Led headlights

Well they look ok not in a hurry to fit them.if I want top of the line headlights I buy nightforce . I think the Australian use them on there ute s. I have used nightforce for hunting , you won't get better and their scopes are top of the line. Well hey ho they are E marked. If there are any children that would like to report the seller for fake/ copyright marks , the link to the seller at the top of the thread.

Had guessed that, difficult to see a pattern against a non-flat surface so close to the light source though. 😄 That said, the output from my Noldens looks a little strange if you park up close to a wall, it is only when it hits the ground that you appreciate the pattern but I suspect they are worth the extra cost.

Will be interesting what the cut-off is like (if it even has one) and what the MOT tester makes of them.  Also make sure that you aren't dazzling oncoming drivers, too many people use cheap / knockoff / fake lights that seem to throw the light everywhere other than illuminate the road directly in-front of the vehicle they are fitted to. The boy racers around here certainly love them.

Output doesn't matter if the pattern is completely wrong, and like I said, I've tested them before and it was like on the picture above, a small line from left to right and above that a rectangular, project that on the street  .. complete rubbish.

39 minutes ago, ballcock said:

They may be E marked but not for UK. if that is E8 that covers the Czech Republic which is left hand drive I believe.

Looks like a 9 to me but thats Spain. But how does this work? The RHD Trucklite lights (i think the arrow shows they are RHD versions) on the paddocks site are E13. Thats Luxembourg. 

https://www.paddockspares.com/trucklite-7-defender-led-headlamps-rhd-pair.html

The E mark number only indicates which member country approved the item.  Approval then applies throughout the EU, not just in the approving country.  Of course, attention must still be paid to the various requirements of left and right hand drive vehicles.

Mike

Here’s a genuine ECE approval marking for comparison:

EF660202-8D19-4833-9898-1B469AA110A4.thumb.jpeg.eb139e037a4b1c6b048c5ad2ae097d76.jpeg

HCR - halogen H4 dipped/high. E13 - country of test (Luxembourg). Arrow denotes RHD or LHD I believe. Approval number below.

Anything with just the E number on its own or with DOT alongside will be fake I’m afraid. 

24 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Mine have the arrow on them to denote that they are RHD (or left hand traffic). There isnt much of a kick up though. 

Many of the LEDs use an American mask and a hard, horizontal cutoff. They will pass the UK MOT test, but don't light the nearside verge up as much as you would expect. I have some cheapies mounted on my truck - they have the correct E mark and pass the MOT beam check, but I would not be surprised if they are fake.

15 hours ago, andy _1 said:

Well they look ok not in a hurry to fit them.if I want top of the line headlights I buy nightforce . I think the Australian use them on there ute s. I have used nightforce for hunting , you won't get better and their scopes are top of the line. Well hey ho they are E marked. If there are any children that would like to report the seller for fake/ copyright marks , the link to the seller at the top of the thread.

nightforce are an american company that make scopes,

lightforce are an australian company that make lights, they dont make headlight upgrades unfortunatley & have been off the top of the lighting game for a while now,

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:07 AM, western said:

I've done similar with my Crystal headlights & Night breaker filaments [150% brighter version] used 2 relays one for dip & one for main, powered direct from alternator output via 30amp fuses, upgraded the wiring from relays to headlights & constructed my own sub loom, far better light output & range for night driving on unlit roads of all types.

Did you happen to do one of your usual excellent tech write ups for this? I've got crystal lenses and nightbreakers which were fantastic compared to the original setup but I do suspect a weak power supply to them sometimes.

50 minutes ago, paime said:

Did you happen to do one of your usual excellent tech write ups for this? I've got crystal lenses and nightbreakers which were fantastic compared to the original setup but I do suspect a weak power supply to them sometimes.

Measure the voltage at the bulb terminals to see what you are getting.

You can buy off the shelf kits for the relay upgrade to save you the hassle or make your own if you want to. Essentially you just need two 5 pin change over relays, one for dipped beam and one for main. Wire the relays like this: Fused positive supply from the battery to 30. Ground position 85. Connect the wire from the switch (one relay for dipped the other for main) to position 86. Connect the output wires (one to each lamp) to position 87. (87a is left unconnected) . I've used 17amp wire to the lights. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions?fbclid=IwAR35uzf_w0rEnL7T2Ah8qDqsoFpLCP47JTv1a9180bk2Ai6GK-kqmxudS4s

Found this on Facebook, not light units but bulbs and I hadn’t seen it posted anywhere and people might have already seen it but thought I’d post it up anyway.

• Like 1