Just spotted this out shopping

Looks like a pretty standard late-90s RangeRover / Series 2 hybrid - now known as a "ringer" in most circles. Looks well though, shame about the silly lift.

That's a little harsh John. It looks like a well finished truck.

While the H reg would suggest it may be illegally tax exempt, I would not use the term 'ringer' as in my world that implies it's stolen.

That's a little harsh John. It looks like a well finished truck.

While the H reg would suggest it may be illegally tax exempt, I would not use the term 'ringer' as in my world that implies it's stolen.

A bit harsh perhaps but the term "ringer" applies to something pretending to be something else, not necessarily stolen I thought. Depending when it was done it might all be legal though, if it's a RRC chassis and axles it could carry the V5 for the donor car for example. Nowadays the modification to the rear of the chassis makes that difficult if not impossible doesn't it?

If I bought a Fiesta, then bought another, then put the plates and chassis no from the first one onto the second to pass it off as older / younger / more likely to get an MOT, it'd be a ringer, no theft required.

Depending when it was done it might all be legal though, if it's a RRC chassis and axles it could carry the V5 for the donor car

Except for the small matter of a foot missing from the middle of the chassis too. unsure.gif It'd go through IVA as a radically altered vehicle, and end up with a Q-plate or an age-related plate, and it's "ahem" quite unlikely that age would be H-reg.

Still, despite the legality I can definitely see the appeal in an 88" coiler, especially a bronze-green sleeper like that.

unless of course it was loving crafted on a designa chassis a decade or so ago when all those sort of things were 'acceptable' by most of the land rover fraternity, unlike now where if you have a 'hybrid ' you seem to be the pariah and be accused of driving a ringer or worse a stolen truck or parts thereof

unless of course it was loving crafted on a designa chassis a decade or so ago when all those sort of things were 'acceptable' by most of the land rover fraternity, unlike now where if you have a 'hybrid ' you seem to be the pariah and be accused of driving a ringer or worse a stolen truck or parts thereof

Well said, reading this thread reminds me why I rarely post here

Lee

Lee

well said,until the advent of sva there were many legally built hybrids,not neccesarily tax exempt,but of course the arm chair experts jump on the "ringer" bandwagon,they seem to forget some of us have been around landrovers for 20+years.

Lee

I personally feel these qoutes aren't quite right: first of, calling a ringer from just seeing a picture is giving an opinion without knowing what is going on.

Also, being called a pariah for driving a molested landy hasnt happened to me just yet, but It could be that I am arogant enough to ignore it :rolleyes:.

Then saying that this forum is full of these people I simply dont think is true. You only need to take one look at the members vehicles section where it appears that the more molesting the better, some dont even using landrovers in the first place. I agree some members do like to hit it with the sva brush, without neccesarily knowing whether it needs it or whether the car is being used on the road. One good thing about this forum is that if you do need one, there are people on here that actually have done this and can help out.

Daan

I drive a hybrid that i built myself in the last two years. Without the help of the forum members on here it would still be a pile of bits in my garage. I have never felt like a pariah nor is there any stolen bits on my truck. Its fully VIC and IVA checked and i would be extremely peed off if someone said otherwise. The truck in the picture could also be someones pride and joy so steady on fellas. People often make judgement without knowing the full facts.

I drive a hybrid that i built myself in the last two years. Without the help of the forum members on here it would still be a pile of bits in my garage. I have never felt like a pariah nor is there any stolen bits on my truck. Its fully VIC and IVA checked and i would be extremely peed off if someone said otherwise. The truck in the picture could also be someones pride and joy so steady on fellas. People often make judgement without knowing the full facts.

Good for you

There are plenty of people less well informed about though and if just one reads this thread and properly registers their LR so their insurance isn't invalid then thats a good thing. Theres no difference between a chav in a knackered M5 with no insurance and a tax-dodge hybrid when it comes to an accident.

Will :)

well said,until the advent of sva there were many legally built hybrids,not neccesarily tax exempt,but of course the arm chair experts jump on the "ringer" bandwagon,they seem to forget some of us have been around landrovers for 20+years.

Spot on :)

Some of us have owned, driven and worked on Land Rovers for a lot longer than 20+ years too

A while ago I purchased a 300tdi engine from someone who is appearing to be whiter than white commenting on here. when I got it home the engine numbers had been ground off, I sold it on but made this point clear to the person who bought it off me...............

when somebody gets on their high horse ringer/stolen/tax dodge etc, I usually think to myself people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.