Potential insanity

Am having more, potentially, insane thoughts.

Am thinking about buying a shipping container as I need one or two for a project. Sane so far.

A 20ft container weighs between 1.8 and 2.2 tonnes is only 2.4m wide so in theory is could be transported on a 3.5t Ifor or similar trailer. I have two trailers of this capacity an Ifor car transporter and a Bradley flat bed.

Has anyone done this, if so would they do it again and what are the likely problems other that the Police not liking the look of the load?

We usu. put the Tara weight of a 20" ctr. on 2.200 kgs.

Width varies between 240 and 250 cm.,

What makes them awkward to transport on a flatbed trailer without "twistlocks" is securing them - you def. don't want them to move. Also, they don't like to be transported on their floors - they sit on their corners.. They tent to be a bit tail heavy - the doors are more metal.. Also, the police will want you to have mirrors that look rearwards alongside the container as required by law. We have used reverse camera's in the past but some LEA will not like that.

Have you got something to unload the thing ?

13 minutes ago, Arjan said:

We usu. put the Tara weight of a 20" ctr. on 2.200 kgs.

Width varies between 240 and 250 cm.,

What makes them awkward to transport on a flatbed trailer without "twistlocks" is securing them - you def. don't want them to move. Also, they don't like to be transported on their floors - they sit on their corners.. They tent to be a bit tail heavy - the doors are more metal.. Also, the police will want you to have mirrors that look rearwards alongside the container as required by law. We have used reverse camera's in the past but some LEA will not like that.

Have you got something to unload the thing ?

At this stage it is just toying with the idea as I have the ability to transport the weight and wondered why I have never seen it done.

The tying down issue is certainly something I had considered also aware of the mirror issue but think I have extending ones somewhere if not certainly have a camera maybe even able to use a venture cam.  Have measured the Ifor and if I pit the doors to the hitch it would balance the weight quite well. 

Was thinking of putting the the container on logs for two reasons 1 to spread the load the other to assist rolling at the other end. 

As I said insanity but worthy of a discussion even just to confirm my insanity.

• Like 2

Someone got pulled for this a few years ago. In the end as that could be pinned on them was no tacho, as they were in business. Once it's safe, within limits, and seriously, seriously secured, then why not? Any worse than a glider trailer? Or a horse box? But I'm not a lawyer, so know nothing. 

• Like 1

Just spent a few days shifting a 24 foot site office container from one side of the garden to the other using poles and a mini digger - thought my heart was going to burst  with the effort, glad I didn't have to get it on & off a trailer as well 😄 

I’ve been thinking about this - standard delivery wouldn’t work for me I want it in a field. A bale trailer and a telehandler are the obvious choice if I can coordinate arranging it all ..

It's cropped up on faceache a few times. From what I've seen whilst not illegal the police will almost definitely pull you and at best make thinks difficult.

Logs under is I think a bad idea as it's additional weight, will make it taller and potentially unstable, you can always jack it up when you get to location.

Mike

We've thought about this as well. A few years ago, the animal shelter me and @elbekko help at was considering buying 1 or 2 20ft containers as storage. They went for metal sheds in the end (terrible things!).

I recall we did the maths and it should have worked on my tridem Ifor. The main issue was getting it far enough to the front, as the bed is only 5m and you don't want a rear overhang of 1.5m. Loading with the doors to the front would definitely help weight distribution. Straps from each twist lock to the corner of the trailer and 2 additional ones over the top should secure the lot. And maybe add some long 2x4s to avoid overloading the container floor. Unloading should have been easy enough with the tilting bed and some help from the skid steer in the shelter.

I also recall the story about (I think) a Defender with a 20ft on a flatbed being pulled. I thought it was mainly a security check (rightfully so, you see enough big dumb loads around to want to make sure the container was not loaded!), and once they found weights etc in order and the load properly secured, they couldn't really object.

So definitely not insanity in my book. 😉 

11 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

In my experience containers are usually able to be delivered (and put where you want by the Hiab) as part of the sale at minimal if any extra cost - is there a reason that isn’t an option for you?

