UFO identification help needed

Now that I've got your attention.. For me it really is a potential UFO! Read on.

Land Rover 110 - 1988 - 200TDI - LHD

Was driving about 50km/h when I hit a pothole and the steering wheel started to shock heavily from left to right (and vice versa) and the car of course also, had trouble to keep it on the road, stopped immediately on the side of the road. Inspected the steering, wheels, axle, suspension, .. nothing wrong to see. Did a small test drive and drove normal like nothing happened.. Went back to the pothole to check and found a piece that I cannot identify (see pictures in attachment). 

Is this something from my car or is it something that was lying on the streets and catapulted into my steering setup which caused the heavy shocking? Hence the Unidentified Flying Object.

I've never seen it before so I'm guessing it's not from my vehicle but wanted to check for sure with you guy's.. Size is about 4cm to 2,5cm.

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_5513.jpg

So first impressions, its not rusty enough to have come from a land rover... I don't recognise it.

I've had instances of hitting a big pot hole in the road in numerous land rovers and getting unstable steering, its often a sign that your shocks/swivels might need some attention in the not too distant future.

• 7 months later...

A moment of respect for this forum (specifically Ralph/Soutie) being able to recognise the exact application for something fished out of a pothole that was in all likelihood not even part of a Land Rover, and definitely not related to the problem described. Just shaken loose at exactly the wrong moment.

Might sound trite but that is some seriously impressive nerding.

• Like 3

Well you lot best look for my spacer & it's 100mm bolt that's gone awol, found out it was missing this morning when the alt belt broke just after I left home at 4am to drive to Honiton area for rally recovery duty, I turned round & came back home,  managed to obtain a new alt belt, made a 100mm stud fton M8 threaded bar, used 4 x M8 nuts to stand in as a replacement for the spacer. 

Seems a new spacer are a obsolete item. 

3 minutes ago, western said:

Well you lot best look for my spacer & it's 100mm bolt that's gone awol, found out it was missing this morning when the alt belt broke just after I left home at 4am to drive to Honiton area for rally recovery duty, I turned round & came back home,  managed to obtain a new alt belt, made a 100mm stud fton M8 threaded bar, used 4 x M8 nuts to stand in as a replacement for the spacer. 

Seems a new spacer are a obsolete item. 

Post dimensions up and I will make you one on the lathe regards Stephen

• Like 1

Don't do anything yet, & Thanks very much for the offer,

I have to go to my local LR parts shop tomorrow after work to get some new belts for spare, we are going to see if the spacer is available, if not I will let you know,

I think the dimensions are in the original post. 

Found a new spacer online, it's due to be delivered by the end of the day tomorrow Thursday, so I'll have all the parts I need to replace the Bush & fit 2 new vee belts (alt/water pump & pas pump)

I will measure the spacer & post a diagram here tomorrow for future reference. 

New spacer arrived, brand new LR part. Tracking info says it was collected from Unipart distribution @ Cowley, Oxford. 

photos & dimensions 

Length 34mm

External dameter 17mm

Hole diameter approx 8.4mm for a M8 bolt clearance 

IMG_20220609_164407.jpg

IMG_20220609_164334.jpg

IMG_20220609_164309.jpg

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd expect that ruler to have variable pitch along its length....

No. Its fine I have checked it. 👍

Spacer & new alt/water pump & Pas belts will be fitted this weekend but only if the weather is good & dry. 

5 hours ago, western said:

LRP on Formal industrial estate at West end of Camborne, just of the A30 behind the travel inn/pub. 

I lived opposite the Cornish Choughs pub for 12 months many moons ago 😁 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Reminds me of an old colleague (ex apprentice)…. He was playing about with the CNC mini-mill and knocked up a handful of 200mm rules, only he did them at about 80ish% scale…. Just to screw with a few graduates :lol:. Took them ages to work out why some thing didn’t add up or why they couldn’t find suitable parts :rofl: 

That's evil! That a whole extra level of messing with minds, well past the tartan paint, long rest and left handed screwdriver.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:39 AM, Bowie69 said:

I'd expect that ruler to have variable pitch along its length....

A variable pitch is too restrictive so they've progressed from there.  They now do elasticated rules so it can show whatever dimension is required.

Mike

On 6/10/2022 at 3:50 AM, landroversforever said:

Reminds me of an old colleague (ex apprentice)…. He was playing about with the CNC mini-mill and knocked up a handful of 200mm rules, only he did them at about 80ish% scale…. Just to screw with a few graduates :lol:. Took them ages to work out why some thing didn’t add up or why they couldn’t find suitable parts :rofl: 

My old man had a business building racking and storage systems.  One of the designers he contracted to, Jim, was so regularly wrong with the measurements and plans that all of the fitters referred to his measurements in “Jimmimetres”.

• Haha 1