2020 Projects

monkie

11 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

PTO is still available for use and I might know someone with one of the fabled LT95 PTO adapters (conveniently with a hydraulic pump on the back) sat in a shed. At some point I'll put hydraulics on it and contemplating building a hook loader frame for it to have different bodies for quick swap (mobile workshop, deer stalking, camping, general pick-up etc).

That reminds me of an awesome build thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/allison-m916-mk48-cab-6x6-femtt.102851/

Cherry picker + container locks = easy swapping of rear body structures. On top of an awesome vehicle.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Cherry picker + container locks = easy swapping of rear body structures. On top of an awesome vehicle.

I've gone through a number of design possibilities in my head, that being one of them.

1. Was to do what a French friend had - he simply used his forklift to swap bodies on the back of his 110 Hi-Cap, the downside of that is you require a forklift, not too much of an issue at home or at my nan's in the Highlands (can call on the neighbour with a telehandler) but a pain elsewhere.
  2. Something along the lines of GrizzlyNBear's camper setup with screw jacks either by hand or by drill / impact. The Sandringham already has detachable sides and corner posts so you can slot in and lock into the corners easily enough. But it's a bit, well, manual...
  3. Seen first at a friends yard a, I think, DAF lorry with Hiab on the back that could swap out half size containers using the method you describe, neat idea. Downside on the 6x6 is that I'd lose quite a lot of space behind the cab for the Hiab setup. As it stands the bed on the back can actually take most of the length of Dad's Argocat so had this slightly mad idea of rather than using the trailer to take the Argo to Scotland I could drive it onto the back of the 6x6. Who wouldn't want to see a 6x6 with an 8x8 on the back of it going down the road?!
  4. Then I came up with the hook-loader idea. It retains the full size bed and is easy to swap bodies so ticks both of those boxes.

The hook loader idea has even more benefits because it's very simple to build in the ability to turn it into a tipper (in fact in the simplest versions it's just a locking pin). It also makes loading heavier loads much simpler. At the moment the 6x6 is downplated from 4 tonnes to 3.5 because the previous owner was a diabetic and didn't have a Cat C license. I'm too young to have inherited it and haven't got around to sitting the test (I'm thinking about it). However working off the design max payload of 2 tonnes you need a comparatively huge HIAB to lift 2 tonnes. I actually sent off a request for some dimensions / quote to Palfinger and HIAB about their small knuckle-boom cranes but neither have got back to me. Regardless their smaller ones which from the dimensions they supplied would suit the size of the vehicle struggle to lift a tonne. Now that's just not sensible - the 6x6 can take 2 tonne so I want 2 tonne :ph34r:, in all seriousness it would be a handy machine for collecting smaller mills / lathes etc. There was also the issue about actually driving the Argo onto the back of it - some ramps would be required etc. With the hook loader idea you can simply unload the bed so it's flat on the floor, drive on, strap down and pick back up. The same can be said of the heavier items to load, provided the main ram on the loader is sized appropriately then it shouldn't have an issue picking up the maximum payload.

As it stands once I pick it up the main thing will be to get it MOTd and usable and not fart around with it too much. There are so many jobs around my new(ish) place that I've been putting off I don't want it out of commission for too long and the pick-up flat/bed nature is going to be useful for that regardless. The next step would be to put hydraulics onto it so that if Bob ever gives me the cherry-picker then it can always be mounted on the bed manually. Once the hydraulics are in place I might look into quickly converting it into a tipper.

The hook loader I was planning on making it so that it's a bolt on frame to the chassis as much as possible so it doesn't affect, what's left, of the originality but also means it can be tested separately without taking the 6x6 out of commission.

Anyway - plenty of plans just need the time to do them!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Even a small HIAB is a very heavy thing.

That was my conclusion too and also took a huge amount of space from the load-bed. I think it was one of HIABs hook loaders for a large transit sized vehicle came in about 300kg. The hook loader was bigger than required but 300kg is quite a bit lighter than a comparative crane.

45 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder if you could do hook-load with a cheap-ish electric winch rather than having to go hydraulic? Then again, 12v hydro power-packs are easily found for tippers.

Not sure I'd like a wire based hook loader. I see absolutely no benefit of a 12V hydro-pack over a PTO setup in this particular instance (provided the adapter is available or I make one). You're going to have to have all the same components (pump, tank, etc) but also a decent sized electric motor and size the batteries appropriately.

