Going to see this old girl Tuesday advice please

Check VINs match; should be on plate under the bonnet, and stamped into chassis in vertical face in RH front wheelarch, near the front (might need a scrape off) and should of course match the V5. Seems not esp cheap, but in fairness at that age everything depends on condition. Look at at doors, bulkhead, chassis esp rear crossmember, rear crossmember in front of rear wheels, front outriggers (just behind bulkhead), and anywhere water might run on the inside of the chassis, eg at bottom of rise at front and bank. There will be some corrosion, except where it's completely gone of course. And as DTB says, the engine should be a 300 at that age

Personally, I wouldn't bother going to look at it, far too messed about, and even worse, blinged.

Quite a 'unique' look with white, black silver, some would say ugly, and has been bolted together from 3 different vehicles.

• Like 1

I would also give it a miss. I think for that kind of money you could find yourself a more "honest" example.

There's something about that one I don't like. Maybe because it's been built out of several vehicles. But then so has mine....

I can't put my finger on it but I wouldn't bother.

Tidy and 9 years newer : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/56-2006-LANDROVER-DEFENDER-110-TD5-UTILITY-COMMERCIAL-WHITE-4X4-/231661381905?hash=item35f0182911

Purposeful, newer and lots of kit on it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-110-UTILITY-TD5-SILVER-NO-VAT-Mot-July-2016-/221862629983?hash=item33a80b125f

At the end of the day you get what you want, but that one looks more and more like it was hashed together to return maximum profit.

There's something about that one I don't like. Maybe because it's been built out of several vehicles. But then so has mine....

I bet yours is at least roughly the same colour, top, middle and bottom (unless you WANTED a white roof of course).

I have 300TDI on 1995 plate.

Ive had some minor welding work on rear chassis. I thought that it, till it went in for a recent gearbox recon. They removed central cross member and found holes on inner sections of the chassis, water collection point.

I had an oil leak at the rear of the engine, so ended up replacing the cylinder head gasket and the rocker as it had wear, due to worn valve caps, cylinder head gasket replacement common on older models, or so I was informed. Also had to replace the steering box due to a leak, again common fault I believe. Finally on negatives I also had to replace swivel and seal as it was pitted and leaking on N/S, so did full overhaul on N/S axle at same time. But lets face it if you buy an old Land Rover you expect to do jobs on them, unless they have been well maintained.

On the positives it knocks spots off my old series 2A and 3 performance wise, love the engine solid reliable but that's preference some prefer the 200TDI. The cam belt is easier to change than on a 200TDI. The 300TDI is supposed to be more economical on fuel than the TD5 but I may stand corrected. Not sure what happens with road tax either think 1997 was the cut off before the road tax jumps up, if its been converted and re-registered has it affected the road tax cost ? Don't know but worth checking.

As long as the chassis, bulkhead and doors are sound and price is right, the rest of parts are easy to come by and at the moment reasonably priced.

Personally and again its personal preference I would not have a TD5, too many electrics to go wrong ECU's, EGR valves, electric windows etc.

I got rid of my last car a Peugeot and got the Land Rover because I was sick of electrical problems that required a garage to sort.

Unless you really know your way around Land Rovers, conversions can be a potential nightmare.

Many years ago when petrol was cheap I converted my old series 3 to a V8. Loved driving it, particularly towing my caravan. But as it is with life my first wife forced the sale in favor of a comfy boring saloon car. When it got sold I cried a little, but part of me did feel a bit sorry for the buyer as he would have all the hassle buying parts for a vehicle with a none standard engine etc. In those days no fancy electrics either fairly straight forward. However, I had uprated suspension on the back as the front end sat higher with the V8, less weight than the original engine. The exhaust was none standard too had it made up specially for the vehicle in stainless, I also fitted heavy duty half shafts.

So if it is a conversion, beware and at least find out what work has been done and what is none standard or modified !

Good luck

I would give that a wide berth. It appear to me to be very mucked about with.

For a vehicle that has been made so shiny on the outside, there are some glaring omissions in finishing it.

The rear fog light should be where the hole is to the left of the rear door. Why has some after market light been badly positioned on the other side?

There has been little effort made to tidy up the interior in the back. The load area looks like it's had a hard life!

The mix of body panel colours is 'interesting'.

I would argue the point about going to the tip - normally it is windows in the rear, rather than seats that portray a passenger car as opposed to a van.

Ditto Nick Williams comment about the side facing seats. What ever you feel about side facing seats, this is not a configuration offered by the manufacturer for a Defender 110. Non-standard seating is a key thing with insurers.

Polished pile of doo-doo springs to my mind.

My mate has White90's old 90, it's a 1997 300tdi and chassis is horrendous! I give it some credit that the poor old thing has had a very hard life but still, I would have thought that a car 11 years newer than mine would have a better chassis. 300 era chassis just seem to rot like a D2

• Like 1

Ok few updates

I have wanted landy for a while and have been offered this in a swap for a car I am selling. So I could either wait out a sale which will take ages (am selling a merc 500sl)

or take this.

owner seems honest enough, doesn't seem to know alot about them, but sent log book stating a reg date of 17/10/97

2.5 tdi

But think he thinks td5 means tdi 2.5

said no issues with rust bar the back door

and is in for MOT which it failed today so viewing has been pushed back till parts come.

He just said " The garage actually said today it was a 2.5 tdi which they class as a 300"

I'd follow all the advice above which is based on centuries of collective experience!

Be patient, there are plenty out there, we have all been suckered in to buying the pretty one before (see the number of total rebuilds in the members vehicles section?) I'd also avoid anything that's been slapped together with the cheapest pattern parts to get it through the mot

Good luck

Mike

the reversing light has been moved from left to right.

rear fog is in the correct place.

The rear fog light should be where the hole is to the left of the rear door. Why has some after market light been badly positioned on the other side?

An innocent (ish) answer to this is probably 'cos thats where the rear loom pops out of the chassis and maybe the rear cross has been swapped - maybe damage to the loom when that was done?

Its not a vehicle that I would buy based on the scant information presented but there are nice straight trucks out there, as they say lots of frogs to be kissed :-)

(EDIT) if this is your first LR purchase - maybe someone here who is local would offer to take a look for you , if you are near Anglesey or Oslo I'd be happy to look if it helps

I agree with the guys don't rush into it mate i wanted a defender 90 since I was young and my dad used to take me to the army barracks I'm 32 now just got my 90 2 months ago I was lucky it was from a dealer so I got some warranty as the clutch master cylinder went 3 days into me having it so I got it done with the garage footing the bill. Also when it gets it through the mot that doesn't guarantee it's a sound defender there could be stuff lurking under the bonnet

If it failed an MoT, then it hasn't been looked after. The mods are costly, suggesting an owner more interested in appearance than safety or reliability, and that screams to me "keep away", especially that some of the alterations are bad, like the reverse light.