Insuring Teenage Drivers

Oakmaster

Insuring Teenage Drivers

Before I go and buy some horrible little ‘car’ thing for my daughters to drive – has anyone had any success recently insuring a Land-Rover for teenagers Series / Defender at an affordable rate?

Sorry to bring it up again but things do change

From a safety POV, i think i'd prefer they were in a decent modern mid size hatchback, with its ESP, ABS, Airbags and decent crash structure, than an old landrover with horrible driving dynamics, and no safety features at all...

Clearly some of the smaller supermini cars are a bit nasty, but theres nothing wrong with something like a Golf or similar, and i'm not sure i could describe one as a "horrible little car"...

One of the first times my now-wife-then-girlfriend drove a landrover, a 1989 Disco, she got cut up by an old fart, locked the brakes in panic and ploughed straight into the side of said old fart. Had it been any "normal" car, the incident simply wouldnt have happened. Her normal car would a) have stopped quicker anyway as it had decent grippy road tyres rather than the crappy AT's on the disco, and b) has ABS which would have meant she steered around the guy rather than sliding straight into him, there was plenty room. Sure, a bit more experience she might have been fine in the Disco with a bit of cadence braking and whatnot, but young drivers are typically lacking in that experience, and even if they know what to do (most dont, its not even taught any more, the instructors just assume all cars have ABS), the panic means it all goes right out the window.

A bit back we had this problem; a daughter passed her test and not long after had a crash, but needed to be able to drive down unmade roads to reach a horse. The older Defenders are or were significantly lower groups than the newer, so we ended up with a 300tdi insured with NFU, but I was the keeper, she was a named driver( which was OK as I drove it more). She was about 21 at the time, the first year was not esp cheap.

• Like 1

I started driving my 110 the day i passed my test when i was 19 (only 6 moths ago or so) i pay about 1200 annually with adrian flux, this also the best quote i have ever had for any car, admiral wanted 4500 a year just for my dads 1.6 fiesta!

• Like 1

I insured mine after passing my test with the co-op, they were half the price of everyone else at the time, circa 600£ iirc. was a few years ago now but might be worth a shout, alternatively both of my cars are with aviva now and they have been very reasonable

• Like 1

From a safety POV, i think i'd prefer they were in a decent modern mid size hatchback, with its ESP, ABS, Airbags and decent crash structure, than an old landrover with horrible driving dynamics, and no safety features at all...

Clearly some of the smaller supermini cars are a bit nasty, but theres nothing wrong with something like a Golf or similar, and i'm not sure i could describe one as a "horrible little car"...

One of the first times my now-wife-then-girlfriend drove a landrover, a 1989 Disco, she got cut up by an old fart, locked the brakes in panic and ploughed straight into the side of said old fart. Had it been any "normal" car, the incident simply wouldnt have happened. Her normal car would a) have stopped quicker anyway as it had decent grippy road tyres rather than the crappy AT's on the disco, and b) has ABS which would have meant she steered around the guy rather than sliding straight into him, there was plenty room. Sure, a bit more experience she might have been fine in the Disco with a bit of cadence braking and whatnot, but young drivers are typically lacking in that experience, and even if they know what to do (most dont, its not even taught any more, the instructors just assume all cars have ABS), the panic means it all goes right out the window.

Reluctant as I am to forgo my Victor Meldrew stance - I have to say that is a well considered and sensible answer!

- and thanks to everyone else who commented

We have recently gone through a similar situation with my son. Despite his desire to have a Defender or possibly Series as a first day to day vehicle the fact that he is covering 60 miles a day to work and back and a bit less to college a couple of days a week meant that for him the economies and practicalities involved just would not have stacked up. In the end head prevailed over heart and for the time being we've gone down the cheap n cheerful eurobox complete with airbags ABS etc route. This will get him on the road independently and will permit him to build up a bit of NCB.

There is no way we would have have considered adding him to any of our own policies.

I passed as soon as I turned 17 (2013) and got insured on my 90 for £1200 through admiral multi car as my parents have their normal cars insured through the same company, it wasn't a great deal more expensive than a normal car to insure either

J

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing his back to the top to update with our very recent [ie yesterday & today] experiences.

Sonny Jim passed his practical test and was duly issued with his full licence yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon I rang the insurance agents [Flux] to inform them and discuss implications on the cover we took out on his behalf when we bought him his little Noddy car back in January when he was still on his provisional licence and accompanied learner driving. Provisional cover was then duly cancelled and I was transferred to the appropriate dept., for a new quote.

