Insurance

Bigj66

It’s time to look at alternatives to NFU for my insurance as they don’t do classic vehicle policies and I no longer use the series for work.

I know I’ll be opening up a can of worms with this question but I’m looking for recommendations for companies that will cover modified classic vehicles. I know there’s a few who advertise in the mags etc but I’d like a heads up on ones to avoid as a result of poor service etc and ones where the service and any claim handling has been good.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, Nonimouse said:

I stick with NFU, on a multi car policy. They allow me 12k a year on the DIsco, fully comp, two named drivers, £112.00

Is £112 the extra premium for the disco on a multi car policy?

13 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Is £112 the extra premium for the disco on a multi car policy?

No, it's the premium for that vehicle. By 'Multi Car', I don't mean any and all cars, I have four cars on one policy (soon to be two), with individual costs un der one premium

4 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

The devil is in the detail (extent of cover, voluntary excess, legal fees, protected NCB etc.) but I would say that is a very good price.

I am an Advanced Driver and a member of the IOPD, which helps, but also club membership seems to help somewhat

Flux are ridiculously cheap on my modified 110, around £120 I think.  For my standard Freelander the AA offered the best value cover at a few hundred £.

I was with NFU for years until their premiums started getting ridiculous, over £800 for the Freelander!

It surprises me to hear of others getting decent quotes out of them,  I'm 60 with no claims or convictions in a "good" postcode, I don't think they wanted the business.

55 minutes ago, pat_pending said:

Flux are ridiculously cheap on my modified 110, around £120 I think.  For my standard Freelander the AA offered the best value cover at a few hundred £.

I was with NFU for years until their premiums started getting ridiculous, over £800 for the Freelander!

It surprises me to hear of others getting decent quotes out of them,  I'm 60 with no claims or convictions in a "good" postcode, I don't think they wanted the business.

I do think it is a lot to do with the office you deal with as premiums can vary depending on which one you use or if you deal with the national HQ so to speak.

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

My experience with Flux is somewhat different. Hope you never have to claim.

Mine didnt get further than part of a quote. Seemed to struggle with the words Land Rover. I soon gave up. Footman James werent much better. 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, Bigj66 said:

I think that’s always the risk with any company so yeah hopefully I’ll never need to find out.

Honestly I suspect anyone who's ever had to claim from any insurance company is unlikely to describe it as a pleasurable experience :ph34r:... the plus side is that at least with all mods covered they can't turn round and say you're uninsured which is what a lot of companies would do, and which then drops you in the really deep doo with the cops and other parties.

My NFU renewal is 'up' and is 12% higher than last year. They won't entertain any negotiation though, saying they are using what they call "fair pricing" or something. This seems to mean that the first renewal price is the last.

I tried Adrian Flux, entered loads of modifications on their site, had two phone conversations but their price is £90-£100 more than the NFU.

One thing about the NFU is that they happily cover us across Europe and this year provided a green card (no cost and no difficulty) for other destinations. They also employ people in the local office.

So I will stay with them but I do wonder how you guys are achieving premiums for less than £200.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Honestly I suspect anyone who's ever had to claim from any insurance company is unlikely to describe it as a pleasurable experience :ph34r:... the plus side is that at least with all mods covered they can't turn round and say you're uninsured which is what a lot of companies would do, and which then drops you in the really deep doo with the cops and other parties.

I don't know. We had a claim with LV one year (other half in the D2) and another with Cornish Mutual (I did a fairground ride impression on a wet M4 in our BMW one night near Swindon and hit everything going but walked away) and both were pretty good. Bought the D2 back but they valued the car at twice the amount I did and I put it back on the road for £400 so we actually made money out of that accident. The BMW... the loss adjuster was speechless that i got out of the car and walked away having seen in it (the roof was the only thing not damaged). They paid up very quickly though, although about £1000 less than we wanted but not a lot I could do about it. All over five years ago now thankfully, but Cornish Mutual premiums have stayed the same with about ten pounds of the previous years premiums for years.

Edited by reb78