Filling Gearboxes

stuck

I use a pump-up type of garden sprayer with a bit of hose (actually I think its electrical sleeving) on the end of the lance just to get it through the filler hole and allow me to rest the lance itself while it does the job.

Pump it up then control the thing with the valve on the lance (which locks on)

I use one of the oil safe pumps as supplied by difflock.

Don't seem cheap till you start looking at the other equivelents.

I have had mine several years now and pumped a fair bit of oil all working flawlessly, even a little valve in the end of the nozzle to minimise drips.

I use a pump-up type of garden sprayer with a bit of hose (actually I think its electrical sleeving) on the end of the lance just to get it through the filler hole and allow me to rest the lance itself while it does the job.

I use the same thing - but mine came with an aluminium extension (just a plain tube about 1/4" bore) which is hooked over at the end (I thinks is for watering hanging baskets). The hose is lone enough to have the (plenty large enough) tank alongside the car and I just hook it in, lie there all comfortable like, latch the valve open and wait. Quite relaxing really.

And between uses the whole thing just sits in a corner waiting for checking/topup duty, still with a litre of so of ATF in it :)

I also usd a pump sprayer.

I removed the lance and used the pipe on it's own with a 1/4" gas valve and a bit of copper pipe as a spout.

Pump up to pressure and then hang the spout in the gearbox filler hole and open the gas tap. Close tap when full.

I've got a draper syringe, think its got half a litre capacity, similar to this one

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Oil-Syringe-with-200mm-Suction-Tube-Sealey-AK46

Yep, I've got one of these too and its a fab piece of kit.

Helped me change the oil in my LT77 in the TVR and the diff as well.

No problem with drips. It makes the whole thing so much cleaner, and god knows it needs to because the ATF stuff stinks.

I use:

Einhell Petrol and Oil Suction Pump (Argos # 715/2638). Just attach an airline to the 'inlet' rather than the suction pump that comes with it, a couple of psi & the oil flows in. Suction pump is very useful for sucking up 'spills'

• 2 weeks later...

i have an old water fire extisher with a tyre valve in it, fill it with the oil i need pump it up pull the triger oil in if not a bit fast

Get a newer fire extinguisher with the schraeder valve already on. :) superb for filling RR auto boxes whilst running through gears to fill valves as per the book. wreck the anti dribble rubber valve with a flat screwdriver then attach a length of flexi tubing from the homebrew shop pushed over the squirty end. Pressurise just into the green-point and shoot.

I'm not doing my boxes any other way now, I have a draper/laser 500ml syringe pump, which I shall keep for topping up axles but not refills, as these leak down your arm and all over the drive.

Garden sprayer for me. Just don't forget you have latched the switch open and get distracted by other things......:unsure:

Not for oil dispensing but could be applied in the same way.

The pressure release valve moulding on a Cuprinol pump up fence sprayer is the perfect size to accept a 1/4" bsp male pcl screwed in to it once the release valve has been removed.

The container has the max pressure rating on it, so to spray a fence I just turn the compressor air reg down to below the rated max and connect up air line.

Then I have unlimited spraying capability, no manually pumping it up every 10 seconds :D

The same principal could be used to air pump the oil.

I too use a garden sprayer, rather slow.... but works. One day I will make a faster one with a tyre valve, pressure bottle and a pickup tube, and connect it to my compressor, pretty simple I guess :)

not having a LR you see. :)

There's one for sale on here you may know a bit about? http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70018 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been racking my brains for something to solve this problem. I have used those pumps sold by diffloc in the past in my job as a maintenance engineer. We used one in the bakery for topping up conveyor gearbox drives etc and I can confirm that they are excellent. I will not spend 80 odd quid on something I'll only use once in a while.

The other day i was getting cleared up after installing a mold tool in the press at work (still a maintenance engineer!) when it struck me that the pump I was using to squirt swarfega into my hands with does the very same thing! If it pumps swarfega it should cope fine with oil and it comes with its own 4 litre container.

I got one from Arco the other night for £11.99. It was on sale though, I think they are usually about £15 or so. I decanted the swarfega into a couple of plastic bottles rescued from my own recycling bin and washed the container and pump head out under the tap.

I've tested it in the kitchen and can pump 4l of water out in about 3 mins and thats not going mad with it, just pumping with full strokes at a steady pace. No leaks with water and if it manages with thick, gloopy swarfega it should be fine with most grades of oil I reckon. I've still to "rig" it up with a small length of hose and a small piece of bent pipe to hang in the filler hole but I think it'll work fine and the bonus is I've still got loads of nice orange smelling stuff to get my paw's clean after working on the old girl.