Rodents in the workshop - Plug in repeller?

Its partially my own fault for leaving food stuffs about in the workshop, but I never know when I might end up staying up there long enough to need food as I keep a few cup-a-soups and some noodles at the workshop. whilst looking for some scotchbrite in the cupboard the other day I noticed that one of the noodle packets had been attacked and also the cup-a-soup packets too. I've also noticed kebab boxes with teeth marks a while back.

I'm not too worried about the food stuff, but I don't want them attacking wiring/seats/etc as the car is going together. And as the workshop is on a farm.... theres likely to be plenty about!

Has any got any experience of the effectiveness of the plug-in rodent repeller things? Looks a bit like a plug-in air freshener but uses ultrasonic noise to fend them off.

I've found evidence of mice in mine the other day - chewed foam. I might look at putting one of these in. Any suggested places to get one.

I was just going to look at what's available on Amazon. unless anyone on here had a recommendation.

They do seem to work, but if you have acute hearing (being young still) you may well hear them, and can be pretty irritating.

I can always turn it off when I'm up there if its annoying.... or just turn the radio up further.

I bought a tube of rat glue once from the local Indian supermarket.

Didn't expect it would work, but to my horror I stepped into the garden and found a massive rat stuck fast onto the glued wooden board vibrating round the patio as is thrashed to get free.

Reckon I lost a few karma points that day.

I bought a tube of rat glue once from the local Indian supermarket.

Didn't expect it would work, but to my horror I stepped into the garden and found a massive rat stuck fast onto the glued wooden board vibrating round the patio as is thrashed to get free.

Reckon I lost a few karma points that day.

I'm a big softie, so I won't be trapping anything :P

I think your local council will take care of it FoC. Best to get rid of them. Even if the repellents work they will turn up somewhere else, and they breed like um ... rats

However i will admit to trapping mice in the past and taking them a mile away to release, i do have a soft side for the slightly cuter cousins

These work well, if you aren't so soft:

http://www.pestcontrolsupplies.co.uk/pest-stop-electronic-battery-operated-instant-rat-killer-trap?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiNi0BRDaobaq3dKJhrwBEiQAyVThzcFoQOGxh5qs2cxTJxYKu5roBZr63Anc-NGPMjwFXOQaAnBp8P8HAQ

Caught more than a dozen mice this year with one, up in the loft once the cold weather came in...

I was having lots of issues in the workshop, deployed 3 bait boxes with a bunch of poison granules, all mess has stopped. Unfortunately The Owl lives over where my landrover is parked, which makes quite a mess, but its an owl, so I'll just park 8ft further forward in future.

Get some decent poison from a professional or the other option is to have a thorough sort out and arm yourself with a hammer to dispatch them when you disturb them, a spade is also quite effective.

Or maybe you know someone with a terrier? Sod scaring them off, deal with them.

• Like 1

Get some old fashioned mouse traps, load with old bread or digestive biscuits. Tether the traps with steel wire though or they'l dissapear. Keep any foodstuffs in a metal bisbuit tin.

The mice/rats have the abilty to chew through cardboard or plastic and particulary like the taste of pvc cables.

Guys, BUY A CAT - I'm no feline lover, I despise the bloody things but they are one of the most efficient killers going. Hint, do NOT feed it in your house, give it a bed box in your shed and feed and water it there.

Your rat and rodent problem will be solved forever, oh, and PLEASE have it desexed.

• Like 1

I'm with Boydie, I used to and now again live next to orchards.... mice and rat population spikes end of the fruit season and when they finish all the fruit on the ground they took to my shed, first yr tried everything once I realized the problem, poison, traps, cement in there holes took me a couple of yrs before I worked out a cat door to my shed was all it took.... I didn't even own a cat but my neighbors cat or the stray's were more than happy to catch them once they worked out there was a safe way in and out

Oh and don't buy a cat go to the SPCA its cheaper and your doing a good deed

Sadly my partners cat is so pathetic I don't think it could catch mice.... we have been at the new house for 4 days off a whole month and the cat has only just found the courage to venture outside today for the first time lol the sight of a mouse or a rat would probably send it running back the closet it hid in for 2 weeks

Irish deodorant soap is popular at reppelling rats. A few bars hear and there....

And girls too apparently, as recommended by catholic priests.

It's spiders I have trouble with, bloody webs every where. Any cures for them?? Concurs don't work...

I find WD40 can and a lighter works well. Takes out web & spider in one blast and you dont have to get near the buggers (unless a burning one lands on you)