I live in Scotland and the thriftiness has worn off on me over the last 60 years lol. Also locating it on site will not be that simple.

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Logs under is I think a bad idea as it's additional weight, will make it taller and potentially unstable, you can always jack it up when you get to location.

Mike

If the container is 2.2 tonnes with the additional weight of the trailer I should still have nearly a tonne to play with. The logs would also help with the unloading and allow be to centre the load on the axle as I would have 1/2 metre either end. 

1 hour ago, Simon_CSK said:

I live in Scotland and the thriftiness has worn off on me over the last 60 years lol. Also locating it on site will not be that simple.

If the container is 2.2 tonnes with the additional weight of the trailer I should still have nearly a tonne to play with. The logs would also help with the unloading and allow be to centre the load on the axle as I would have 1/2 metre either end. 

Not sure how you'd have a ton to play with unless your trailer is only 300kg which I can't see happening! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I’ve been thinking about this - standard delivery wouldn’t work for me I want it in a field. A bale trailer and a telehandler are the obvious choice if I can coordinate arranging it all ..

Depending on the time of year you would probably be OK with a hiab lorry. Otherwise a few quid to a neighbouring farmer to move it should be easily arranged. Even if it was a hiab delivery to their yard and then dropped to you. 

12 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

In my experience containers are usually able to be delivered (and put where you want by the Hiab) as part of the sale at minimal if any extra cost - is there a reason that isn’t an option for you?

Thinking about a container myself, especially after my son moved back home brining all his clobber with him. Getting someone with the appropriate gear and cover to do the donkey work moving and unloading would be my choice .

39 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Thinking about a container myself, especially after my son moved back home brining all his clobber with him

Will you put a window in it for him, or leave as it is? 🤔

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Not sure how you'd have a ton to play with unless your trailer is only 300kg which I can't see happening! 

Container is 2.2 tonnes max but could be 1.8 tonnes

Trailer is 0.7 tonnes

0.7 plus 1.8 is 2.5 trailer is 3.5 rated as is the Range Rover so I nave 1 left over. even at 2.2 tonnes I have 0.6 tonnes to play with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

Container is 2.2 tonnes max but could be 1.8 tonnes

Trailer is 0.7 tonnes

0.7 plus 1.8 is 2.5 trailer is 3.5 rated as is the Range Rover so I nave 1 left over. even at 2.2 tonnes I have 0.6 tonnes to play with.

I doubt the bradley flatbed is that light, and I think it would be stupid trying to put a container on an ifor car trailer (assuming it's a CT177 type one). You're also unlikely to know the weight until it's too late.

There are times to be thrifty and inventive and there are times to be safe. I think I would be paying for delivery, even if only to the field entrance. You can then satiate your inventive need by working out a method to move it across the field, but with a RR and a load of logs I am sure you'll come up with something!

• Like 2

I did say it was an insane idea and one that generated a very interesting discussion with varied opinions.

My starting point was is this possible which I think we have determined through discussion that it is.

Is it sensible? Given the trailers available to me the answer to that is probably no. We have discussed it and I probably need a flat bed trailer 6m long to even consider it. So this is either an excuse to buy a new trailer or to get someone in better equipped to do the job.

I find it is better to have a sensible discussion about something than to wonder forever if it is possible.

• Like 4

Just caught sight of this, .... did it once with my Ifor (which you saw), and an 8ft .... which was only 7ft wide. The thing which catches you out is that the COG of the load is 4ft up and that made it borderline with the 8ft. It would be trouble with anything bigger or heavier. 

8 hours ago, Blanco said:

Just caught sight of this, .... did it once with my Ifor (which you saw), and an 8ft .... which was only 7ft wide. The thing which catches you out is that the COG of the load is 4ft up and that made it borderline with the 8ft. It would be trouble with anything bigger or heavier. 

Which was exactly my point about not putting logs under it for transport.

Mike

If you do get one & need to roll it across a field, logs do work (I used old telegraph poles) but they quickly roll earth up in front of them and dig in  causing lots of jacking & pole moving .  A couple of long planks laid down like rails for the logs to roll along was the charm and it pulled along very easily. 

• Like 1