New sub forum for custom builds

dirtydiesel

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does lr4x4 need a new sub forum for custom builds

• Yes
    • No

Following on from soren's thread.

I strongly believe there would be a significant technical benifit to the membership to have a sub forum dedicated to some of the more radical builds our members are undertaking.

I believe this should be totally seperate from members vehicles, a better home would be within competeing in landrovers or tools and fabrications

This subforum needs to be strongly moderated to prevent the IVA police's involvment.

Any and all modification topics should be allowed and encouraged with an emphasis on the tech and banter associated with "men in sheds doing daft things"

It may allready be too late for this subforum to reinstate some of our technical heritage, but it's worth a shot surely?

I'd be more than happy to donate my time to moderate the subforum if needed.

Not a daft idea, could be a sub-forum of the tools'n'fab one... I'd love to see you wearing a moderator's hat too!

Good call on banning mentions of IVA/SVA in it too :rtfm: reckon there should be a forum-wide restriction anyway... just put a sticky post at the top with a link to VOSA's website and call it done.

Not a daft idea, could be a sub-forum of the tools'n'fab one... I'd love to see you wearing a moderator's hat too!

Good call on banning mentions of IVA/SVA in it too :rtfm: reckon there should be a forum-wide restriction anyway... just put a sticky post at the top with a link to VOSA's website and call it done.

Works for me...

Voted yes, think this could be a great idea, thinking about the "Jeep - Hardcore Tech" thread at pirate4x4, a place were you can show off your skills at modifying and fabricating, though with room for all levels of these, as it has become on pirate. And maybe some sort of Proclaimer could be stick'ed to the very top, with regards like "Some of the shown modifications here are not recommended for road going vehichles" Or whatever. English is not my native language so I'm sure someone could think of something much better ;)

Love the idea but would be happier if the comments could be approved by OP before being seen, kind of rules out the legal eagle rubbish and allows a build thread to be a build thread not just a turn up read a little and post rubbish on someone elses work.

Lets see it happen!!!

Love the idea but would be happier if the comments could be approved by OP before being seen, kind of rules out the legal eagle rubbish and allows a build thread to be a build thread not just a turn up read a little and post rubbish on someone elses work.

Lets see it happen!!!

I disagree, as in some cases it might also rule out constructive criticism (depends on how sensitive the OP was i guess).

Other than that, i think it si a good idea if, as Soren says, there is a disclaimer that because the mods may not be for road going vehicles, there s no need for the IVA/SVA stuff.

I have voted "Yes" but have one question - when does a build become "radical" enough to move from members' vehicles to this new sub forum? (which should undoubtedly be a sub forum of tools and fab)

Some members may think a 2" lift and a winch bumper is majorly radical whereas others may not.....?

Does a build start in members and then gets moved by DD or ANO moderator? How do we see that working?

OK, so that was more than one question, but hopefully you get my point? ;)

how about non "standard parts" builds? ie putting on of after market parts doesnt count and if someone were to say make a custom winch bumper to bolt on then the bumper should go in the fabrication section but the car should go into the members vehicles? So land rover's with non LR parts should go in the sub section, say portal axle conversions and my lexus engine conversion :)

Obviously moderators would need to monitor it whatever the decision...

Jad

I have voted "Yes" but have one question - when does a build become "radical" enough to move from members' vehicles to this new sub forum? (which should undoubtedly be a sub forum of tools and fab)

Some members may think a 2" lift and a winch bumper is majorly radical whereas others may not.....?

Does a build start in members and then gets moved by DD or ANO moderator? How do we see that working?

OK, so that was more than one question, but hopefully you get my point? ;)

I don't think there is a hard and fast answer to your first question,

But to my mind the line of distiction is something like when a modification becomes irreversable, or involves lots of cutting, welding, machining and most importantly free thinking.

I see memebers posting there own threads in the sub forum, i don't think it should be limited to full builds either.

I think the focus should be along the lines of radical alterations and their relative discussions only.

An example;

Someone buying and fitting a north off road tray back kit has a home in the members vehicles forum.

Where as someone building their own, has the custom builds as somewhere to propogate ideas about design, material selection, type of tube bender etc, etc, etc. and i would hope that no one would bat an eyelid when builder no2 cuts the back off his chassis :D