BLX

I don’t know if we need a thread like this … but here’s my starter ….

Bullocks!  My zinc richer primer lid hadn’t sealed properly and is dry to the bottom 😡

IMG_9689.thumb.jpeg.8131a4cff219c928cae925534f6e576a.jpeg

not cheap either .. 

maybe I can weigh it in as zinc.

• Sad 1

Serviced one of my chainsaws on Saturday. Filled the fuel and oil tanks, ran it and tested it on a few bits of stuff around the ponds. All good. Drained the unused oil back into the 5 litre container of Stihl synthetic chain oil. Drained the virtually full fuel tank - but overlooked the fact the funnel was still in the oil can. 

S*d it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Can you not add a load of thinners in, leave it a while and then start mixing the two

^ this is what I'd do, I have the same or very similar, more accurate to call it "paint-rich-zinc" given how heavy it is it loves to settle and I nearly snapped the stirring stick off in it last time :lol: I add thinners every time I open it now.

4 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I can contribute.

Testing central locking system, but like an idiot I forgot I had the wires for the rear door taped together. The circuit board did not like that :rolleyes:

IMG_7494.thumb.jpeg.30981a0bc58a8c7e3295999c6e2f9728.jpeg

Oh no 😢 

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

^ this is what I'd do, I have the same or very similar, more accurate to call it "paint-rich-zinc" given how heavy it is it loves to settle and I nearly snapped the stirring stick off in it last time :lol: I add thinners every time I open it now.

I will give it a go - I’ve a bottle of xylene somewhere, which is the thinners for this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I can contribute.

Testing central locking system, but like an idiot I forgot I had the wires for the rear door taped together. The circuit board did not like that :rolleyes:

IMG_7494.thumb.jpeg.30981a0bc58a8c7e3295999c6e2f9728.jpeg

At least it was only the circuit board that you burnt!

My day involved completing another lap around the Sun, the best fry up you can get in Dubai with my wife, cleaning the living room rug and a surprise preliminary job interview on the phone (quite a shock, especially as I only applied yesterday).

8 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Serviced one of my chainsaws on Saturday. Filled the fuel and oil tanks, ran it and tested it on a few bits of stuff around the ponds. All good. Drained the unused oil back into the 5 litre container of Stihl synthetic chain oil. Drained the virtually full fuel tank - but overlooked the fact the funnel was still in the oil can. 

S*d it.

I did the other way a couple of years back….. poured the entire bottle of chain lube into the fuel section :lol: only realised when the bugger was properly struggling to start. Probably a good thing as I wasn’t awake enough for a chainsaw!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JeffR said:

Where do I start..... I've done some gems over the years.

Latest (last week) was wasting a day of my life trying to trace a fault with brake lights. New battery fitted, Continuity was fine in all the wires, no obvious shorts, all bulbs/bulb holders swapped out with known good ones, all the earths cleaned , all multi pin connectors cleaned . Gave up . Got a mate round to give me a hand......................

He opened the battery box and collapsed in fits of giggles, on his back unable to do anything. I'd left the effing plastic post covers on the battery.......

Just remember "To err is human, to really f£$k up takes a Jeff "

I remember once, many moons ago at @Escape's workshop, a D2 came in where the brake lights didn't work. Spent hours going over the brake switch, wiring, everything... turned out all the bulbs just went out at approximately the same time :glare:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 2 to add….m14 bolt head “fell off” while I was doing a tap test. That was fun. this bolt is one of 8 that hold a winch on. Going by the rust it has been cracked for a whileIMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.1571ed674b19dd9f0423d8176095a6e0.jpeg

second one is when a hook block gets jammed up and driver diddnt realise but still hoisted down….

74bd5b11-d940-49f8-a20e-83fdc6ba44b5.thumb.jpeg.a5e2378b6e9c79abd55f375aa092d21a.jpeg

• Sad 6

• 4 weeks later...

It is .. though I had only parked there for 10 minutes.

When I did the trailer wiring I had to disturb the filler pipe - and it was looking like it might be starting to perish, so I’ll give it a clean off and start there.

When it stops raining. ️ 

• Like 1

I will be able to fill this tread :rofl:

Last one was after changing the rear diff on an L322 I forgot to top up the diff oil. Took it for several test runs then took it to the supermarket (9miles away) and back without a problem but still not quite happy as I heard a crunching on the first test drive. Took it for another run and blew the diff 2 miles from home. Manged to get it back home and changed the diff again this time making sure the oil was topped up. 

Took it for a test drive and all was good. 

Here the downer the first time I went to go out the front driveshaft exploded fortunately I had only just got out of my driveway and was fortunate that 3 guys stopped and pushed me back in to my parking space.

• Sad 1