CB, Ham & Communications etc

BogMonster

Ok cool thanks for that! looks like I'll have to get some uk spec ones...

Mike

try the pmr446 radios thay run at 500mw but can work up to 2 mile in open space the motorcycle driving schools use them around here bike to bike i have a pair of motorola xtn446 work ok and you can buy various headsets etc chris

Of the PMRs the XTNs are among the best.

I have an XTN446 which has a max power of 0.5W and also a Motorola GP68. That's a 430-470mhz radio which I use on the PMR frequencies; they have a much better transmit power than the 0.5W allowed by PMR446, I think it can hit 5W on high and 1W on low.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...ormation/ofw57/

UK PMR frequency list

462.56-462.72Mhz.

462.56 -- Security Company use

462.72 -- Scottish Hydro radio frequency

So not recommended use your intend use, maybe possible to have the frequency range adjusted into the 449.00 UK General frequency band, which will require a licence that cost £70 per 3 years.

hth :D

I've never experinced any interference issues using US spec GPRS/FRS radio's in the UK. Using them in France when skiing earlier this year it was interesting to note the the number of people using the US frequencies, with a quite a range of different languages/accents.

the likelyness of gettin caught is so slim, just use them! turn them off if you hear the coppers!

and use codenames lol

Yeah, and this thread will be a fantastic bit of evidence to show intent and full knowledge that what you were doing is illegal.

Show some responsibility people...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about this being off topic, but I am a bit of a dunce and am sure there is some wise sages on here who have the answer.

For work we use Kenwood VHS radios for comms. These are charged in cradles that use adapters to drop the mains voltage down.

The adapter takes 230V and drops that down to 14.5V, 800mA.

This then goes into the cradle that takes it further down to 9.4V, 850mA.

My qusetion is, is it possible to connect a 12V supply to the cradle so that I can charge the radio in my truck on the move?

If it is possible, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks in advance,,

Paul

Is the 14.5V AC or DC? If it is DC I would think you would be OK to connect it straight to the vehicle as the alternator will put out about 14.2 to 14.4 so worst case might be that the thing won't charge quite so well. If it is AC (and the rectification is only at the second stage) then that won't work and as Tony said an inverter is the easiest idea.

If its a DC supply into the cradle (from the mains adaptor) then it should be ok to connect to the vehicle electrics - just get the necessary connectors and make sure YOU PUT A FUSE IN THE SUPPLY. Using an inverter if the cradles take DC is just adding complexity / wasting power.

If its AC then the inverter route is the option.

Thanks for the information guys. Kenwood have been very helpful and printed the electrical info on the cradle, which was nice of them.

The input into the cradle is DC and the polarity of the plug is marked on the socket of the cradle. So, it's off to Maplins after work tommorrow with a wee shopping list.

Thanks again,

Paul

Maplins etc sell incar laptop power supplies on which you can vary the voltage 12-20v. A lot more expensive but far more reliable in terms of voltage than a fag lighter converter.

Depends on how expensive your radios are.

That's rather overkill - the thing takes a (probably very poorly) regulated input from the wall adapter (probably 15v with no load on it) and regulates it down properly internally to charge the battery. All you need is a cig lighter plug & some wire with the correct tip on the end, in fact for the £3 this adapter kit costs it's hardly worth making one.