Equipping a workshop - first off a compressor and welder

Jon W

The way I look at masks is that you’ve only got one pair of eyes. I’d rather spend the money and minimise the chances of any issues. Cheaper ones aren’t worth the risk IMO. Also stuff like the reaction times and darkness settings (remembering the need for lower settings for low powered TIG which most masks don’t do).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Remember.... It isn't the darkness that protects your eyes from the UV. 

Your mask should still protect your eyes from the UV light even if it doesn't trip, I put that to the test 3yrs ago.... 3 days of maintance engineering in outback Australia, the solar cell got damaged in transit and then the battery went flat.... with a 2 million dollar late penilty I had to get the job done so I trusted Miller and used it anyway, the weld was too bright to see anything lol but if I looked far enough ahead I could see my seam.... other than a headache and sore eyes from my eyes adjusting all the time no issues... had eye checks since no damage. Its why I have two helmets now lol 

• Like 1

Well lots to think about, might well go for a small air compressor as I use my makita for most things so the rest of the time it would be for blowing up tyres and blowing stuff out etc. Paint would be nice but maybe a bit down the line and may have to rethink the setup.

welder may well be a 2nd hand to have a play with. 

12 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

It’s the DTW285Z. I’ve had it a few years now so they may have superseded it.

If you want a smaller Impact wrench that you can fit in smaller spaces I would consider the 3/8 version Makita do. I use it all the time and am amazed at what it will undo and the torque it can achieve when tightening. 

I have the biggest 1/2 one too which is a beast but way to much (and too heavy) for most jobs

20 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

It’s the DTW285Z

That one has / had 'nut busting' torque of 400Nm. Every time I start to look I find myself thinking "must go bigger". Maybe not? I have had little success with my Aldi air wrench but that's probably no benchmark. I would want to be sure of releasing crusty stuff on lower suspension arms or similar. Is 400Nm enough or it that tool far better suited to speeding-up normal jobs?

Also @Bowie69 the battery ratchets look long. Are they better suited for above an engine or on a workbench or can they be manouvered?

They allow you to be 90 degrees from the fastener, small impacts are great, excellent, but the ratchets I think are more flexible.

The Milwaukee M12 ratchet is shorter, and with all brands they do see to have a couple of different sizes, some of which (Dewalt I think?) have 3/8 and 1/2 on the same head.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Is 400Nm enough or it that tool far better suited to speeding-up normal jobs?

Well if it helps I use my Dewalt impact driver (1/4 hex drive screw driving type) one for whizzing all sorts together and apart. That’s only 205Nm. It will take car wheel nuts off quite happily (clio, 206, various trailer). So 400 should be a lovely mix of oomph without being massive. 

21 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I’m looking for a nice smaller Milwaukee to match that kind of description - that balance of small enough to get in places but powerful enough to be worth while.

Go to William Moore and son in Preston next door to the prison, be warned though, it's difficult to exit without spending money. 

10 hours ago, Peaklander said:

The sockets - well one or two anyway. Enough so that I rarely try now on anything tight. Maybe my 1/4” sockets are a bit rubbish. 

I'm assuming your using normal sockets as appose to impact sockets that are designed to be used with impact guns, never had an impact socket break

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, muddy said:

Go to William Moore and son in Preston next door to the prison, be warned though, it's difficult to exit without spending money. 

Thank you !   Didn’t know that existed. I’ll have a look. 

Are you near Preston ? I thought you were Yorkshire way ..

On 11/4/2023 at 12:50 PM, simonr said:

I'm going to buck the trend on the compressor - and suggest you get one of the small Hydrovane ones.

I have one of these: https://www.directair.co.uk/air-compressors/hv02/

Mine came from www.airindustries.co.uk who did me a very good deal on a reconditioned one, that looked brand new.

While it's only 8 cfm with a 50l tank, it keeps up much better than my previous 15cfm piston compressor with a 100l tank.

I think one of the issues with piston compressors, unless you have a huge tank, is that the air pressure pulsates with each piston stroke.  This is noticeable while spraying - and can be quite bad with a Plasma Cutter.  The flow out of the Hydrovane is continuous - and seems able to deliver more (useable) air than it ought to.

My plasma says it needs 10cfm - but the compressor only runs with a 50% duty cycle.

The biggest advantage (if you have neighbours) is it's very quiet!  They're also low maintenance.

I use a PCL dropout air filter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162888498284  While these seem expensive - they are VERY good!  Perfect for spraying or Plasma.

+1 for a Hydrovane. I have an HV01, (half the output of Si's HV02) which works fine for plasma cutting and can just about manage my small blast cabinet as long as I don't run for too long.
When I bought my HV01 my garage was beneath my infant daughter's bedroom, which meant angle grinding or running a piston compressor wasn't going to happen. With a Hydrovane I could cut metal up at night quietly, just needed to garage door open to let the fumes out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peaklander said:

That one has / had 'nut busting' torque of 400Nm. Every time I start to look I find myself thinking "must go bigger". Maybe not? I have had little success with my Aldi air wrench but that's probably no benchmark. I would want to be sure of releasing crusty stuff on lower suspension arms or similar. Is 400Nm enough or it that tool far better suited to speeding-up normal jobs?

It’s powerful enough to take Land Rover wheelnuts off, though I generally crack them off with a bar first and just use it to rattle them on/off.

Because it’s a smaller size it can be used easily for things like taking props off (with the prop tool). The 3/8” is smaller still but all my impact sockets are 1/2” so that’s what I went with!

For bigger stuff (crankshaft bolts and trailer hub nuts etc.) I use the air impact wrench, which is a old Chicago pneumatic one I found in a garage which was being cleared!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Thank you !   Didn’t know that existed. I’ll have a look. 

Are you near Preston ? I thought you were Yorkshire way ..

I'm just over the border near Skipton but my vans cover the middle belt of the country, I also usually end up buying or selling stuff at Clitheroe auction but regardless its worth a special visit to Moores, its got everything!

there's also this guy at 

Unit A

50 Frank Street ( next to Stor-it )

Preston
Lancashire
PR1 1PB

Who has more clothing, boots, hand cleaners, PPE etc than ive ever seen in my life, worth going to see with a few pound notes...
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, Peaklander said:

Also @Bowie69 the battery ratchets look long. Are they better suited for above an engine or on a workbench or can they be manouvered?

With regards to the 400Nm I'd say that's generally okay for undoing nuts that have just been done up etc. My little M12 stubby is almost there at 340Nm and I'd say anything above M12ish (seized) is going to be pushing it. Removing seized suspension bolts on the P38 I scrapped I generally used my second gen M18 Hi Torque which is 1800Nm nut busting torque. That's not found a bolt it's struggled on, it'll either shear it or get it off. Quality and fit of sockets becomes critical at that point. Batteries also come into play, it is noticeably more powerful on 5Ah batteries than smaller, haven't tried it on my 12Ah battery actually. Biggest problem with it is it's physically a monster so there aren't many places on a LR where you can fit it in.

I've got the extended reach M12 ratchet and it's great for restricted access. The starter bolts on the JCB are a pig to access (the original starter required a special CV jointed socket to remove them), there is an access hatch but not enough to get a decent amount of rotation on a ratchet. The ratchet goes in and if the motor torque (not massive) can't shift it you use it as a normal ratchet, once cracked off you can then whizz it off with the motor.

I did see some review which pointed out that not all colours were made equal. I think the yella offering you risked breaking it if the motor couldn't spin it off, I.e. Unlike the Milwaukee you couldn't lean on it and abuse it like a normal ratchet. I think the Milwaukee was less powerful but had a smaller head and was genuinely a motorised ratchet so if it couldn't undo it with the motor you cracked it off by hand and then kicked in the motor. The other offering if you did that then it stripped the head.

The most useful one I have is the M12 stubby, it's really small particularly with a 2Ah battery in it, light and fits in lots of spaces.