Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

I saw my first “in the flesh” Grenadier in Hamburg a few days ago.   It does look better than in photos, the underbite front bumper being less noticeable and it looking less of a Defender clone.  This was an off-white Trailmaster with black steel wheels.  I was quite impressed, though I’m still not fond of the rear lights or front grille.

It was inevitable that people would produce after-market bits for the Grenadier but I was surprised to stumble across a video last night that showed how far development had gone.  Rock sliders, winch mounts, fancy roof racks I did expect - but not portals!  A mere 40,000 Euros to give you the tallest Grenadier in town.  With the bigger tyres they allow, it's a total of 8 inches more ground clearance.

I think that is something that is made much easier by having solid axles?  The market is probably very small but the mere fact you can do it makes the Grenadier that little bit more desirable.

(https://lennartz-technik.de/en/homepage/)

6 minutes ago, deep said:

I think that is something that is made much easier by having solid axles?  The market is probably very small but the mere fact you can do it makes the Grenadier that little bit more desirable.

(https://lennartz-technik.de/en/homepage/)

Portals are easier on solid axles - this development has been followed closely by Sir Jim Radcliffe. The company is more famous for its work with G-Wagens, including portals.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My wife has shown a marked disinterest when I have mentioned this or that about the Grenadier and each time we pass the dealership refuses my invitation to stop and have a browse. We parked close to one at a village fete last weekend and I was intrigued to see her wander over to it and have a look at it. She eventually rejoined me and not a word was spoken. As we wandered on I asked her what she thought, not a lot she said, not worth the £77,000 window price she had spotted at the dealers, no not for something that looks like a Defender that someone has got at. We walked on....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

£77,000 window price

Have you told her it's a reasonably-priced workhorse for normal, working people? It's so obtainable, not like LR's expensive lifestyle vehicle that's too expensive to use.

Though to be fair (if I have to), this isn't specific to Ineos, all new cars are unreasonable now. All part of trying to get us into unservicable debt just to live a standard previously taken for granted.

Having now seen one on the road (all black, murdered-out and spotlessly clean in lane 3 of the motorway....) I am working on a 'Grenadier Wave'. 

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, ThreePointFive said:

Have you told her it's a reasonably-priced workhorse for normal, working people? It's so obtainable, not like LR's expensive lifestyle vehicle that's too expensive to use.

She’s not daft and knows what reasonably priced workhorses for normal working people are 😉

• Like 1

So, about the same size aperture and bed as Divelodge on a 110, but with the ugly painted fairing around the edges that render the side lashing rails unusable and no doubt triple the price…. I’d wait for Drivelodge to make a version for this.

Drivelodge don't appear to have beds in them, let alone a sprung base bed, or do they? 

If I were to make an overlander type vehicle with a large budget, then this sort of roof with a bed upstairs would be very high on list of desirables - but the whole project will most likely remain just desirable, aka vapour. 

Does the folding roof sit much higher in this instance?  All AB’s and such, yes, but I think the side panels on this one are for protection and maybe limited storage rather than indicative of the roof centre panel being markedly higher.  Hard to know from just this video, though.