Front Number Plate Protection?

hattymender

My 'use the bollards in Tesco's as a parking aid' policy came unstuck yesterday, new front number plate needed. :( What a pantomime! Name, rank, shoe size etc. needed (and £9). :angry:

Never again!

So what can be done? I'm not keen on painted numbers on bonnet and being reasonably 'standard' I don't have a bull bar or roof bars to mount it on. I'd like to keep it on front bumper but give it some protection. I assume wire or mesh guards are out if they 'obscure' the plate?

Any suggestions?

You can obtain a bracket to stand the plate up on top of the bumper. Put the plate at one end of the bumper and only allow yourself 'full contact' parking in the centre of the bumper - are the bollards central to the space? My numberplate is mounted on the grill.

Chris

Mine's just on the front panel, behind the bumper.

defender2.jpg

Apparently it's passed many MOTs like that in it's history, so I'll be leaving it there until it fails one for it.

I'll try this. I need the top of the bumper clear to serve it's secondary function; it's the perfect step for climbing into the wheelie bin to do my 'rubbish compacting dance' :blink:

PS. The bollards in Tescos are covered in high density foam, but a bit trick to see with spare on bonnet. They give a nice thud when you hit them :ph34r:

I'll try this. I need the top of the bumper clear to serve it's secondary function; it's the perfect step for climbing into the wheelie bin to do my 'rubbish compacting dance' :blink:

PS. The bollards in Tescos are covered in high density foam, but a bit trick to see with spare on bonnet. They give a nice thud when you hit them :ph34r:

that's where i have mine.

passed last 2 mot's without comment

• 1 month later...
Mine's just on the front panel, behind the bumper.

defender2.jpg

Apparently it's passed many MOTs like that in it's history, so I'll be leaving it there until it fails one for it.

this is were mine is but mine is metal as well it was on the bumper but i moved it when i fitted the tow ball on the bumper

• 4 weeks later...
Just rivet it to the ventilation flap on the bulkhead. I lost count of the amount of numberplates I lost after a serious mudbath and the solution is so easy.

This sounds like the ideal solution but..........

Can anyone point me at the legislation as to where the front plate needs to be? I know it needs to be at or near vertical, but I have heard stories that it must be in front of the front axle? True or false?

MOT wont be a problem, but what about VOSA / DVLA / construction and use regs etc?

Please no "I've had it here for years with no problems" replies - I had a stick on number plate for years on the RR but that is not strictly legal as they don't have the correct retroreflectivity and that sailed through MOTs.

Thanks.

Thanks Steve,

I should have said I had found that via Google but it is typically vague in that the plate must be fitted to the "front" of the vehicle.

I suppose you could either read that as it must be right at the very front, or anywhere between the very front and the start of the "back" :wacko: which of course is err, just past half way????? :unsure::blink:

Any more for any more??

just to add to it a mate of mine has a refected backed one plus custom made numbers about two inches high 8-10 inches long and stuck to his bumper, and has never had a problem with it the past 3 years he's had it like that

an i cant see anywhere in that link tho about the size of the plate pre 2001 - sep - 1st

dunno on the legallity tho

dave

just to add to it a mate of mine has a refected backed one plus custom made numbers about two inches high 8-10 inches long and stuck to his bumper, and has never had a problem with it the past 3 years he's had it like that

an i cant see anywhere in that link tho about the size of the plate pre 2001 - sep - 1st

dunno on the legallity tho

dave

I read it is "at the frontest front", so I have a slightly narrow (vertically) plate held in horizontal runners welded to the front of the bumper (the runners stop the edge of the plate getting cracked). According to my reading, it is just too small (1988 model), but after two MOT passes at two garages, I guess its close enough. Ill get you a photo if it ever stops raining.

I think I once asked something like this quite awhile back.

I think the general consensus was that anywhere on the front face of the vehicle, as nearto upright as possible. i.e On the front rails of the roofrack, on the flappy bits, on the bumper, grill....whatever. As long as it not obstructed in any way, and the letters & numbers are of the legal font, size, colour & spacing, I think you should be OK.

When we had all the snow earlier this year, I ended up lending a helping hand to some Police who themselves had got a bit unstuck helping a lorry driver on a minor lane in Luton. The policemen were all over my vehicle paying it compliments, my number plate position never entered the conversation at any time (mine is mounted on the front raill of my roof rack) nor did the fact that I had a Hi-Lift jack mounted right across my front bumper :lol:

HTH

Martin