Ever get the question ''Why not get rid of that shed?

Keith Keir

I seem to get bombarded by this questions from my mates but its probaly because there not into landrovers. They allways go on about see if you kept the monney you 'wasted':o on that thing i would have had a nice car but i dont see it that way.

But heres a question for you say if someone comes up to you and offers to swap your land rover for something shinnier and better land rover wise looking would you swap ?

For some strange reason I would say no, since getting and having rebuilt it and would probaly not let it go. Its like part of a family now.

Do any of you feel the same way towards your land rovers or would you jump ship and replace it ?

i use to get it all the time an i could be like them and go the pub at the weekend and spend all my money instead i'd rather be in a garage fixing a landy,

an i would have said that if it was worth more an i could have i sell it buy a better landy then yes

BUT

now i have done so much on it its like a new landy anyway so NOOOOOOOOOO (unless it was a new 300tdi 110 on a galv chassis :) )

I seem to be collecting them

I bought an L reg RRC without an engine, purely for the tailgate which was new to go on my F reg.

Closer inspection showed the L reg to be in much better condition come MOT time, and I did have a spare engine in the garage.......

Common sense said to scrap the F reg and keep the L reg.

6 months down the line I am doing both of them up.

I went to move the F reg after it had been standing for 3 months, and it fired first turn of the key. I couldn't possibly repay that loyalty by scrapping it!

I last had an ex military 90 n/a deisel, and sooo many people said to me "why on earth do you drive that?" it had holes in the passenger footwell, it leaked, it was awful on the motorway and it had less creature comforts than a brick! but i'll always regret getting rid of it.

luckily i'll be picking up a lovely 300tdi soon, so i'll be back with a proper vehicle!

i think landrovers are bought by a certain kind of person, the type who still polishes his own shoes, or who knows how to fit new brake pads, and enjoys doing it, or the type who looks at a piece of alloy and thinks "i could make something out of that!"

most people judge a car by how shiny it is, how fast it goes or how much it cost, landy owners are different,

i think it was Sir Edmund Hilary who said: "those who need to ask, will never understand, but those who understand, will never need to ask"

seems appropriate to me!

Hmmm... It looks like I will be jumping ship soon... after 9 years of landrover ownership (110 then my current Disco) I think i'm going Toyota Landcruiser..

I need more room (expanding family) and a 'Yota fits the bill.

Guest noggy

At uni, my friends tease me about my heap of scrap all the time, accept when it snows or rains and we go playing...

my 90 is staying for me for the rest of my life. end of.

For some strange reason

Why is it a strange reason??

By far and away, my Land Rover is the best vehicle I have EVER owned, and I have owned quite a few, some of which were unbelievable sports cars.

I might consider swapping my Defender though.......for a very, very large pile of cash, so that I could go and buy another one.

I have never owned a vehicle that inspires me as much as my Defender. I once saw an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson asked "when was the last time you got in your car & just drove for the joy of driving?"

In my case, and I expect the majority of us, the answer would be very often! If I have nowt to do on my days off, I will just get in and drive somewhere. I have had many days where I have driven 300+ miles in a single day, and not really been anywhere for any purpose, other than that I am at my happiest when its just me and Larry. :wub:

I LOVE the feeling of sitting up high and being able to see over hedges & other vehicles, and if you spot an intersting looking track, you can safely go and explore places that would otherwise be inaccesible, or even go unnoticed, in any other vehicle.

Geez, now that I think about it, that pile of cash would have to be bloody enormous to make me want to get rid of my old boy!

Martin

I have to confess to having looked at buying something newer to replace my 304K mile old 1994 300Tdi 110 CSW. Bought at 2 years old with less than 20K on the clock and driven hard everywhere - up and down the UK (often with a fair sized trailer), lots of trips into Europe; down to the Med, up to northern Denmark, across to Berlin, Swiss Alps, Italy, hauling race cars to Spa, etc. We have racked up some miles together.

There was a two year period with a chipped Td5 110 CSW which was fun until I got fed up with exhaust manifold warping and finally a cracked turbo housing! The Td5 had to go and the trusty Tdi was back in service, eating the miles again. It gets by on routine servicing and being worked.

