Specifications and prices released

Another blasted vehicle with the "Poverty White" no cost option!

I want a basic (ish) vehicle with side runners, (for Mother and Mother in law)

GO3A/GEC 5 seat SW Diesel, £52,000 + Britannia Blue £505 + Scottish White Contrast Roof £915 + BFG T/A KO2 tyres £470 + Spare Wheel Lockable Box £260 +Safari Windows £1445 +Fixed tow ball & electrics £570 +High Load Switch Panel £1060 + Auxillary Charge Points £155 + Side Runner £809 = £58,189

The £59,000 "most of the options" special editions start to look like better value; to the Trailmaster Edition I'd need to add the paint options, (505 + 915), Safari Windows (1445), lockable storage box, (260), Tow pack (570) and the side runner (809) = £63,504, including lots of stuff I don't really need like locking diffs, raised air intake, utility belt and access ladder.

Saddle leather Driver's Pack is too much @ £620, the Safari Windows @ £1445 and the lockable storage box is looking iffy too @ £260

My priced Land Rover Defenders in Poverty White were 110 3 seat Van with tow pack £54,580, 110 5 seat CSW with tow pack £47,700; these are a little academic as you cannot get one within 12 months.

I do not want to spend over £60k on a vehicle, so it's time to analyse the price list and see if there are any compromises I'm willing to make

Edited by jeremy996
More thoughts!
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

Another blasted vehicle with the "Poverty White" no cost option!

I want a basic (ish) vehicle with side runners, (for Mother and Mother in law)

GO3A/GEC 5 seat SW Diesel, £52,000 + Britannia Blue £505 + Scottish White Contrast Roof £915 + BFG T/A KO2 tyres £470 + Spare Wheel Lockable Box £260 +Safari Windows £1445 +Fixed tow ball & electrics £570 +High Load Switch Panel £1060 + Auxillary Charge Points £155 + Side Runner £809 = £58,189

The £59,000 "most of the options" special editions start to look like better value; to the Trailmaster Edition I'd need to add the paint options, (505 + 915), Safari Windows (1445), lockable storage box, (260), Tow pack (570) and the side runner (809) = £63,504, including lots of stuff I don't really need like locking diffs, raised air intake, utility belt and access ladder.

Saddle leather Driver's Pack is too much @ £620, the Safari Windows @ £1445 and the lockable storage box is looking iffy too @ £260

My priced Land Rover Defenders in Poverty White were 110 3 seat Van with tow pack £54,580, 110 5 seat CSW with tow pack £47,700; these are a little academic as you cannot get one within 12 months. 

I like the spec you're trying to build, very 1989 Land Rover retro-modern. That's where these should be good if they are true to the original design ethos.

I built the one I'd want (my 90 but with 5 seats) and came out at £62k.

The technical spec is fairly good, but it is a very expensive vehicle for sure. No info on VAT that I can see yet but if you assume the tax is reclaimable it puts a base spec utility wagon at £41k or so.

The weight is a surprise too - 2.7 tonnes kerb weight puts it at 400kg heavier than my 110. Which I suppose goes some way to explaining the rather poor fuel economy.

My spec (base USW with locking diffs, tyres, a colour and a towbar), comes to £51,760 plus whatever VED fun and games gets added on. Strong money. 

6 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Is it strong money? What can we compare it against ? 

Base spec 5 door land cruisers start at £45k 

Exactly, the world has gotten dear.  We were looking at commercial vehicle options that aren't a twin cab pick up and in the UK market had the choice of land cruiser commercial, 90/110 commercial or D5 commercial. Ex demo base ish spec D5 commercial is/was 65k.

Jeremy I know given your background the figures will rule the deal but a few extra £000 for the higher spec model would surely show in re-sale value and more importantly speed/ease of sale should you ever need to.

I lost count of the times I PDI'd tractors that for an extra £1200 option that not only would have benefited the farmer would have more than doubled the size of the second hand market for it. 

Will.

• Like 2

Yes compared to a Land Cruiser or a new Defender it’s about the same, starting at slightly more than both. Doesn’t stop it being a fair wedge of cash though.

There was an awful lot of crowing when the new Defender was released about the price  compared to the old one, despite the fact that it is a whole lot more car for the money. This is the same - if it lives up to the hype then the engineering and quality will be far better than the old Defender and so it should command a higher price.