I'm also thinking with a proper hydraulic setup I'll probably end up putting a winch front and probably rear and at least have some quick fittings behind the cab and at the rear for tapping off hydraulics for other tools.

Well it's home, needs quite a few bits tidying up and sorting but solid and drives reasonably well now.

DSC_0045.thumb.JPG.8bc4c71dcec1a64cd489e41adecf9430.JPG

Photo from last fill up before home, was dark when I set off and 1am when it was unloaded off the trailer as I've got to return the trailer first this tomorrow.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Even a small HIAB is a very heavy thing.

I have two 'T' boom crane's, one HIAB 022T, (nominally 2.2 ton metres lifting moment) which is about 270kg without support legs and one Atlas about 4.2 ton metres capacity and 480kg. The 'T' boom format is lighter than the knuckle boom equivalent, but still heavy for for a 3.5t vehicle. The Atlas would lift 2 ton on minimum boom.

My 022 has spent it's life mounted on the Ifor. mainly because the LR in hand at the time was a CSW, I had plans to mount it on the 130 and make the ultimate Tonka toy, but in truth I don't have the need any more and it'll go back on the Ifor once it has had a 72000 mile service. 

29 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Free wheeling hubs on the middle wheels to cut down on scrubbing?

Yeah. Neil the previous owner was paranoid about the centre diff winding up. It's one of those special through drives that's bespoke to the Sandringham.

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Yeah. Neil the previous owner was paranoid about the centre diff winding up. It's one of those special through drives that's bespoke to the Sandringham.

Looking at the thread on those I can't help but feel the Volvo C304/C306 method is not only much nicer but could also potentially be built into a Rover casing... I might even know where there's some parts :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

What engine is in it Ed?

LD28T - turbo 2.8 straight 6 from a Patrol.

Will see how it goes, my last experience of a straight six was in a BMW 2.5 P38 and there was naff all bottom end grunt.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Looking at the thread on those I can't help but feel the Volvo C304/C306 method is not only much nicer but could also potentially be built into a Rover casing... I might even know where there's some parts :ph34r:

What's the difference in the setup?

I might have emailed Nige last night about the feasibility of putting a locker in it...

10 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

What's the difference in the setup?

They add a gear to the 1st diff pinion - between the pinion bearings there's a gear that is fitted to the 6x6 diffs like a power-takeoff, comes out through a window in the top of the diff casing nose and points a prop backwards into the 3rd axle.

1522472_medium.jpg.99d78f8c54bb7909b62e38911c96edac.jpg

9 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Can you imagine the size of the overlanding pod you could bolt onto that!

One consideration for it is a demountable camping pod.

Although surprisingly it's not that much longer than my 110 (18" or so) despite having a wheelbase of 109/139".

Also need steps, the load bed is surprisingly high.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

One consideration for it is a demountable camping pod.

Although surprisingly it's not that much longer than my 110 (18" or so) despite having a wheelbase of 109/139".

Also need steps, the load bed is surprisingly high.

If you had hydraulics your could have a lift ? 😂

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

If you had hydraulics your could have a lift ? 😂

Down hill from there......... hydraulic slide out side for the living room, hydraulic supports for unloading, hydraulic roof for improved headroom etc. etc. 🤣

• Like 1

True

I'm hoping my friend comes up trumps with the PTO adapter and pump because by all accounts they're not particularly common (being an LT95). If that happens I'll probably whack the initial hydraulic system on there with a couple of strategic quick couplers (front and rear of bed, perhaps the front). So easy enough to plumb in extra cylinders if required :hysterical:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Have you seen the size of a Perentie 6x6 Ambulance? About that big, I'd say!

They're quite a bit bigger than the Sandringhams. According to https://www.remlr.com/perentie-6-gs.html it's 3040mm (120") to intermediate axle and 3940mm (155") to rear axle whereas I'm 109" and 139" I think (haven't actually measured it). It's also a good food wider and two foot longer on the load bed.

It's also a good tonne heavier unladen by the looks of it. I'm amazed that the brochure shows an unladen Sandringham 6 weight of 1634kg, OK this particular one is probably 250kg heavier having a straight 6 diesel rather than the lightweight rover V8.

I'll see if I can find the time to get it MOTd and up to Summer Sisters with it so people can have a nosey. Perhaps if some ramps are built I could bring the Argo again on the back (it's running a fair bit better now). Although you better park a long long way away Jon :hysterical:.