Alone or stupid.

Nigelw

It seems poignant to ask this after reading yet another, "I'm stuck on a lane, bogged to the axles, oh and it's 10:30pm", post.

For those who don't do Facebook, you are spared the despair of reading such posts.

But I don't get it, why go out;

a) at night

b) ill equipped

c) driving unfamiliar terrain at night

I go solo laning exclusively, much less hassle with other parties enjoying the countryside just as I am, been out in groups but it's not my bag, I like to bimble along in 1st/2nd gazing through the trees or admiring the views of our diverse landscapes, too many drivers believe they're in a rally or something which defeats my objective in going laning.

I think my vehicle is well maintained and suitably equipped, winch, rope, strops, axe, bow saw and a shovel, I also have normal gear stowed like a torch with spare batteries, extra boots, spare clothes and a charger for my phone, essentials like bulbs, first aid and fire extinguisher live permanently in the car.

Can anyone understand why these folk go off (commonly with female companion) to green lane at night and in vehicles with little more preparation than bigger wheels and snorkels that aren't connected.

Sign of my age noticing indifference to others perhaps?

• Like 3

Night laning does remove one of the greatest pleasures of laning .... being able to see the view! Unless of course they were an amorous couple looking for a bit of privacy...

I solved the despair of reading those posts by simply leaving the majority of the facebook LR groups ;)

(commonly with female companion)

Think you've answered your own question!

Even I have been in this situation! (long long ago) "I'm afraid were completely stuck! We'll have to spend the night here! Nudge Nudge!"

Si

It drives me up the wall too.

As much as I love the views during the day I do also enjoy night laning for the fact you can feel so much more isolated. And the fact that everything is different in the dark.

No I'm not disputing the excitement factor, but it's the going out unprepared that bugs me!

Si, you old dog lol

Showing off and not caring. Folks on LR4x4 are responsible owners ( :blink:) with a real passion for Landrovers and exploring the world with them. Sadly in the real world there are a lot of full bore idiots

Some 4x4 owners (similar to boyracers wanting fast cars yet unable to drive well) like to assume that they can go anywhere in a Landy and neglect that no preparation and ancillery equipment are key to a) enjoying yourself and b) getting out of trouble when stuck.

Otherwise nothing wrong with a bit of romantic nookie atop a mountain in the back of a 110

90 % of the Laning we do is solo - we must check / find / etc lanes and most clients don't like reversing for 2 miles....

Nothing wrong with that - but you need to be prepared.

Once went down a lane in a Mondeo (Hard time, Range Rover broken and needed a car) following a GPS on the way to meet a girlfriend. Managed not to get stuck, ***k knows how and never been on Facetube or Youbook or whatever. Does that count?

Folk often go 'night time laning' round my way. Problem is that ALL the RUPPs are now RB's and the drove roads are private. Also most of the droves were built about 1500-1000 years ago as causeways, branches piled up crossways until they didn't sink anymore, then covered in clay and spoil to make a road bed. If you are pile driving you rarely hit bottom for 250 feet and then that's only resistance, not rock. So if a drove is in a state of disrepair, what looks like a puddle might swallow a vehicle whole - although generally it's not that bad. I run a bit of a rescue service, with contributions going to GLASS. What always amazes me is the number of folk with winches on the front, close proximity to a tree and yet they try to get recovered backwards... Mind you. a lot have never wired the winch in...

The amount of muppets I see out and about in what can only be described as MOT failures is unreal, I live on the edge of Salisbury plain and when I'm over there I see all sorts, they plainly have no recovery points-apart from some scabby 50mm ball on the backside of the equally manky towbar and expect to be able to recover themselves with unsuitable kit.

John

Very few legal byways left in West Cornwall now anyway but I do go out at night on those that remain especially on the top of the moors looking out over the Atlantic on a crisp moonlit night. The views are stunning and completely different experience from daytime. However I know these lanes well and wouldn't risk getting stuck. Some idiots go off onto the moors not realising it's a swamp year round (granite water springs under heather and gorse so it looks solid yet will swallow a tractor). I've seen a few vehicles completely abandoned and almost un-recoverable in those heath marshes.

I used to lane a lot but don't do much now. However, I lane almost exclusively on my own in an unmodified Series 1. You get a lot less agro (none) from landowners and other users. If you dress in a boiler suit and wellies, you just blend in to the landscape.

I've only ever needed to be recovered by anyone else when I have been laning in company.

I have laned in groups, on my own and run lane days for the club. I have done day and night for all three. If you pick your route based on time, date, number of trucks and equipment you should never have a problem. I lane for scenery, wildlife and experience ie night landing produces a very different experience, wildlife and scenery to day. A lane I would do in a group is not necessarily one I would do on my own. I always lane fully prepared and I'm not frightened to turn round or back out. The moto I use for laning is simple:

IF YOU THINK YOUR GOING TO GET STUCK WHY ARE YOU THERE.

Site days are for getting stuck.

Mike

This is the reason I haven't done any green laning in the disco 2, only modification it has is 265/65/18 BFG AT tyres. I imagine it to be quite capable, but with nothing but a towbar, couple of shackles and a strap I'm not equipped to venture off down a lane on my own. Also the misses wouldn't thank me if I told her we were stuck and she had to get her heels muddy and walk miles ?