The Assassin - Defender 90 Chevy V8 Diary

Decided to start a little log of all the trials and tribulations of my defender.

Land Rover Defender 90 (Original V8 Rover)

Engine: Chevrolet 350CI Short Block

Carb: Holly Performance 4150 4-Barrel

Tyres: 33inch Nitto Mud Grappler with Machlock Rims

Gearbox: LR380

Exterior/Interior: KBX leds/grills, Uproar4x4 Exterior Protection, Cree Light Bar, Custom Scoop Hood, Soft Top Conversion, Optimil Upgrades, Momo Wheel

October/November Changes:

- Tarox 6 Pot Front Brake (Not Supplied)
- Rear EBC Brake Overhaul (New Callipers, Discs and Pads. (Supplied)
- New Fuel Tank complete with all gaskets and pipes
- Double Din display (Not Supplied) + Connection to Reverse Cam (Below)
- Wire up Reverse Camera+New Plate Light (Supplied)
- Install Flasher Relay for Side Repeaters (Supplied)
- Fix Light Bar (Not Powering on) (Supplied)
- Install Spectre 5 inch Wide Arches (Supplied)
- Install new uprated radiator (Not Supplied)
- Install LRD Bonnet Guard (Supplied)
- Replace Bonnet Guard Assembly
- Install new Contura Rocket Switches (Supplied)
- Install Slick Shift for R380 Gear box (Supplied by Syncro Gearboxes) (Supplied)
- Reinstall Rear Speaker Panels (Speaker Panels + Speakers are not secured to their corners)
- Replace Window Up Switch for passenger side on Driver Side Door Card
- Discuss if Alpine sound system is better than current setup
- Sound Proof Inside 
Full Braided Stainless Steel brake lines
- Shock Turret Mounts
- Equipe4x4.com Rear Strut Sliders, Bilayer Bonnet Protection, Modular Racing Grill, M17 Bumper (Supplied)
- New door Looms to stop electric windows fuse from blowing
- Install new heated wing mirrors and wire to rocker switch
- Install LED Side Repeater Relay mod (Dash trailer light mod) (Supplied)
- New Tinted Windshield + All seals + heated windscreen loom kit + rocker fitting (Supplied)
- New Window Blocks from Optimil (Supplied)
- 4X4uproar Stealth Sidesteps + Rocksliders (Supplied)
- Deadlocks Kit with Alarm Sensors, Remote Control (Supplied)
- Seat Risers
- Speedo Healer?
- FlatDog PM battery tray + Split Charge System
- DEFENDER 90 TD5/TDCI FLOW THROUGH FUEL TANK

December Upgrades:

Retrimmers
Interior Leather Retrim, Floor, Dash, Cards, Roof Lining
LRI Corbeau Seats / Hex Quillted Stitching
Cubby Box
NOS Kit Install
Pro Flow Super Charger Kit?
New Prosport Evo Dash Gauges
SecuriSmoke - 12v DC Security Smoke System

IMG_20201012_211142.thumb.jpg.489161d8e9b69d078e0c20695d966091.jpg

.. And last night, cracked a few spark plugs while launching. 

IMG_20201012_194516.thumb.jpg.44848f35278d023d00e01d971e9975aa.jpg

Edited by Arnie91
  • Like 1

• Arnie91 changed the title to The Assassin - Defender 90 Chevy V8 Diary

Cracked while launching......?

So, what's the projected BHP, with and without NOS/supercharger?

I am quite sure many people on here will dislike this truck, but I for one think it is pretty cool. Mind you, you haven't shown the interior yet, it might be all vajazzled!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

So, what's the projected BHP, with and without NOS/supercharger?

I am quite sure many people on here will dislike this truck, but I for one think it is pretty cool. Mind you, you haven't shown the interior yet, it might be all vajazzled!

Yeah I wanted to do something different! I think it's around 350 BHP, but I have not put it on the dyno just yet. It's without NOS and supercharger but the NOS kit is here. The supercharger will probably blow the engine with stock parts. 

The interior is standard original V8. The only change is a carbon momo wheel.... that will be changing very soon 🤪

Edited by Arnie91

12 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

While I approve of the general silliness of it I can't bring myself to like the Chelsea tractor / chequebook aspect, but you do you.

