LRO

Anderzander

It is a shame. I used to love reading it. I felt it went downhill some time ago and stopped buying it around 2012 but maybe there is only so much one reader can or wants to read. Their bolt on obsession with anything britpart and attitude in its latter days to the old lro forum was annoying. 

Another old name gone.

I have 100's of LR magazine to go into a custom cabinet in the new office one day..

However, they killed our Addicts forum and the last few years were not really the best of the magazine.

Interesting to see if the French edition is also gone.

There is a market for a quality LR related magazine - but quality is the word.

Sad day for those making (part of) a living from it.

100% agree with the point that you can get much more focussed and relevant advice, exactly when you need it, on good forums like this. The benefit on forums is that it’s also (relatively) easily searchable.

Classic Land Rovers and the age of its readers….! I resemble that remark!

• Haha 1

Used to love flicking through a LR mag before going to work, never got to grips with electronic mags, just not the same.

Sad to see aother one down the  pan (even tho as above they screwed us over)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Well past its best. Shame that people will loose employment though.

I shall keep my own council regarding other forums, their style and the management thereof as there I do not think it wise to go over ground that was well trodden years ago.

It is nice to think that THIS forum remains.

Hear, hear.

I used to really enjoy it, but the last time I had a subscription about 3 years ago as a gift it was more adverts than article. And there is only so many times you can look at ridiculously overpriced bling. Sad to see these names disappear but I think all the comments are right, magazines are a dying media!

Also used to be an avid reader, but not bought a copy for years. Chiefly because how many articles on changing brake pads or shock absorbers, or fitting extra lamps does one need to read ? Too many adverts etc, but as already said, the rise of the internet has killed off things like this.

However, there IS something a lot nicer in looking at a book or magazine rather than a screen.  

• Like 3

I had the first copy they published, it was distributed free to Land Rover dealers.

I think it was meant to be a "lifestyle" magazine for the country set, instead it became popular with the enthusiast market and changed direction.

It was very good in the early years, many of our Welsh greenlaning trips were planned trying to follow the late Tim Webster's routes.

Ironically I've just cleared a load of old LROs from the attic, probably every issue from 1991 to around 2012 when I gave up buying it, on the basis you can only read the same thing so many times.

Does anyone remember...

4X4 and off road action (with pic's of scantily clad girls

Four Wheel Drive.

4X4 and sport truck (I think).

I'm sure there were others.

Yep, remember all those. I also had LRO issue one and follow ons for a number of years but as has been said it just became repetitive and a for me, like other mags a bit cringe worthy.

Books I keep, my grandfather was an antiquarian book dealer and would always say "books are silent friends" but Land Rover magazines just pile up and are nigh on impossible to search for info if time is short.  

• Like 2

That would be a shame, I used to subscribe back in the day, before the internet became big. I still occasionally buy the mag, but as mentioned, you can only tell the same thing so often. That said, from the Landy mags that are left, I'd say LRO is probably the best, so that is a bit of a surprise.

I must say, the collaboration with Brit part did annoy me, as well as the Chelsea tractor wholesalers like twisted and Nene overland. But that is where the money is I suppose.

Not suprised

well past being any good.

4 pages on how to fit a mudflap, and technical stuff wrong "the LT95 gearbox in the picture" - nope its a LT85 etc.

Prob is UK mags are controlled and run by journalists, the USA Mags tend to be run and controlled by technical skilled peeps, have a look at "Crawl" magazine - unbeliveable ideas / work / projects / tech

If it was a really good magazine it would still sell, but it was pretty dire last time I Looked 

Nige

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Not suprised

4 pages on how to fit a mudflap, and technical stuff wrong "the LT95 gearbox in the picture" - nope its a LT85 etc.

Prob is UK mags are controlled and run by journalists, the USA Mags tend to be run and controlled by technical skilled peeps, have a look at "Crawl" magazine - unbeliveable ideas / work / projects / tech

If it was a really good magazine it would still sell, but it was pretty dire last time I Looked 

Nige

It is certainly not anywhere near the standard it was years ago. Just typical for me that it will die just when I have been bought a subscription

In fairness I have read both copies so far cover to cover but equally it is a lot thinner than it used to be too

23 minutes ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Not suprised

Nige

Reading articles purporting to be fact, when I knew they were technically wrong is what killed the magazines for me too, plus the ever increasing percentage of ads, and I'm talking about at least 15 years ago. I've owned LRs for over 30 years and learned a lot in that time from magazines. I've always worked on and modified my own vehicles, I've been an off-roader, a green laner, a workhorse user and daily driver of LRs, but I don't think I am who today's magazines are aimed at. I get far more out of some of the more niche-focused LR social media pages that fit my interest.

There have been several mags that started off good, as they were written by true enthusiasts that knew their subject in detail. They were generally successful, until they got gobbled up by a big publishing house that put profits before quality of content. The knowledgeable contributors went elsewhere, and younger folk who were new to the subject matter were brought in and produced a load of drivel.

I've always enjoyed James' Roverphile columns and he's recently been sharing his writings on FB. For me he stands out for his high quality of journalism and content, although sadly he is one of a declining number.

• Like 2