offroad MPG

I have a project on the go that is a tad remote, like an hours round trip over bridleways/open moorland/river crossings etc :D

Somehow I need to justify the costs of using the 110 for this. I'm guessing the AA recommended 40p per mile is a bit off :glare:

The Land Rover is a 200tdi, so if I was to say at 50mph it did 25mpg it would use 2 gallons an hour. So if I am doing an offroad trip that is an hours return journey that is 2 gallons of fuel.

I still use 40p/mile for charging my clients so if you were to go back to the 50mph thing you'd be looking at £20/hour

Do we reckon that is fair or am I way off and should be thinking about factoring in a new set of superpro bushes and a complete change of fluids over the project?

Will :)

you charge people to take them on public rights of way????

No. What gave you that impression?

I am working on a project that is 1/2 hours drive offroad from the nearest tarmac and need to factor in costs and have some justification in place for audit purposes.

What does it work out at if you use the low ratio x gear x the 45p?

ie. very rough but in low box half speed per rev then double the consumption?

This could still work for high box as you are going to be in a lower gear than you would on road?

Marc.

Diesel defenders are very frugal off-road, if your on lanes and semi made tracks your probably not going to exceed 30mph and I suspect a fair bit will be in high box anyway. I think you would be safe assuming 20mpg. Though like James, I don't notice much difference road to offroad. I just spent the whole weekend at a festival moving bands about and recovering VW campers, probably burnt 15-20 quid's worth of diesel and the truck was running for 50% of the day at least, but it was all very low speed and revs most of the time.

But you do want to factor in a higher cost as obviously there is a lot more wear and tear on the truck, especially tires. Don't forget the 20quid to pay the local farmer to pull you out when the inevitable happens too! :)

Is there not a running time/fuel consumption chart in the book like there is in the Series green bible for when the vehicle is used off-road or as a static engine? Don't have it to hand but it could be a good reference point.

When it comes to billing the client, fuel economy has nothing to do with it. You can harge up to 45p/mile as stated above. Anything less then gets offset later on tax return. Your shocks/bushes/oil etc can be billed to your company if it is a company car. They should not form part of the charge to the client.

Thinking about it not sure you can combine the 45p/mile and repair costs as 1 relates to private car and the other to company car. You have to work out which system is better for you in the long term

Cheers for your input folks. I've cracked it now thanks to a mate who is in the know. Its not as straightforward as applying a mileage rate but it means I have a means of quantifying the cost of operating the 110 for the purpose in hand.

• 2 weeks later...