Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

38 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I agree. I'm really liking everything about the Grenadier, bar the price. But mostly because it is so far beyond my means!!

Only other observation, the options list is extensive. Which means you'll end up with all sorts of specs used and likely missing many things you'd have wanted to spec when buying new. So I image buying used will be a right pain in the butt and you'll end up getting a spec you don't really want or missing items you'd love to have got.

Personally I have no benefit in it being registered as a commercial vehicle, so not sure if it can still be registered as a car. Price seems to be £60-64k for the spec I'd like.

Screenshot2023-06-08at4_11_43pm.thumb.png.58412a865f50c5fd0888cc441d135ea7.png

I was going to say a Wrangler would be cheaper, as they where £49-52k not so long ago. Looking at the Jeep website now a 4 door starts at £61k :( I think in the UK car makers are just greedy f'ers!!!! Where is the £35-38k off roader?

In the USA a base model 4 door Wrangler starts at $31k.

Ranger Raptor comes in at about £61k on the road inc VAT too. More performance focused than the Grenadier. Would certainly be a toss up if I was able to afford such a vehicle. The new Defender wouldn't get a look in.

I was never really a fan of the 110 SW with van rear sides but that looks good.

I sat in a brand new Raptor the other day and was impressed with how much nicer the cab is from the old model Raptor. Asked the salesman about the towing capacity and was told it is 2,500kg which means it is absolutely useless for me. I know the other model Rangers do tow 3,500kg but they are on cart springs and ride like they are. 

• Like 1

I liked my Defender USW's as it kept whatever was in the back away from prying eyes. I wouldn't have a Raptor mainly because of the limited tow rating but they are just a bit too lifestyle over work for my liking. The 3.2 Ranger auto that I bought new [when my last 110 CSW and the dealership brassed me off so much I got rid after a couple of years] was a good truck and surprisingly refined. My current Isuzu D-Max V Cross does 30+mpg is equally civilised and also capable of towing 3.5 - and has the benefit of a separate loadspace and canopy. That will do me until I am convinced that the Grenadier, and back-up, is actually worth the outlay.

• Like 1

I had a close look at one at the Cornwall Show at the weekend. Nice looking truck overall. Nice interior. More leg room in the middle row than in the back of an old Defender. The cockpit was a nice place. You can see the BMW influence which isnt bad but the screen and gearlever look very BMW! The rear doors make the load area much more useable than the Defender rear!

Running gear almost looks very Discovery 3 in its setup (the bits you can see). Biggest surprise was the rear third ground clearance... much less ground clearance than I expected to have here. It looks like the trailing arm chassis attachments really hang down and what I think is the fuel tank is really low. Even my D3 and L322 have better ground clearance for sure (as do my 110 and D2) - what was most telling was how scraped up rear end of the underside was where it had been used off road. Lots of mud - more than my 110.

• Like 2

I drove past Ineos / Busseys in Attleborough this morning and noted two Grenadiers outside the showroom that were plastered in dust from building works next door. Any other day I would have stopped gone in and enquired when I could expect the promised phone call to look at and test a production model but I did not have the time today. On the way back a maroon Grenadier appeared and pulled over in one of the local villages so deepest our deepest Norfolk highways are now graced with their presence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know those pesky little hydrogen atoms are hard to contain but I would love to see it work out anyway.  It's also nice to see a Grenadier working without all the factory body attached.  Can't do that with a monocoque Land Rover!

• Like 1

The doublecab pickup is due to break cover at Goodwood FoS, https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/ineos-quartermaster-pick-up-to-debut-at-goodwood/47383

Grenadier Pickup Goodwood FoS.jpg

In other news, the first half-sensible article about military uses, https://www.joint-forces.com/features/65343-grenadier-quartermaster-a-potential-uk-gsup-contender

Finally, Car magazine's skimpy take on the Ineos press release, https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/_ineos/grenadier-quartermaster-pick-up/

If I ever get the original press release, I'll post it up. 

Edited by jeremy996
The military article and CAR's take.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

The doublecab pickup is due to break cover at Goodwood FoS, https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/ineos-quartermaster-pick-up-to-debut-at-goodwood/47383

Grenadier Pickup Goodwood FoS.jpg

In other news, the first half-sensible article about military uses, https://www.joint-forces.com/features/65343-grenadier-quartermaster-a-potential-uk-gsup-contender

Finally, Car magazine's skimpy take on the Ineos press release, https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/_ineos/grenadier-quartermaster-pick-up/

If I ever get the original press release, I'll post it up. 

Ah excellent. I am camping at FOS so will get to see it

• Like 2

The press release from Ineos Automotive:-

INEOS AUTOMOTIVE AT THE 2023 GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED:

GLOBAL DEBUTS FOR ALL-NEW GRENADIER QUARTERMASTER

AND HYDROGEN FUEL CELL DEMO

London, 29 June 2023Following the start of series production of the Grenadier 4X4 last year, INEOS Automotive will make its mark across this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed (13 - 16 July). 

