Trailer Tow Hitch ?

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

My next door neighbor has asked if his dad can borrow my trailer and I wasn't there at the time but when he tried to hitch the trailer up to his car his tow ball was too big, mine is a std 50MM ball hitch and I didn't no of a bigger ball but his car is a pretty new Kia, any idea's as I am a bit :unsure:

I reckon he just couldnt get your hitch to open properly (not doing it right) I can't think that I have ever seen anything different to a 50mm ball.

To be honest I can't imagine that a kia would be able to tow anything more than a landrover could...so it wouldnt need a bigger hitch anyway...yes lost too

That's what I was thinking not opening the hitch properly, ok cheers guys for conferming the ball size I will show him how to or mite do the job for him and save my trailer from getting smashed to bits.

Remember my dad lending a neighbor our caravan once and when we got it back the rear skirt was ripped out due to the van lifting the back of the car ( Morris Marina Est ) on a hump back bridge in Devon :o

I'm sure that bigger size was 2¼, not 2".  That's because I had one and a trailer to match!  I'm pretty sure it was discontinued decades ago though, so I agree with the others that the chap had some basic operational issues.

Here in New Zealand, the standard size is still 1⅞, which leads to a certain gnashing of teeth if you get a Euro car with a 50mm ball.  Quite common with Land Rovers, not surprisingly!  I used to carry two sizes when I worked for a government department which decided to buck the trend and standardise on 50mm.  Sometimes, people would try to force the smaller hitch onto the bigger ball, or, far worse, drive away with a 50mm coupling on a 1⅞ ball.  I know for a fact that they can come off...

On 22/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, western said:

UK/Euro standard ball hitch is 50mm, never try to use a older 2 inch hitch on it or the trailer/vehicle could seperate at anytime, 

sounds like he doesn't know how to open the safety lock on the trailer to get it hitched to the car. 

2 inch is the USA ball hitch IIRC but my old harvey frost towboy had a old UK hitch on it when bought 18 years ago. 

with ref to my previous replies the original UK ball hitch diameter was  : the old 1 7⁄8 in (47.6 mm) & the current Euro/UK 50mm 

Given the tow car is new and therefore presumably UK type approved I am sure it would be a 50mm ball as the US hitches probably wouldn't have type approval.

Some of the heavy duty Ifor hitches won't unlock if there is a load on them such as the hitch being dropped on to the ball before lifting the lever.

Bad connection between the hitch and the ground :)

• Like 1

Just for information but the 50mm ones have a flat top. The old imperial ones are a full ball. 

The Americans have a few different sizes often mounted on a square that slides into a bit of box on the car so you can just turn it to get the size you need.

The handle on my trailer latches up with a little Lever and seems to catch a few people out.

Here, in Canada, and I'm sure it's the same in the US, we have 1-1/8", 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16" ball sizes, all with differing load capacities within the same ball size, depending on the steel and securing bolt properties.  And, of course, the trailer receiver size must match the ball size.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/search?No=24&Nrpp=24&Ntt=ball+hitches

Mike

3 hours ago, deep said:

So that's at least six different "standard" sizes around the world and even up to four in one country?  I love that!  That's not including the NATO hitch on my 110 and whatever the Russians use...

And two sizes of pin type hitch.

Nato and commercial  (about a 19mm pin).

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2016 at 1:04 AM, Cynic-al said:

Just for information but the 50mm ones have a flat top. The old imperial ones are a full ball. 

The Americans have a few different sizes often mounted on a square that slides into a bit of box on the car so you can just turn it to get the size you need.

The handle on my trailer latches up with a little Lever and seems to catch a few people out.

We see those in the UAE too; in fact, I was following an SUV with one today - it's a good idea allowing the driver to rotate a single hitch block around the longitudinal axis to put the required size ball on the top.  Simple and you'll never be left without the needed ball.  Looks a it odd, though.