The Grave yard

Bos

Note also how the legislation has far less impact on the Spanish, French, Italian auto industry than the UK (Land Rover, Jaguar) and German (Merc, BMW) counterparts who tend to produce less 'city' cars which pushes up their average CO2/car figures.

Of course they could just stop new car manufacture and encourage better maintenance and reuse of what we have (Land Rovers for example :D ), that would certainly reduce the carbon emissions.

08230061-copy-copy-copy.jpg

I had a crane on my old IIA with it's Fairy 5000 mechanical winch.

A frame bolted to winch frame, extensions added with a wheel at the top.

Strap from jib passes through a frame which pushes against the back of the seat bulkhead

and down to the tow hitch.

Came in useful on many occasions, picture is of fitting railings to a high veranda area.

See you lot have snow again this morning . watching sky this evening i see the usaul caos on the roads caused by it

Stil amazes me the way snow does this in a country that has had snow for the past 2000 years :)

And then at times like this they want people with 4x4s to help but the rest of the year you are related to the devil and should be cursed at every point :):ph34r::D

Just got back from the station and gave it up as a bad job. Trains are suffering severe delays due to snow ;) . So I'll have to work from home today :rolleyes: . It was great fun though driving past all the cars pootling along at 10Mph :D

Ivan

Guest diesel_jim
And then at times like this they want people with 4x4s to help but the rest of the year you are related to the devil and should be cursed at every point :):ph34r::D

I absolutely can't wait for the council to ask for 4x4 assistance, or for that stupid blonde bimbo on GMTV to come out with some inane stupid comment about 4x4's, i'll get right on the email/text etc and let them know how we feel about it!

Quickest journey in I've had all year! (40 miles)

Like a good hardworking person I got up early and went in.

All the lazy slackers in the teaching proffession cannot get in and the schools are shut so there are loads fewer cars on the road.

The guy I passed this morning with the CRV (yeh I know) stuck in the hedge won't be helping anyone.

Not enough snow here this morning to make a 4x4 worth while, but enoug for some handbrake fun in the 106 :D

LAND ROVER'S EXPERIENCE GETS PEOPLE HOME

Gaydon, Warwickshire, 7 February 2007 - Land Rover is on standby to offer the services of up to 100 vehicles and their off-road experts, following extreme weather warnings for central and north-west areas of the UK.

As in previous years, all 10 Land Rover Experience centres in the UK will be available tomorrow to assist the local emergency services - including highway patrols, fire services and local police forces - helping people get home safely. They will also help to recover vehicles broken down in the bad weather and vehicles involved in road traffic accidents.

John Edwards, Land Rover UK managing director commented: "Year after year Land Rover has assisted local authorities in severe weather and emergency situations. With such an extreme forecast for the next few days, we've assured them that our vehicles will once again be available should they need them."

Land Rover UK has also this afternoon dispatched a fleet of vehicles from their head office in Warwickshire, to support police forces in the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire and West Mercia areas.

Land Rovers have a towing capability of up to 3.5 tonnes, permanent four-wheel drive and advanced off-road technology such as Terrain ResponseT. This includes a snow setting to utilise the vehicle's electronic controls and traction aids in slippery and treacherous conditions.

Land Rover Experience Centres offer a variety of courses and training to teach safe and responsible off-road driving skills. To find out more please visit www.landroverexperience.com

ends

Mike and Paul, Nice pics - thats the idea.

Any idea how much of the pull of this set up goes through the supports over the roof - for instance using a tow strap connected to a Halfords roofbar - at what point do you reckon the roof will tear ? Is it dependant on the length of the ladder / A-frame ?

As a guess I reckon it would be the same as the weight lifted, in relationship to the angle of the winch ladder. Time to get the lego out again.

Might need a mathematical answer from Simon on this one - as hurts my memory cells trying to work it ou.

BTW my freespool has been disabled already. As discussed here : http://www.innovation-engineering.co.uk/theory.htm

About 3 inches on the bonnet of the truck this morning. Roads in my village were hard packed snow but the main roads were clear. Still a few odd flakes falling here in central Swindon.

Last day at work today as I am closing down my office tonight then we are off the Pyrenees for a week.

When I get back I will be starting a new job where they don't yet have fast 'net access :( so I will probably disappear of this forum again for a while. I really must get round to installing Broadband at home :rolleyes:

3 inches or so of snow on the bonnet.....

Main roads all crammed as lorries stuck on hills and no-one passing....

Headed in the 30 miles on the country lanes this morning.... Pulled one Merc Estate out of a slight ditch, helped one Z4 up a 1 in 50 incline and told him to ditch it and walk....

Seems we are useful in certain circumstances but it won't be long before the good Samaritans are forgotten once more to be re-labeled as planet killers....

I've not seen Mrs. Freak so excited for a while... The prospect of a few inches last night made her eyes twinkle...

When will the Enviro pillocks learn that whatever we [uK/Europe] do to reduce CO2 that the Chinese coal fired power stations will just produce so much it won't make any bl**dy difference what so ever.

and that the carbon produced by cars on the road is only a fraction of that used in their total lifecycle...... :rolleyes:

Drove to work at 6am as normal from Southampton to Uxbridge as normal 1" of snow

In Winchester jsut past the A34 junction heading north on the M3 I got the Wa88er sign for overtaking someone that insisted on sitting in the outside lane on a empty road.

farly slow up the M3 then the M25 was flowing nicly as was the M4 then off the M4 few of the roads had been gritted and were grate fun in the Disco.

got to site at 7.30am and watch a chap in a Golf doing handbrake turns in the University car park but if I was court doing donuts in my Dicso as a Contractor I could get into a ot of trouble so I parked up on site and opened up as normal.

the useal snow ball fights followed in the 2-3"of snow onsite