The All-New Grenadier Quartermaster, a double cab pick-up variant of the award-winning Grenadier, will make its global debut on Thursday 13th July. This will be shortly followed by a very special appearance on the famous hillclimb with some familiar Goodwood faces to celebrate two 75-year automotive anniversaries - motorsports at Goodwood and the Belstaff Trialmaster Jacket that lends its name to one of Grenadier’s trims. 

Also making its first ever public appearance is the Grenadier Hydrogen Fuel Cell (FCEV) Technology Demonstrator, which will show how well-suited the zero emissions technology is for a future long-range 4X4 off-roader.

Both the Grenadier Quartermaster and FCEV Demonstrator will be showcased in the First Glance Paddock and will be driven up the hillclimb route on each of the four days of the Festival.

In an exciting exclusive for Goodwood Festival of Speed, adventurous visitors will be able to get behind the wheel of the Grenadier Station Wagon on a challenging off-road course at the Goodwood Halnaker Chalkpit neighbouring the main event site. Hundreds of slots are available throughout the four days of the Festival for those wanting to put the 4X4 through its paces.

- Ends -

Notes to editors: INEOS Automotive will hold a short press conference at its main stand at 11:00am on Thursday 13 July, and the new Grenadier Quartermaster will feature in the very special run up the hillclimb route at 12:20pm.

Contact details: 

Russell Minahan, Head of PR, INEOS Automotive 

+44 (0) 7739 077762

russell.minahan@ineos.com

Matt Moore, PFPR Communications

+44 (0) 7715 075992

matt.moore@pfpr.com

About INEOS Grenadier  

In 2017, INEOS Chairman Jim Ratcliffe, a car enthusiast and experienced adventurer, identified a gap in the market for a stripped back, utilitarian, hard-working 4x4 engineered for modern day compliance and reliability. INEOS Automotive Limited was formed and a senior team of automotive professionals assembled to bring the vision to reality with a fresh perspective of 4x4 development and manufacturing.  

Combining rugged British spirit and design with German engineering rigour, the Grenadier will be a truly uncompromising 4x4 built from the ground up. Engineered to overcome all conditions, it will provide best-in-class off-road capability, durability, and reliability to those who depend on a vehicle as a working tool, wherever they are in the world.

INEOS Automotive is a subsidiary of INEOS (www.ineos.com), a leading manufacturer of petrochemicals, speciality chemicals and oil products. It employs 25,000 people across 39 businesses, with a production network spanning 183 sites in 29 countries. From paints to plastics, textiles to technology, medicines to mobile phones, materials manufactured by INEOS enhance almost every aspect of modern life. In 2021, INEOS had sales of $65bn.  

To find out more about Grenadier, visit www.ineosgrenadier.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

In an exciting exclusive for Goodwood Festival of Speed, adventurous visitors will be able to get behind the wheel of the Grenadier Station Wagon on a challenging off-road course at the Goodwood Halnaker Chalkpit neighbouring the main event site. Hundreds of slots are available throughout the four days of the Festival for those wanting to put the 4X4 through its paces.

ohh, that is exciting. I will do what I can to get a slot. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

My mum's there today and I'm not sure it's "all about" the Grenadier - so far she's sent me pictures of a Lambo, an Aston, and a WRC mini but no grenadiers...

That was a screengrab from one of Harry's Instagram stories - I guess it's all about the Grenadier for him ;)

Just figured the picture itself was relevant here.

I think it was mentioned before several hundred pages ago, but what is the underside of the engine bay like? 

That is one hell of a seal under the bonnet, I'm just wondering if the underside is closed in as well, otherwise I don't really understand what it's keeping out.

47 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I think it was mentioned before several hundred pages ago, but what is the underside of the engine bay like? 

That is one hell of a seal under the bonnet, I'm just wondering if the underside is closed in as well, otherwise I don't really understand what it's keeping out.

There is one parked above a clear perspex panel. I will take a picture tomorrow providing it is not blown off by the predicted 50mph wind!

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

Screenshot_20230714_103352_Instagram.thumb.jpg.6df219e62c59f99f5e54303ccd5217d7.jpg

It might have been but that Commando is gorgeous!  Of all the 70 or so motorcycles I've had over the years, my Mk3 was easily the favourite.

Back to the topic at hand, the TFL channel on Youtube put out a clip about those pickups at Goodwood.  Looked fairly practical if double cabs run to your taste (for me, it would be a lot nicer if they got rid of the back seats!) but the spare tyre locations seems a bit nuts.  There'll be an after-market alternative within days, I'm picking.

Edited by deep

On 7/14/2023 at 5:05 PM, ThreePointFive said:

I'd guess there could be several reasons. Drive by noise regs maybe being one of them. Plus to stop water/mud splashing out over the top of the wings as happens on a Defender off road sometimes.

Have seen 2 x Grenadiers in 2 days. Hadn't seen any before this on the road. A blue one on Friday on the A428 near Cambridge coming towards us and then one this morning on a local road in green, also coming towards me. From the fleeting glances of it I thought it looked great. Easily identifiable as not a Defender, but clearly a good road presence too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I'd guess there could be several reasons. Drive by noise regs maybe being one of them. Plus to stop water/mud splashing out over the top of the wings as happens on a Defender off road sometimes.

Wonder if wading/steam/vision is part of it? Number of times you see people having severely restricted vision after wading :lol: