Can-opened Defender

SimonPearson

Hmm, within 10 minutes of getting to Slindon today I did this to my 'new' 90:

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Was driving slowly around the 'Wall of Death' which has claimed many a worthy vehicle before, and got wedged up against the tree. Funny really, because as we drove into the section I said to my passenger "I've not been around here before but I hear it's a bit tricky" and "cor - look at all the different colours of paint on the side of that tree". :D:D

Well, we got wedged up against the tree and the truck cab was squishing in a bit, we were pretty stuck but I thought we'd get off the tree in 1st with a little 'boot' on the throttle.

Snick gear lever into 1st...

Blip throttle...

and...

POW! goes the truck cab roof.. and POP! POP! POP! go each of the side windows and rear truck cab windows! :unsure:

I just sat there wetting myself laughing but my passenger strangely lost enthusiasm and shortly thereafter said he wanted to go home. :huh:

Whaddya think? A bit of T-Cut and it'll come out I reckon.

Wow Mate, sorry to see that. That rear cross-member really looks knackered. Replacing it isn't terribly difficult but a hassle nonetheless.

Oh - I quite like that convertible hard top. Never seen one of those before. Where'd you acquire it?

Glad nobody was hurt and congratulations on having a sense of humour. I know I would be out of sorts over that sort of thing - for no good reason. Your approach is much healthier. :)

Ooops. I'm thinking Slindon needs respect.

Time for a soft top I reckon not you'veremoved that truck cab so swiftly.

And what's with the front. Looks like the front edge of the wings have been trimmed for a hig level bumper?

Simon, word around the marshals was a 90 with driver that didn't need any help! Amazed when I saw you driving home at 4-15pm with various bits of aluminium stuffed in the back! Priceless!

BTW I still have the old Bestop soft-top from the NAS, any use...................................

Poor effort, Simon, you didn't manage to break the windscreen :lol:;)

Oh yes I did!

See that blue thing under the leading edge of the truck cab? Well, that's the top rail of the windscreen frame! It ripped that f***er right off! I've not seen that happen before - it's totally ripped the cast aluminium apart. Plus, of course, the glass has a spider-web of lengthy cracks in it which don't show up so well in the photo.

Simon, word around the marshals was a 90 with driver that didn't need any help! Amazed when I saw you driving home at 4-15pm with various bits of aluminium stuffed in the back! Priceless!

BTW I still have the old Bestop soft-top from the NAS, any use...................................

Yes, t'was me!

I just removed the twisted truck cab and carried on driving around all day.

I thought I'd be a good boy before leaving and load up my scrap metal rather than leave it on site... mind you, we could've made a nice picnic table out of it!

I got A LOT of strange looks today. People were looking at me kind of like this -> :blink:

I have 2 soft tops in my spare parts bin and have kindly also received an offer of a nice sounding truck cab already, so thanks for the offer of teh NAS hood but I probably won't be needing it Dave.

Sorry it turned out to be yours. Rhino Ray came over and said that he had goaded on a chap in a 90 to do it and it had all gone a bit not so well. Only found out later in the day it was you.

Found the truck cab in the bushes - and it was a mess. Saw your 90 later - and it wasn't much better!

Diesel Dave has a couple of doors with lift up handles if you need - as I suspect you will!

That tree has a fair bit of my paint on it! Fortunatly only off the cage though.

Si

Sorry it turned out to be yours. Rhino Ray came over and said that he had goaded on a chap in a 90 to do it and it had all gone a bit not so well. Only found out later in the day it was you.

Found the truck cab in the bushes - and it was a mess. Saw your 90 later - and it wasn't much better!

Diesel Dave has a couple of doors with lift up handles if you need - as I suspect you will!

That tree has a fair bit of my paint on it! Fortunatly only off the cage though.

Si

There was no-one else around when we drove in there so I don't know what Rhino Ray is on about. However, it made a hell of a loud bang - somoene later told me they heard it while standing at the burger van(!) - so quite a few people showed up seconds later....

Fortunately, damage-wise, I have everything I need to fix it - spare parts sitting in my garden. Windscreen/frame, spare doors, and I've been offered a truck cab but I may take this opportunity to go full soft top and get a proper roll cage made.

Anyone want a twisted truck cab?