After going through the usual 10,000 questions the advisor disappeared for quite a while and came back apologising for the delay but that she had to speak to her supervisor. She then went on to relate that their usual new driver company were no longer showing on their system as accepting new business [apparently they do that from time to time she said] so the next best policy to cover him in his 2010 1.3 Suzuki Swift would incur a premium of £4,246.51 ...to which I replied it was a bl**dy good job I was sitting down! She agreed that it did seem a little excessive given the circumstances and vehicle after which said needless to say I would not be accepting their offer and bid her good day.

In the end we went with "Marmelade" comprehensive, black box, 12,000 miles with no curfew + wife & I as named drivers for under a grand.

Still enough and not the Land Rover he wanted but sometimes these things take time.

many horror and success stories around black boxes. drive like a tit and expect it to bite you back! ive also heard people being prove innocent because of the data the black box recorded in accidents and other having there policy cancelled after 10mths for driving like idiots leaving them without any ncb and a mark against there name for denied insurance and a huge hike in premiums. tho admittedly i chose a policy without blackbox and paid a tiny bit more. just in case... but my next planned car, blackbox brings price down by 3k. but then defeats the object of the car. :ph34r:

other options is insuring car in your name and putting kids as named drivers. easy way for cheap insurance but has recently been a huge crack own on this! but i do the opposite. policy in my name and my mum as a named driver. with her million years ncb brings my insurance down almost £250! bonus! :D

Interesting. I thought things were crazy when I started driving but it seems to have got worse since then. My first premium was £1,200 on an X-plate Corsa but it very quickly came down year on year. Now I'm classed as old by the insurance companies it's fairly cheap (£230 fully comp. business use and 30k/year) compared to some, though I live in a good postcode and am low-risk in terms of employment, full NCB etc.

Black box is one thing, but a curfew would suck! When you're 17 the whole point is being able to go where you want when you want, being restricted to (I presume?) daytime/evenings only would kind of ruin the freedom of it all.

Bringing his back to the top to update with our very recent [ie yesterday & today] experiences.

Sonny Jim passed his practical test and was duly issued with his full licence yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon I rang the insurance agents [Flux] to inform them and discuss implications on the cover we took out on his behalf when we bought him his little Noddy car back in January when he was still on his provisional licence and accompanied learner driving. Provisional cover was then duly cancelled and I was transferred to the appropriate dept., for a new quote.

After going through the usual 10,000 questions the advisor disappeared for quite a while and came back apologising for the delay but that she had to speak to her supervisor. She then went on to relate that their usual new driver company were no longer showing on their system as accepting new business [apparently they do that from time to time she said] so the next best policy to cover him in his 2010 1.3 Suzuki Swift would incur a premium of £4,246.51 ...to which I replied it was a bl**dy good job I was sitting down! She agreed that it did seem a little excessive given the circumstances and vehicle after which said needless to say I would not be accepting their offer and bid her good day.

In the end we went with "Marmelade" comprehensive, black box, 12,000 miles with no curfew + wife & I as named drivers for under a grand.

Still enough and not the Land Rover he wanted but sometimes these things take time.

My son passed on Wednesday,and I had a right old game trying to sort out a decent policy after using Marmalade during learning.can't use that now because his little Suzuki Alto is more than 9 years old. Ended up with the CO OP and a black box, costing £1650. We had other quotes going up close to 6K.... With the box watching and the excesses on the policies, this must pay very well for the insurance companies.With theft especially a little old Micra or Alto etc its just not worth claiming.

Oh how things have changed,my Morris Minor cost £44 TPFT as my first car,soon had a Dolomite Sprint then a Range Rover at 19.Seem to remember the insurance was about £130 on that...

What annoys me is that it insurance has moved away from the original idea of everyone pays the same to cover the one of the many that has an accident. Personally I'd put insurance on fuel duty, that way there would be no uninsured drivers and it would be equitable for all. I know young drivers crash more ( I did) but then we all get older and more sensible and it evens out.

My son is nowhere near passing his test, so that bit of the pain has not yet landed.

There is no substitute for shopping around and that means ringing people and asking questions. As for black boxes, they make a huge difference and not all of them need a curfew.

My son will be a nightmare - accompanied driving in Wife/Mothers Fiat 500 Cabriolet rendered two claims in a week! He is much safer in the LR90; it intimidates him.

