Gloves

Anderzander

Nitrile are waaaaay better than latex. 

Can get different grades, tried the thicker ones but ended up going back to the thinner ones. All depends on what you are doing -anything with sharp bits and nothing will last very long.

Personally after trying rubbery and latex type gloves I have been using Costco rubber faced cloth ones. The only downside is that they must be synthetic as they start to disintegrate when using a grinder. However they are great for heavyweight stuff like axles etc.

I rarely bother but the Costco style gloves are great in the winter when it's cold. You can get vinyl gloves but I've never tried them. One of my work colleagues has been using latex for years but grumbled he doesn't like them, when I asked why he said they make him itch. I then pointed out he is allergic to latex, he's been using nitrile since with no itching (I can't us powdered for the same reason).

Mike

Like you, I use nitrile gloves, but as you say they often break up on harder jobs and in summer/warm weather your hands sweat in them a lot - well mine do 😊. So this year, after seeing them on Ed China’s vids, I tried the Ansell Hyflex gloves. I tried one pair first of all, to see how they were, really good wear rate, ideal for the heavier jobs and low sweating even when hot. So now I only wear the normal nitrile gloves if it’s a really greasy/oily job.

After trying out that single pair ordered off Amazon, I sourced them at a cheaper price from here… https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/personal-protection-and-clothing/mechanical-hazard-gloves/11-840-hyflex-fortix-palm-side-coated-black-grey-gloves-size-9/p/ANS9610673D

Not cheap though, they were still £3.50 a pair when I ordered at the beginning of the summer, now about 20% more. You do get really good wear rate though, so working out ok compared to the standard nitrile ones, that have all gone up in price too - practically twice as much as before pandemic. 

cheers, Steve 

• Thanks 2

I'm badly allergic to latex and even to Nitrile after prolonged use. I do a lot of knapsack herbicide application and have done for the last 40 years, an over the years I've developed a sensitivity to Nitrile and have always been allregic to latex. So much so that the outer dermis on the back of my hands is almost as fragile as a long term steroid user.

I use a barrier cream to help with the nitrile issues and have found Mamba nitrile gloves to be better than most, along with the purple medical nitrile gloves.

For work on the vehicle and protect the skin on the back of my hands I use lightweight leather gloves or , for heavier jobs I use mechanix gloves (preferably the ones with the knuckle protectors

I'm keen on the military spec gloves for when I'm doing chainsaw work - chainsaw gloves are not mandatory, unlike boots and leggings...

• Thanks 1

Two different options (well three)

For the really oily, likely to get soaked, jobs I use Ansell 'TouchNTuff' Nitrile, I don't have the most reliable supply for them so I eek them out. If its only a quick job I've got some cheaper latex ones.

Most of my grinding and fabrication stuff I either do bare handed or with option two, which is the Ansell Highflex. Couple of different versions, usually the white and light grey ones which do wear out after a while. If I'm doing anything particularly 'dodgy' safety wise, I've got a pair of kevlar reinforced versions which are all black/grey. 

The normal Ansell highflex grey/white ones are amazingly grippy, even when oily or wet on a smooth surface.

I don't normally pay for the above, but they're good enough that I would! :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if you are anywhere near a "Home bargains", but currently they have in some gloves in their gardening section that are pretty tough. They have fiberglass in the front coating and are cut and abrasion resistant. I found these to be great for any rough work.

They are not waterproof/oil resistant so not good for oil soaked jobs, but good for a lot of tough jobs where you don't want thick leather gloves. 

They only have large and extra large in the stores near me and they are £2/pair.

Being home bargains they could be here one minute and gone the next.

I bought Mechanix gloves because I saw AvE was using them, I am a suggestible dimwit and they look Gucci, but I found the use case for them to be incredibly narrow. You don't want to handle anything oily as they are fabric, you don't have as good dexterity as with nitrile and they didn't seem too abrasion-resistant as the finger tips wore out after about a month.

I find a pair of nitrile gloves under a pair of Site-type rubber coated cotton ones will work for most uses. 

We use get to the mechanix gloves in work, they look Gucci but in reality they aren’t good for oily work, one’s dexterity is greatly reduced and the threads on the fingers don’t last and end up coming apart. 

personally a mix of the ansell nitrile gloves and hyflex gloves work for me depending if it’s rough heavy work or oily jobs 

I quite like the Skytec Gloves, I think I have tha Aria ones lying around. The technicians at my old job (electronics) received some free samples from Wera I think they were and really liked them for some of the sensitive (finger marks etc) work they did. Eventually tracked down the manufacturer.

Not quite as oil resistant as Nitrile etc., but for general spannering much prefer them.

https://www.skytecgloves.com/skytec-aria?gi=1n0hcbnpheofpn7jql9qdl79m6#.YXkzr56KQuU

21 hours ago, Mossberg said:

16352730188638503791588614502154.thumb.jpg.a1bcfc98e9a7355e7085ba5447964b13.jpg

This type I tend to use. as an aside, is it just me but is anyone else having to spend ages in the garage trying to find a pair of gloves and only seem to find LH ones? I found 8 on the last count but not a single RH.

Daan

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Without gloves I get an allergic reaction to the various chemicals involved with tinkering, not an option for me.

That's unfortunate, I'm lucky I've never (so far) had an issue like that, only gloves I use reasonably often are welding gauntlets regards Stephen