200tdi versus 300tdi engine

300TDi had more teething problems than the 200. 300 suffers from cracked heads, high water pump makes things a bit hairy, plastic plug on the thermostat housing is bad design, dipstick tube fractures, engine layout is poor, some genuine parts are worse quality than after-market ones, belt tensioner is out of line/goes through bearings, alternators have a habit of siezing for some reason, fan idler bearing is murder to replace, oil seperator leaks, you can't remove the two rear head bolts while the head is on the engine, rockers are too fragile, P-gasket leaks (even after fitting a new one), rear crank seal leaks (even after fitting a new one), erm......................

Les :)

other than that its a good engine.... :P

i have got both the 200 and 300 in landrovers that i use weekly, both of them have been very good engines (touching wood..) id say the 300 is a quiter engine and seems to rev more freely. i do agree that the water pump is in a stupid place and yes the idler does appear to be at 45 degrees most of the time. the 200 is a more user friendly engine i think, easy access to most things. stick the multi v belt on the 200 and ud have a pretty good engine id say. now idea if it can be done though.

The 300 is undoubtedly a better engine.

The 200 is basically a DI version of the old TurboD, with an alloy head and some other improvements. It had to be made on the same tooling as the TD to keep the costs down, so the block, crank etc is all the same as the older engine.

The 300 has a redesigned block, crank, rods, pistons, and is generally a refinement of many of the original problems the 200tdi had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_en..._16L_and_23L.29

That lists some of the changes between the two.

Just because many people have 200tdi's and they're "still going" doesnt mean its a better engine?

Lots of people are driving round with Ford Valencia engines in their fiestas and ka's... They were **** back in the 60's when it was first developed as the kent engine, and its still **** now in its latest incarnation.

The 300TDi was DESIGNED to improve upon the 200TDi, thats its whole purpose of existing. Its a newer more refined engine, and as the cost between them is negligable you'd be mad to pick the older engine.

Also spares for the 300 are generally cheaper, presumably because they're more common, and the commonality between the disco and defender motors makes it easier to find bits.

Just because many people have 200tdi's and they're "still going" doesnt mean its a better engine?

Lots of people are driving round with Ford Valencia engines in their fiestas and ka's... They were **** back in the 60's when it was first developed as the kent engine, and its still **** now in its latest incarnation.

The 300TDi was DESIGNED to improve upon the 200TDi, thats its whole purpose of existing. Its a newer more refined engine, and as the cost between them is negligable you'd be mad to pick the older engine.

Also spares for the 300 are generally cheaper, presumably because they're more common, and the commonality between the disco and defender motors makes it easier to find bits.

hmmm :ph34r:

not quite the right comparison...a 200 always was good and still is now, the 300 is a good engine but its alot easier to fit the 200 into other landrovers due to the engine mounts. it just depends what vechicle the engine is for etc, im going to go with the 200. just personal preferance.

300TDi had more teething problems than the 200. 300 suffers from cracked heads, high water pump makes things a bit hairy, plastic plug on the thermostat housing is bad design, dipstick tube fractures, engine layout is poor, some genuine parts are worse quality than after-market ones, belt tensioner is out of line/goes through bearings, alternators have a habit of siezing for some reason, fan idler bearing is murder to replace, oil seperator leaks, you can't remove the two rear head bolts while the head is on the engine, rockers are too fragile, P-gasket leaks (even after fitting a new one), rear crank seal leaks (even after fitting a new one), erm......................

Les :)

I have to say i think u either need to get a good mechanic or learn some skills mate, i've owned a 300tdi for best part of 10years, done about 100,000 miles in it, seriously abuse it offroad (run two hydrualic winches fom it) and never had half the problems u had.

I could list several easy cures to half the problems u've listed but it sounds like u wouldn't listen anyway!!

Al li can say is, either one which ever comes up at right price and fits the best. Wouldn't mind recommending a 300tdi to anyone mines been sounds, yeah had problems but nothing that can't be easily sorted!

Mike

I have to say i think u either need to get a good mechanic or learn some skills mate, i've owned a 300tdi for best part of 10years, done about 100,000 miles in it, seriously abuse it offroad (run two hydrualic winches fom it) and never had half the problems u had.

I could list several easy cures to half the problems u've listed but it sounds like u wouldn't listen anyway!!

Al li can say is, either one which ever comes up at right price and fits the best. Wouldn't mind recommending a 300tdi to anyone mines been sounds, yeah had problems but nothing that can't be easily sorted!

Mike

Mike,

Les fixes land rovers/cars for a living and all of the above are examples he has come across.

Cheers

Gl

Mike, you've missed the point I'm afraid!

If you have a read around, you'll find Les works on more vehicles than most people, so he's obviously going to have seen a wider number of faults, that's the reason he's got such a nice long list of faults.

As for les' skills, the tech archive is the best judge of that I'd say, might be worth having a read?.... :rolleyes:

I have to say i think you either need to get a good mechanic or learn some skills mate, I've owned a 300tdi for best part of 10years, done about 100,000 miles in it, seriously abuse it offroad (run two hydraulic winches from it) and never had half the problems you've had.

I could list several easy cures to half the problems you've listed but it sounds like u wouldn't listen anyway!!

All I can say is, either one which ever comes up at right price and fits the best. Wouldn't mind recommending a 300tdi to anyone mine has been sound, yes I have had problems but nothing that can't be easily sorted!

Mike

You certainly know how to introduce yourself.

maybe have a look in the Tech archive, DOH!

Mike

DOH is the word.........

This really had me laughing!!!!!

having owned a 200 tdi disco, and currently running a 300 tdi disco, i am much more inclined to say that the 300 is definately more refined/quieter than the 200 was - if that's down to soundproofing then fairy snuff.

my old one had done 220k when i sold it, and my 300 has got 162k on the clock and still returns 40+mpg on a run.

having used it twice so far for towing, once light duty, and yesterday for pulling a 1 ton mini digger and about a ton and a half of dirt on a 16ft ifor williams twin axle trailer (must have been close to the 3.5 ton limit) it definately pulls better than both the 200 and the v8 ever did.

to be fair, everyone is going to have their personal favourite, and there are bound to be a few out there that never have any faults, law of averages states that.

IMHO i would say that the 200 is better suited to the defender than the disco, and likewise, the 300 is better suited to the disco.

I never actually flamed the 300TDi engine, Mr Bluddy Murphy :rtfm:

It is in the main, an easier engine to work on and repair. It is smoother, more refined ( for you girly Defender/ Disco owners/ soft southern shandy drinkers :D ) If there's any kind of dividing line between the two - I would say you have to take more care repairing a 300Tdi engine. The 200 takes more abuse/neglect than the 300, and the 300 needs more care to keep it in good working order. You could never say which is better - they are both in the main, very good engines. The reason I have a 300TDi is only because I was offered it for £50 - I would have been just as happy with a 200TDi.

Mike has a right to his opinions - if he can teach me anything, then that's good - I've never professed to be any kind of expert. I'd just like to point out that I've never fitted either a crank seal or P-gasket that has subsequently leaked, and have never had a complaint about my work - in more than 17-years, so perhaps that in itself is enough? Anyway - Mike is now on Mod approval - not by me, but because of the general content of his total of 3-posts.

Les.