90 / defender bonnets

Ah ha !

Ok

Mine is 1985...ali skin on top and a stick on H sort of strengthening gunbind underneath...

This H Frame could be removed...czn some kind person describe the Td5 underneath and how fixed...

Having done some serious googling and Australian american forums trawling I have a plan to msybd have 5" x 24 louvres punched into rear centre ish section. Wjll need to strip / repaing bonnet so deciding mine or td5.....

Nige

The td5 frame is riveted along the outer fold of the bonnet skin - front, sides and along the back. Mine also appears to have a token gesture of sikaflex/tiger seal around the centre brace.

Front:

53523805-B7DE-432D-8922-6F93CA5EB2E4_zps

Side:

B3A084A6-FD59-4B94-8CF2-3C6C186953A5_zps

Rear and token sealant:

8688ADA2-ED38-449B-9F67-D18267382785_zps

I wouldn't like to stand on it!

I wouldn't want to stand on a Td5 bonnet without the addition of some "machismo extreme 4x4 off road expedition challenge" chequer plate ;) As for standing on Puma bonnets there's some real pretty chequer plate pressings available that cover the whole of the bonnet which are really, really nice ...no really ever-so nice :hysterical:

Nige, I've removed the skin from the frame of pre Td5 bonnets in the past which makes working the skin itself easy peasy.

one piece prop as in the photo above & same as used on bonnets with a spare wheel/tyre fitted,

The td5 prop is totally different from earlier one piece prop. The td5 one fits on a bracket on the offside wing and when not in use clips across the radiator frame /slam panel into a bracket on the near side wing. The earlier tdi one pice prop is much stronger and clips up into the bonnet itself.

You only have to take a look at the front edge of the bonnet to see what load landrover envisaged them taking , the early bonnets have 4 rubber blocks mounted on brackets to sit on the front grill closing panel , as opposed to the two anti rattle buffers fitted on the td5 bonnet.

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect original heavy bonnet is to support spare wheel mounting option when the td5 was produced I guess the bean counters at LR saw an opportunity to save some material cost as the fashion for bonnet mounted spare had diminished and so they could lighten the construction.