Much as a new Defender or newish RR appeals, I still enjoy driving the 300Tdi. A fortnight ago I had a run from the end of the Lleyn Peninsula, N Wales to just beyond Kilmarnock - a round trip of 771 miles. The drive up was 5 3/4 hours (including breaks), stay overnight, two business meetings and then back in the evening. That length of journey didn't cause any problems and I stepped out feeling pretty comfortable. Quite pleased with the 28mpg overall for a journey where I didn't hang around.

The down side is that the door frames are getting a bit scabby, particularly the rear door. But these are easy enough to unbolt and replace. The back axle is getting a litle noisy and would benefit from a diff rebuild/reset. Some sound deadening wouldn't go amiss, so I'm working on that.

The vehicle is worth more to me as a known quantity than I could sell for. It would have to be a serious offer to make me consider a change.

It's funny the different reactions you get from different people.

My neighbour, everytime he sees me working on the truck in the driveway says "Have you it nearly fixed yet?" despite it being my daily driver. He thinks he's hilarious. He does vaguely try to engage in conversation about it, but you can see he doesn't get it. He's much happier with his A4. Just not a car person I suppose.

By contrast, I've just dropped 4 band members home; first time they had seen the truck, and they just loved it, despite one of them asking me what make it was! Even a car-o-phobe loves a Land Rover. :lol:

The 110 has been variously used to move me to France, camp around the Alps, commute 150 miles a day, explore off road, pull down 60 foot trees, trim hedges and of course educate its owner on all things mechanical while emptying his wallet. Despite the money spent on tweaking things, fixing things or just servicing it, I don't resent a single penny I've put into it.

For the last few months while the truck was off the road, I've been driving a Cosworth Mercedes; by far the best drive I've had - a car that just wills you to floor it everywhere and clip every apex. I loved driving it. Now that the truck is back on the road, when I jump in it, I don't even look to see if the Cossie is still parked over in the car park. I do check the 110 is there every morning though.

The shed that is the 110 is part of my life and I will never part with it.

"Have you it nearly fixed yet?"

Ah you live next door to Yoda do you ;)

I get constant flack about my 110 because it looks a little err...used.

I do occasionally think about selling it and getting something else but its just too perfect for what I want a car to do. I don't flinch remotely about climbing all over it to use it as a movable scaffold. Its brilliant for transporting odd things, I just tie them to the rollcage. It'll pull anything I put behind it. It seats 4 with a space between the back seats thats perfect for a deerhound to stand (I did have 7 people in it last night for a very uncomfortable 2 mile offroad excursion) The terrier stands happily on the home made cubby box between the front seats. With a couple of bits of ply in the back we have a base for the airbed (that the T-max pump pumps up) for comfy camping for me and one of the boys. Theres a 240v supply for Lucys medical kit. Add to that 30mpg, cheap insurance and laughable service costs I can't think of any other car that would do.

Will :)

I think part of the "flack" is because Landys look best either in "showroom sparkle " finish or "heavy day at the quarry ©" with metallic hints. This is true of no other car in the world.

We wear our Farmer's Wings with pride!

I would only let mine go for a very nice series 1 ................................................................................

.......or a very big pile of cash ,im afraid everything has a price for me just a shame the missus is only worth about a pound

Definatly wouldn't let the bogey go.

i built it from a rot box to what it is now. even though most days we can all hate our landy's we could never part with them once you have put so much blood and sweat into them.

even tho i learnt the hard way but glad i did landy number 3 on the road (god knows how many doners i've had) maybe if i had kept the first one (90 td) all would be different

nahhhhhh was just an expesive learning curve :)

dave

I did replace the 90 with a RR for everyday use. (number of reasons)

But I still can't bring myself to sell the 90 as I like it so much. It did 20,000 miles in the first year and 500 so far this year...

Well I have this for when I am going somewhere with someone who wouldn't approve of the Defender, and for other occasions where the need arises:

focus2.jpg

Also very useful as a vehicle to use while the Defender is out of action for any non-disclosed reason :P

A wonderful car, and I love it to bits...but I do generally prefer driving the Defender as it's so much more fun! I don't intend to get rid of it either, I would rather see it sit unroadworth on the driveway for a year while I saved for a new chassis than it go to a scrapyard. It's my Land Rover, and that's a very important bond :)