A slightly different perspective. Financial implications being favourable, it should really be a decision based on your knowledge of your kids, their own feeling on the matter and an understanding of the car. Personally I see aiming at something modern with ABS/TC/ESP as subscribing to the ever growing over caution the world seems to be coddling itself with. We all got on just fine in proper pieces of carp with no leccy gubbins or safety outside of seatbelts. My first proper car of my own was a classic Mini which I've kept and my children will learn to drive in it if the law will allow - because I know it'll put wiles on them and I'll rest easier knowing I've reared good solid knowledgable drivers rather than hoping ABS/ESP/TC will sort them out when they have no idea how to react to a given condition. I taught a GF to drive in that mini and she became a brilliant driver, and I'd love to take credit but really it's because being so small on the road she had to be aware, defensive and in tune with the car because it wasn't going to be too forgiving if she became complacent. She made that car tiny or huge depending on the situation and it was a joy to see her go. I say stick them in a Defender, it's a gift for life both in the physical sense and in the skills they'll learn if you open their eyes to the depth of skill that driving can be. Cars without knacks breed drivers without knacks.

A slightly different perspective. Financial implications being favourable, it should really be a decision based on your knowledge of your kids, their own feeling on the matter and an understanding of the car. Personally I see aiming at something modern with ABS/TC/ESP as subscribing to the ever growing over caution the world seems to be coddling itself with. We all got on just fine in proper pieces of carp with no leccy gubbins or safety outside of seatbelts. My first proper car of my own was a classic Mini which I've kept and my children will learn to drive in it if the law will allow - because I know it'll put wiles on them and I'll rest easier knowing I've reared good solid knowledgable drivers rather than hoping ABS/ESP/TC will sort them out when they have no idea how to react to a given condition. I taught a GF to drive in that mini and she became a brilliant driver, and I'd love to take credit but really it's because being so small on the road she had to be aware, defensive and in tune with the car because it wasn't going to be too forgiving if she became complacent. She made that car tiny or huge depending on the situation and it was a joy to see her go. I say stick them in a Defender, it's a gift for life both in the physical sense and in the skills they'll learn if you open their eyes to the depth of skill that driving can be. Cars without knacks breed drivers without knacks.

While I agree with you in principle, just a couple of thoughts spring to mind -

The techniques for driving cars with ESP/TC etc are obviously totally different in the low-grip moments than those without. It could be said that as the vast vast majority of cars on the road have these systems and most of us will be driving them most of the time, it's better to learn them from the start. The classic 'turning into a skid' is a good example as in a car with TC etc, it will likely put the car wherever you steer it rather than correct the skid.

My other thought was that although i'm obviously a bit unreconstructed (or I wouldn't be here) and learned in a car with no bells or whistles and loved it, cars are undeniably safer nowadays and as trauma is the most likely cause of death in the under 30's, I don't think it's OVER cautious to mitigate against it as best we can.

But yes, it's not clear cut and i'm not 100% one way or the other......

What annoys me is that it insurance has moved away from the original idea of everyone pays the same to cover the one of the many that has an accident. Personally I'd put insurance on fuel duty, that way there would be no uninsured drivers and it would be equitable for all. I know young drivers crash more ( I did) but then we all get older and more sensible and it evens out.

I think the system that some (all?) Australian states use has its merits. Basic third party is included for any driver with the annual road tax. If you want more than that you pay extra.

One downside is that it makes big V8 cars accessible to very inexperienced drivers.

I think the system that some (all?) Australian states use has its merits. Basic third party is included for any driver with the annual road tax. If you want more than that you pay extra.

One downside is that it makes big V8 cars accessible to very inexperienced drivers.

I have been saying a long time that road tax should be scrapped as it is intrinsically unfair, charging low users the same as high users, but that the fuel tax could be marginally increased to cover the lost revenue in a manner that reflects the wear and tear put on the road - heavy or sporty vehicles cause more damage, but also use more fuel, and the more miles you do, the more you contribute because of using more fuel. That could also cover third party insurance; that way every car is covered third party, at a stroke curing the uninsured driver problem, and while it doesn't account for driver experience or behaviour, it is still self regulating to a degree as aggressive drivers will use more fuel and so pay more tax and insurance. Having performance restrictions on certain experience levels and age groups could sort out the extremes of having rich kids driving excessively high performance cars (not that they're stopped at the moment). It seems a much better system, less open to abuse by drivers and insurers alike, than the current mess.

The main problem with scrapping road tax and putting it on to the fuel tax is that is removes the last vestiges of any requirement to register a vehicle. It is very easy to have an unregistered vehicle now, but at least the lack of road tax may alert the police to an illegal vehicle if they see one. Without the need to pay road tax why bother to register a newly purchased vehicle if no one can check if you have not done so?.

The main problem with scrapping road tax and putting it on to the fuel tax is that is removes the last vestiges of any requirement to register a vehicle. It is very easy to have an unregistered vehicle now, but at least the lack of road tax may alert the police to an illegal vehicle if they see one. Without the need to pay road tax why bother to register a newly purchased vehicle if no one can check if you have not done so?.

The registration system would not change, and the ANPR systems would still catch non-registered numbers as well as those with no MoT, so I can't see a problem.