Given that money clearly isn't an issue why not a more modern LS and do away with the clockwork?

I actually don't like the khan or chelsea truck designs. They seem cheap and without character (aggressive) for me. Trying to be hard but not hard. 
This does look different to me, maybe it doesn't to others? 

Thinking of the LS3 next year, but then everyone is getting an LS3, maybe something else like LS7/8? I wanted to get rid of the manual for a TH350 on the current engine, but I'm actually really liking the stick. It's not heavy for me I have huge feet like godzilla

Edited by Arnie91

I think it does look different but I can only tell so much from one picture of a black car taken at night in the rain 🙂 

I didn’t think the list looked that spendy until I saw the brake kit and the leather retrim and then I was like yeah okay.

Looks good to me. Probably what my to do wish list would look like. 

Good luck with it. 🙂

Cracked while installing more like !

On 10/13/2020 at 11:39 AM, Arnie91 said:

The interior is standard original V8. The only change is a carbon momo wheel.... that will be changing very soon 🤪

Quite right. You are putting the standard one back then ? We will all approve of that, Im sure 😆 

I like it, definitely need to see more photos. At least it's not just a boggo 2.2 sheep in wolf's clothing.

You'll get those that don't think a Defender is proper unless there's bailer twine holding a door closed and at least three different types of brake caliper of varying serviceability.

A bit of variety doesn't hurt the forum.

• Like 4

Me too , one of the reasons I've stayed with Land Rovers for so long is the vast variety of mods and personalised things that are done to all ages of (real) Land Rovers . 

A good friend is currently building a '67 2a 88 with a 350 small block Chevy . It started with the intention of putting a RV8 4.6 in but when he opened the engine up it was scrap so when a Chevy came up at the right price ...

Looking forward to seeing how this 90 evolves , keep posting your progress 

cheers

Steve b 

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

At least it's not just a boggo 2.2 sheep in wolf's clothing.

Amen to that - mind you I was chatting to a chap at a play day with a very boyed-up TD5 who was explaining how it had over 300bhp and I had to walk away before I said something undiplomatic :lol:

• Haha 4

On 10/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Amen to that - mind you I was chatting to a chap at a play day with a very boyed-up TD5 who was explaining how it had over 300bhp and I had to walk away before I said something undiplomatic :lol:

i would confidently assume he was wearing high vis, the car was smokey & had a popcorn limiter

On 10/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, Arnie91 said:

Decided to start a little log of all the trials and tribulations of my defender.

Engine: Chevrolet 350CI Short Block

Piiiiics!!

4 minutes ago, Michele said:

Please take some pics to share 😊

Hey Michele ☺️ 

I will , once there is something to see , He is still renovating the BH and we all know what that is like ....

The engine is at the machinists so things will happen soon .

Steve 

I'm a fan of the old Chevy 350

Is it an L46, L48,L65, LM1, ZQ3 or any of the other huge range of performance lumps running 250 to 400 bhp (american); or just a 350?

I'm amazed the R380 hasn't gone 'pop', but the total disappointment of an auto would be almost unbearable. I fitted a rebuilt L46 into a MK Hi-lux, about 30 odd years ago. I ended up using a  3speed Torque-flight 727 out of a combine harvester, rebuilt by the Nutty Professor... The L46 is 350bhp out of the factory, but I squeezed more out of it, with a four barrel Holley instead of the Rochester. it was fun. Towed well, when ballasted

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Ah yes, I had to listen to a Muppet at a play day saying his 3.9 V Belt was over 280 BHP....

I asked him how and he sprouted about himself porting it at home with a dremil and other exotic upgrades.

I said he had done really well, considering my 90 + trhe John Eales full race triple plenum 5.2V8 only made 342BHP....

you could have heard a pin drop with him and his mates,............ until the laughter started :rofl:

20 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Meaning?

1 Metric HP is 735.5 watts

1 Imperial HP is 745 watts

1 Murican HP is 746 watts

Older american engines were tested to SAE Gross Horsepower  - withouth water pump, alternator, PS pump etc; so potentially much higher outputs for older engines

It's a pedant's playground