Heat Shield Material

Bigj66

7 minutes ago, smallfry said:

How big does the shield need to be, and how big is the gap ?

I’m looking at various sizes to protect the area around the cats and in the engine bay underneath things like the expansion tank so no specific size but sheets of say 300 x 300 would work.

16 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Can anyone recommend a self supporting heat shield material that can be formed to shape and will protect against exhaust heat?

Yes, a piece of thin sheet steel, say 16 - 18 gauge, maybe 20 gauge at a pinch.  It's thin enough to shape fairly easily, strong enough to be self supporting, as long as you can minimise the unsupported section, and it provides a good heat shield effect, unaffected by the heat source.  And you can weld it to complex shapes if necessary, or even add stiffening/supporting sections if needed.  I've used this both to protect the underbody from exhaust pipe heat and in the 300Tdi engine bay to protect the rubber air inlet hose from exhaust manifold heat.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I know this isn't exactly what you're after, but I've used self adhesive heat insulation from Merlin Motorsport as I was worried about the proximity of chassis legs to manifolds.

They do have some (very expensive) sheeting that you can form into the shape required.  https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/heat-insulation/zircoflex-heat-insulation/zircoflex-form-structural-heat-shield

Well if I was building myself a space shuttle instead of a V8 Landrover then I might consider that Zircoflex but Merlin also do another version which is much more palatable on the wallet. 

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/nimbus-gii-2-layer-heat-shield-material-aero-nim-s

I’ll look around at dimpled ali sheeting to compare.

Cheers.

What are you trying to protect? It will affect the choice of material, etc.

Often, a simple piece of thin plate attached just proud of the surface you wish to protect is enough to stop things baking. But without knowing specifics, it is hard to suggest anything as best solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

What are you trying to protect? It will affect the choice of material, etc.

Often, a simple piece of thin plate attached just proud of the surface you wish to protect is enough to stop things baking. But without knowing specifics, it is hard to suggest anything as best solution.

I was looking at the hose runs for the gearbox cooler and as they aren’t a million miles away from the catalytic converter I thought about putting something in between the two for times when the car is sat in traffic and the heat isn’t naturally dispersed by airflow.

I’m also looking at a position for the expansion tank and fixed to the wing above the manifold would be ideal so something to shield that upward heat would be good.

Do the cats not have built in heat shields? They would normally...

Shielding the manifold, I would work out a thin sheet steel (stainless?) bent to suit, and fixed via the manifold bolts.

I'm not a fan of the flimsy tin, they seem to get bent about quite easily, and essentially wear out very quickly.

13 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Didn't @steve200TDi use a load of that dimpled sheet on his racer?

I did!

It is embossed Aluminium like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GII-G2-Embossed-Aluminium-Heat-Shield-Material-Simgle-Layer-Sheet-Exclusive-NEW-/152936424018#:~:text=BSTFLEX embossed aluminum heat shield,has a low emissive rate.

Steve 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

I was looking at the hose runs for the gearbox cooler and as they aren’t a million miles away from the catalytic converter I thought about putting something in between the two for times when the car is sat in traffic and the heat isn’t naturally dispersed by airflow.

I’m also looking at a position for the expansion tank and fixed to the wing above the manifold would be ideal so something to shield that upward heat would be good.

Airflow may not help as much as you think, the radiated heat from a red-hot cat may not be knocked down much by airflow - and with the EGT's likely being a lot higher when cruising along at speed than sat in traffic... personally I'd be inclined to build it without and then do the experiment to see what you actually need, if anything.

Temperature indicator labels cost peanuts and will give you a more accurate picture of what's getting hot.

2 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

I've removed mine and the heatshield is surplus at the moment, would it suit your needs?

I took some pictures

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.1df4ccd1ec64f041e89b04be88511336.JPG

IMG_0667.thumb.JPG.73c7b014974f76afd2ad846618108e74.JPG

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.45092fdab5275860474a6b6c191a5ee8.JPG

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this thread but I don't want to create my own when a lot of good info is here.

I am getting excessive heat into the cabin from the exhausts running under both footwell plates and the seatbox.

I have a plan to wrap the exhaust  using this stuff. Unlike the Amazon special I had before, this is almost certain to not contain horrendous ingredients of dubious origin. That should deal with most of the problem, but there will still be heat from the engine and transmission that I'd like to remove as it is pretty miserable without AC.

I want to put in heat insulation under the floor and up the engne side of bulkhead to the top of the footwells. I have looked at the Aluminium sheet recommended above but it is meant for creating a heat shield around a specific hot thing, so I wonder if it would work as well if affixed directly to the thing you're trying to keep cool. Without the stand-off that a heat shield gives you, I would have thought the heat just leaches through. It will also be difficult to shape accurately to the bulkhead.

The only other products that seem to be designed for what I'm wanting are extremely expensive but seem like they would be more effective at keeping heat out, be easier to form to the shape of the bulkhead and add some acoustic damping too.

Are there any other products people have tried/are aware of that are meant for covering reasonably large areas but which don't cost £100 for a metre squared?

A simple piece of very thin ali bent to shape, and fitted to the floor with a stand off will work as well as fitting it to the exhaust -you just need the air gap to make it work. 10mm is probably enough.

• Like 1