Another Scotland trip

Badger110

Stunning video; Scotland should employ you to promote the country! I fancy going myself now. As a question, how much feasible is doing what you did in a usual Eurobox style car? I can entertain the idea of going with my family, but using the landy isn't really going to work I think. We would use local accommodation, rather than sleeping in the car. We are also limited to school holidays, which would make the before mentioned traffic problem worse.

Daan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daan said:

As a question, how much feasible is doing what you did in a usual Eurobox style car? I can entertain the idea of going with my family, but using the landy isn't really going to work I think. We would use local accommodation, rather than sleeping in the car. We are also limited to school holidays, which would make the before mentioned traffic problem worse.

Daan

Entirely feasible so long as you don't plan on taking the car too far off road - some of the forests have tracks you can access, and don't require serious ground clearance / gradient capability.

There's a lot more to the Highlands than NC500 (although it does pass through some scenic countryside). A bit of careful planning and the crowds can be avoided, especially if you can go once the Scottish schools are back.

Plenty of decent accommodation available. I was up there at the end of September for a couple of weeks cycling. Bunkhouses were very quiet, offered single occupancy rooms en-suite and most had a pub / restaurant within easy distance.

• Like 1

Lovely pics Badger, looks like you had a good trip.

For clarity - strictly speaking almost none of the forest tracks or other ungated unmetalled roads can be driven without the landowners permission. There are a few forest drives (tolled) and other examples of permitted access but there are no vehicular ‘rights of way’ beyond the normal tarred public roads like there are in England and Wales.

The good thing about Scotland is that you don’t need to get off the tarmac to explore it.

30 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Lovely pics Badger, looks like you had a good trip.

For clarity - strictly speaking almost none of the forest tracks or other ungated unmetalled roads can be driven without the landowners permission. There are a few forest drives (tolled) and other examples of permitted access but there are no vehicular ‘rights of way’ beyond the normal tarred public roads like there are in England and Wales.

The good thing about Scotland is that you don’t need to get off the tarmac to explore it.

My ignorance shows through :(  I wasn't aware this was the case. 

The roads we found were clearly marked on the app with notices on the gates asking people to keep the gates closed at all times due to deer crossing over into areas with indiginous trees and destroying them, these were aimed at walkers no doubt.

I shall be aware on the next trip :D

On 11/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, Badger110 said:

My only let down was the NC500 or the part we travelled.  It wasn't the location or the views as they were stunning, but the relentless single roads filled with motorhomes.  I get the attraction to everyone who wants to experience it, but it does make the journey tense, RV's slowing to look at the view, or frightened to pass each other or just huge gin palaces!  I dread to think what it's like at peak season.

Reminds me of my experience in Norway. Especially around Geiranger.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Stunning video Badger! Such beautiful scenery up that way, I'm ashamed to say I've never been north of the border!

Good find with the Camel Trophy 90 too.... they didn't use them for many, I think only 1 or 2 events were 90s.

Well worth it, beautiful country :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve found another video of where I live...no Landy’s in it so it may not coincide with the rules but I figured some of might like to see more and appreciate the music.

I’d advise you to take 15 minutes with some headphones or decent sound output to gain the experience.

This isn’t a public video due to licensing laws by YouTube so don’t share...just enjoy.

I’ve got another one from Scotland which is waiting for my MacBook to arrive....delayed for 2 weeks now

The sound track fits so well , I'm amazed at the quality of drone video's , it truly shows just how far tech has moved over a very short time.

Do you program a route or control it from a device in your hands ? ( novice alert :)

Thanks for putting it up on here , I ,for one would like to see a few more

Steve

• Like 1

I loved it too.  I only got it in 360p though? I wondered if YouTube had not fully processed yet....

one of my favourite pieces of music too.

I’ve thought about a drone a number of times - especially one that can follow my on the 80” when I’m laning. I’ve looked enough to know there is a lot of choice, a lot of knowledge, and that I think you need to spend quite a bit to get something that follows well, has decent flight time, and a good camera. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steve b said:

The sound track fits so well , I'm amazed at the quality of drone video's , it truly shows just how far tech has moved over a very short time.

Do you program a route or control it from a device in your hands ? ( novice alert :)

Thanks for putting it up on here , I ,for one would like to see a few more

Steve

With this particular video i wanted to get the distance so it was done using 4 people ( plus myself ) as spotters along the route which was roughly 3 miles out and back again to my house.   I use spotters mainly for legal reasons but also as a safety aspect. 

Manned aircraft aren't allowed to fly below 500ft unless landing or taking off ( drones can't go higher than 400ft ), but military and emergency services will fly below this level.  Once a drone is out of sight, i have no way of knowing if a helicopter from either of those is near my drone without a spotter.  If one turns up, i get radioed and land the drone until they've passed. 

There are a lot of videos of people flying drones well beyond their LOS ( line of sight ) and it's only going to be time before one causes an accident in the air.

This one was done with a Mavic 2, the camera is great, the machine is a well rounded one and i've only had one issue with it ( which the manufacturer replaced )

I also have an Inspire 2 but i don't use that unless it's paid work as the drone and camera are nearly £7000 and i have commercial insurance to use that!

Drones are great bits of kit and allow you the ability to see the world from another angle and show others ;)

10 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I loved it too.  I only got it in 360p though? I wondered if YouTube had not fully processed yet....

one of my favourite pieces of music too.

I’ve thought about a drone a number of times - especially one that can follow my on the 80” when I’m laning. I’ve looked enough to know there is a lot of choice, a lot of knowledge, and that I think you need to spend quite a bit to get something that follows well, has decent flight time, and a good camera. 

Tbh i uploaded that in 2019, but i think the issue is this site only showing the smaller version.

Here's a direct link; https://youtu.be/-DJRnJafKdo

Mavic Mini's are good little drones which will do just that, however it's a lot more difficult to get a drone to follow you down a lane without it hitting anything or provide a good shot.

I did a few shots in scotland but the wife was driving and i was piloting the drone, however even then it's difficult to explain to her how to drive and direct the drone at the same time without having to keep going back and re shooting the footage.  Single takes are very rarely perfect!