I’m looking forward to trying one out. I’m not sure what the lead time on one will be if you joined the order queue now but I wouldn’t bet on it being much quicker than that other new car like the Defender.  

Anything out of Europe just now seems to be 18 months plus...

Well by the time I get the camel "restored" and sold to a wealthy American I might be able to afford a Grenadier!!!😂 just not the fuel to put in it! Whens the hydrogen fuel cell model come out?...

15 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Is it strong money? What can we compare it against ? 

Base spec 5 door land cruisers start at £45k 

Personally I wouldn't even consider the Land Cruiser as an alternative. They are minging visually. Also less powerful engines and lower spec in general. Good vehicles I'm sure, but not for me.

If you don't need the towing ability the 5dr Wrangler is quite a similar vehicle in every other regard. Seems prices on these have jumped by nearly £10k since last year though. So very very similar to the Grenadier.

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 12.05.15 pm.png

Current prices are obviously affected upwards by the shortage of chip supply for all manufacturers, pushing up used prices too.  So, while HOG is right that these cars are very dear compared to Pumas when new, there is a decade of inflation and the recent car market inflation to consider, plus Defender costs could be suppressed while in production buy the fact that the model had been in production for two decades before its final iteration, with little change beyond bought-in engines and transmissions and a facia and bonnet to suit, so minimal R&D, while the Grenadier is a new vehicle with all those costs to be recovered.  Even the Pretender, R&D costs are reduced by having so much commonality with the D5.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say I told you so, but I'm pretty sure I said they'd never significantly undercut the Defender when they originally announced it, and got shouted down by everyone who thinks JLR don't know how to manufacture a vehicle :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Hate to say I told you so, but I'm pretty sure I said they'd never significantly undercut the Defender when they originally announced it, and got shouted down by everyone who thinks JLR don't know how to manufacture a vehicle :rolleyes:

Yeah there was a lot of that going around...

I was interested to see how a low volume manufacturer was going to be undercut by an even lower volume, even more niche one.

The order process and configurator is supposedly open, but it keeps crashing on me. I'll have another go later tonight. The helpline staff are a bit swamped; I think they have been overwhelmed with the number of people who jumped on, all at once this morning. 

• Like 1

Mine is now configured and reserved, the OTR cost is £60,624.02. I have not gone down the Belstaff edition route, as there were too many shiny things I did not want. 

Useful information about your vehicle’s technical specification and your selected configuration. 18th May 2022

1. Vehicle & powertrain

Model Station Wagon Version Grenadier

Engine BMW 3.0L Twin-Turbo Diesel, Straight-Six Engine

Transmission 8-Speed Automatic Transmission with Manual Override

2. Exterior Body

colour Britannia Blue (Solid)

Contrast elements Contrast Roof - Scottish White

Wheels 17" Steel Wheel

Tyres BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 Tyre

Options and accessories

Safari Windows

Bump strips

3. Interior Interior trim

Utility Trim Comfort

Central Stowage Box, Lockable

Nappa Leather Driver's Pack

Flooring Heavy Duty Utility Flooring with Drain Valves

Floor Mats Rubber Floor Mats *

4. Utility Packs

Smooth pack

Off-road Centre Differential Lock

Side Runners *

Winching and towing Fixed Tow ball and electrics

Power High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel & Electrical Preparation

Auxiliary Charge Points

Safety, Security & Convenience

Advanced Anti-Theft Alarm & Immobiliser (Thatcham Cat. 1)

Park Assist Rear (PDC)

Power Heated Exterior Mirrors

Heated Windscreen Washer Jets

Anti-Theft Alarm & Immobiliser

Park Assist Front (PDC)

Rear-View Camera

Roadside Emergency Kit

The build month is given as October 2022, which is really irritating as I'm going to France on the 18th September 2022.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I’m surprised to see centre diff lock as an option.  That surely must be standard?

It is standard - you cannot not have it! But front and rear difflocks are extras. I have copied and pasted from the summary I downloaded and the format has not survived.orderPdf.pdforderPdf.pdforderPdf.pdf

Edited by jeremy996
adding .pdf to show ordered specification