2020 Projects

monkie

On 1/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, lo-fi said:

Finish some Land Rover projects > sell them. Don't ever buy another Land Rover, live happily ever after :rofl::unsure:

I hope you enjoy your Toyota Corolla. 

Get to the bottom of the starting problem on the 100" (only thing left is the injectors) and get it used and find out what needs changing on it!

It needs two new props as they don't extend very easily, extra sound proofing in the cab, stereo system, wiring in the heated screen, seats and other creature comforts etc etc.

Then possibly build a type of removable camper in the back and do some travelling.

I also have a fibreglass mini minus shell to build at some point...

• Like 1

I've just ordered some stuff to do my first 2020 project  - get the doors to close and stay closed properly. Genuine latches, seals and handles plus the X-eng striker plates. It set me back a small fortune - hopefully worth it to have doors that open when I want them to but stay closed when they are supposed to!!

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I hope you enjoy your Toyota Corolla. 

... and tolerate enjoy Land Rovers vicariously helping mates fix theirs. All the fun, none of the pain and cost! A bit like being the cool, childless uncle that buys the kids noisy toys, winds them up and disappears up the pub :hysterical:

On 1/2/2020 at 11:07 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

An LS powered FJ40, I think we need to see a build thread for that even if it doesn't have the right badge on it!

This is probably going to sound a bit poncy but I don't like posting up lots of build threads repeating what I do..... I post up what I do, to inspire others, get advice/catch problems I haven't seen (we all make mistakes lol) and mostly to push myself to keep working at things 

And this truck has a bit of history, the original builder died of cancer before he finished it.... so I have continued his build thread, his son has even contacted me off this thread. If your interested here is the thread 

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rotw-gertrude-1975-fj40.61345/

Oh and we got the motor and gearbox out for the conversion, found out I was wrong about the bottom end knock lol this one was a little scary to find out 

b1Sn4WH.jpg

pulled the gearbox off and the clutch and flywheel fell out!

• Sad 1

First job was getting my courage up to make a list for 2020... Though there are timing restrictions, I'll keep the list random:

• really get started on the P38a 5.0 project and get it finished, so I can do some offroading in 2020. Would love to come to another playday with SLR!
  • sort the overheating on the P38a 4.0 SE
  • get the P38a DT driving and somewhat decent, so I can sell it on
  • strip, store (and sell) 2 other P38a
  • Lotus Esprit: redo the gearbox output seals, address a few engine oil leaks, take out the radiator and replace the coolant hoses, refurbish the interior (pretty worn after 150k miles, I've got the paint over a year ago...), rig in a good radio arial, fix cracks on front and rear bumper, maybe get it wrapped to cover up the tired paint. But before I can take it off the road for any time, I want the 5.0 up and running as a daily.
  • Lotus Elan JPS: get it running again (ignition issues coming off the ferry in Dover resulted in a trailer ride back home 😞), pull engine and gearbox and see what happend to 1st, fit a period radio and clean up the boot trim:
  • Lotus Excel: get the carbs tuned, sort the electrics and brake servo, rent it out (already booked for May) and then sell it on.
  • take on less customers, so I have more time to play with my own cars 🙂

Best wishes and lots of motoring fun to all!

Filip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Escape said:
  • Lotus Elan JPS: get it running again (ignition issues coming off the ferry in Dover resulted in a trailer ride back home 😞), pull engine and gearbox and see what happend to 1st, fit a period radio and clean up the boot trim

I was wondering how you got on as my phone didn't ring... never boring eh? :rolleyes:

There may have been a trailer ride to Calais with 4h of sleep and then convincing the port people that I was there to load up a broken down car in my best French...

So the chassis swap party at Mike's house, when's that? I may owe him some spannering time 😛

• Like 1

Well, having moved house I've lost my nice new brick double garage, which I was just getting sorted nicely. I now have a tired wood framed single.

It's not as bad as it looks in the photo - the but that was entirely enveloped in ivy is not it's best angle - but while the roof is sound, the garage door is falling apart and the ground has been built up round it with the result that water leaks in around the sides after heavy rain.

So, a new garage would be good. But there's work to do to the house first so I suspect 2020 is optimistic...

IMG_20191007_121154.jpg

First off, I'm gone get all whats stored in my garage into the new storage I made at the end of the garage. Then maybe I can get some more work done in there.

50540364_2175900892738323_5281995714568650752_n.thumb.jpg.f0f3192c651047ddcd76db36fb22c92c.jpg50314558_2306849336229027_5885736754811502592_n.thumb.jpg.483cbe71f30c2b10831cb1b58b459e22.jpg50231549_2289502124612274_5540457492003160064_n.thumb.jpg.883537189398952fe206be2b6540f1a7.jpg

I have rebuilt my D2 from Auto to manual in that garage, and we've done quite a bit of welding on my min and some other D1. May I could get a D110 in there, but it's to short for a D130.

Then there is some service due on my D2, and fitting a Winch and maybe fitting a snorkel and rock/tree-slides (to be made first)

Then there is some more service on my Short D1, and remounting a snorkel, new difflockers, rebuild a LT230 and refit, then rebuild another an refit into the 1972RR/Disco92/Disco98 hybrid.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

Well, having moved house I've lost my nice new brick double garage, which I was just getting sorted nicely. I now have a tired wood framed single.

It's not as bad as it looks in the photo - the but that was entirely enveloped in ivy is not it's best angle - but while the roof is sound, the garage door is falling apart and the ground has been built up round it with the result that water leaks in around the sides after heavy rain.

So, a new garage would be good. But there's work to do to the house first so I suspect 2020 is optimistic...

IMG_20191007_121154.jpg

You need to get your prioreties together, extend back of house make living room into a garage sorted 😂

• Like 1

My first job is to buy the cottage I have been renting for the last 3 years.

Get a Visa for my wife of 3 years to live in the UK.

Build a new house in the field.

Build a garage and relocate my CSK in it before it dissolves completely.

Find a donor vehicle to allow me to start the CSK rebuild. Still require a 1990 2 door shell (so if one of our European friends can help before we fall out (Brexit) I will be eternally grateful).

Fit an engine in my green Disco 2.

Fit a gearbox in my Mini Cooper Convertible.

Change the front axle and gearbox on my Black Disco 2 and do repairs to the body shell.

Fix the o rings and heater fans on my Range Rover P38

May even buy another Range Rover to add to my fleet.

And if there is time I will do some work to earn money to pay for the above. :hysterical:

On 1/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, western said:

Fit the rear side window seal kit to stop the glass rattle 

What seal kit will you be using Ralph? Mine rattle and leak like crazy. The Garrison 4x4 kit is mightyspendy for what you get, and going genuine if such a kit exists seems to offer no great gains.

Aside from that I need to replace the perished,split and leaking alpine light seals, and the roof needs the ally scab  attending to while its apart, and the whole roof re-painting.

The windscreen seal is just as split and perished so that needs replacing too.

The windscreen is so scratched it's hard to see when the sun is in my face, so a new screen, possibly a heated one , is in order.

Fit the Mud end-of-dash switch panel I' bought some years ago.