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Give it time. We'll see - it's what land rover are aiming for. Whether they'll succeed is another matter. 

They will probably sell a few in the UK as people are conned into believing that the Indian owned and Slovakian built vehicles are British. I doubt that the rest of the world will notice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I honestly thinks that it's time to get over it. The new Defender will not replace the old one in our minds, whilst JLR have done what they think is correct.They think it's the right way forward as part of their vehicle range and haven't done it the hope that it will drive them out of business.

We will see how they perform in terms of sales and more importantly bottom line. Even if we disagree, why would we wish ill on them? Certainly I wouldn't want them to go bust.

Probably the best serious recent post in this thread.

Musing is one thing but this is like a merry go round. The vehicle is a reality, it is what it is, buy one or don't buy one.

Simples.

Sorry but in the grand scheme of things globally at the moment it's not particularly important.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, deep said:

Good to know 33 inch tyres will fit easily and that they have "tested it extensively" with 35s.

Very interesting! That's the first reliable person I've heard say it could be possible to fit larger tyres.

If the factory has found that 33's or 35's fit (I'd love to believe they designed-in customisation from the outset, like Jeep did with the JK/JL)  the question is will they release a software fix to compensate when you do, or will they partner with an aftermarket company to provide this? One or both of these would be necessary to avoid it screwing up the electronic control systems.

Jeep have a number of trusted partners such as AEV to fulfil this function. Who would JLR use?

I do that with my series. Compare the Speedo needle with what Google maps tells me.

Only takes a second.

Mines to within 2 mph up to 60 mph.