ibex 300 build

Both engines are well used and tired so a rebuild would fix the issues. Yes I like the 200tdi but they are old. I've not seen an engine that is comparable power etc that makes 30mpg+. Also the cost of converting to a second hand unknown engine is about the same or more than rebuilding and refitting the engine that's already in there.

Mike

• Like 1

Definitely the head gasket blown between pot 3 and 3rd water way.

IMG_20230416_162539.thumb.jpg.095c10751c6e86af4e2a758d009a3562.jpg

New head gasket on its way so hopefully I can get it back together one evening this week. I probably should change the front crank oil seal while I've got it in bits to.

Mike

• Like 2

Mike do you have a straight edge or second head you can put on? I had intermittent water loss issues on my 300, nothing drastically major and could have been a pipe etc. No issues on the head gasket when I took it off but put a different head onto it and touch wood haven't had an issue since.

Your propensity for blowing head gaskets makes me think there must be an underlying cause.

This is a different head to previous, as the last one blew on the way to Scotland. Then unbeknownst to me had cracked in the exhaust port but I thought it was the hg so I had it skimmed, refitted it then swapped it for current. So in my defence technicaly the hg blew last year after some fun I changed the head and now it's blown this year, like I said this engine is tired, I'm not renowned for hanging about, it does do 50 mile a day (which is more than some on here manage in a year :hysterical:) and it spends quite a bit of time on tickover winching none of this is good for longevity. I do have another head coming at some point but that's destined for the rebuild 200tdi. I haven't put a straight edge over it yet but there's no obvious issue.

Mike

You're not doing something silly like torquing from memory because you've done it so often and actually cocked up the torque settings.

Since its all apart I'd be checking the block and head for flatness at the very minimum. Duck oil is also good for finding tiny cracks that you can't see. 

If its any consolation Mike I think the JCB has just done it's head gasket. Just be thankful you don't have two 40mm steel plates either side of the engine blocking access... Not sure my engine crane is tall enough to get that out so it's going to be a call to a neighbour to see if we can lift the loader arms out the way to make things easier.

Head and block look flat as best I can tell with a light and straight edge. I torque as per book every time as I can never remember it. :wacko: The head does have a couple of cracks between valves and by injectors (common on 200's of this age) but all within the combustion chamber. There is often pitting in the head in way of the water ways but this head doesn't even have that.

I'll put it back together and look to getting the other block sorted sooner rather than later.

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

If its any consolation Mike I think the JCB has just done it's head gasket. Just be thankful you don't have two 40mm steel plates either side of the engine blocking access... Not sure my engine crane is tall enough to get that out so it's going to be a call to a neighbour to see if we can lift the loader arms out the way to make things easier.

Time for a JCB to maintain the JCB? :ph34r: 

Are you trying an MLS gasket?  I think they are better than composite, but there seems to be quite some debate on it.  

If you do try MLS,  then double check the oilway is in the right place. It was specifically brought up in a BritRest video, where he says the hole is in the right place for a 300 but not a 200, even though the gasket is supposedly correct for both types.  I have one on my 200 and didn’t get a dry rocker space, but I can’t be 100% certain over the gasket being correct as I only heard of this recently.

I don't think 300 heads are any better but you can still get them. 200 heads are prone to cracking between injectors and glow plugs but this isn't a problem anyway. Cracking between valves is rarer they will run like it fine for years.

Mike

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Are you trying an MLS gasket?  I think they are better than composite, but there seems to be quite some debate on it.  

If you do try MLS,  then double check the oilway is in the right place. It was specifically brought up in a BritRest video, where he says the hole is in the right place for a 300 but not a 200, even though the gasket is supposedly correct for both types.  I have one on my 200 and didn’t get a dry rocker space, but I can’t be 100% certain over the gasket being correct as I only heard of this recently.

I couldn't get MLS gaskets to seal properly on my 300TDi back in the day... composite worked fine.

13 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Time for a JCB to maintain the JCB? :ph34r: 

Alas despite having a lot of space two JCB's are just excessive for me when between the neighbours within 2 miles there's four tele handlers, at least four loader tractors, 2 more backhoes, a 24t, 21t, 2x13t, 5t, 2.7t and 1.8t Komatsu 360s.

3 hours ago, steve b said:

...a HIAB would also do the job:popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic:ph34r:

Steve

Got one in the back garden for the 6x6 <_<. Unfortunately to put said HIAB onto the 6x6 (even if it was finished) would necessitate the JCB. Chicken and egg scenario.

I've got some big box section so may just buy a UC beam and make a gantry crane. Will always be helpful.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ed Poore said:

Alas despite having a lot of space two JCB's are just excessive for me when between the neighbours within 2 miles there's four tele handlers, at least four loader tractors, 2 more backhoes, a 24t, 21t, 2x13t, 5t, 2.7t and 1.8t Komatsu 360s.

Got one in the back garden for the 6x6 <_<. Unfortunately to put said HIAB onto the 6x6 (even if it was finished) would necessitate the JCB. Chicken and egg scenario.

I've got some big box section so may just buy a UC beam and make a gantry crane. Will always be helpful.

One up on you @Ed Poore I have a gantry crane and a huuuuuuuge engine hoist............

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

--SNIP--

Sounds like a feeble excuse to me, what if they all happen to be using their toys machines?

You should get yourself a 24t Komatsu for just those times when an engine crane won't do ;) 

1 minute ago, CwazyWabbit said:

You should get yourself a 24t Komatsu for just those times when an engine crane won't do ;) 

You'd be amazed at how little they can actually lift officially. I think it'll hold about 2t max in the bucket at full reach and it'll be lifting it's arse up with that. Admittedly the bucket weighs something similar.  When you consider my JCB will lift 2t to 14ft and is only 5.5t (without buckets).

To be fair there's always one or two machines at Ben's yard, I've tried to get him to leave one with me instead of the yard but it hasn't happened yet. <_<

• Like 1