Cutting Foam For Tool Storage

7 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Ah I see, you don't have enough tools that's the problem!

If you don't have to shut the drawer three times because stuff is catching the draw above/below your doing it wrong :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Well.... I never. 

We should start a thread, "Show us your boxes" :ph34r:

I don't want to have to explain why I'm looking at photos of blokes' tools to my partner....

Foam works really well for mobile use where stuff will smash itself to bits but if it's going in my roller cab, it's getting filed from across the other side of the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Funnily enough, I've been getting organised as well. This is the result of some gentle pottering over the weekend:

IMG_20240730_195827.thumb.jpg.f4873c1a26d05bdf3418952e07d554ea.jpgIMG_20240730_195835.thumb.jpg.613a8640184aa1bd8b6c7fd75e96c832.jpgIMG_20240730_195844.thumb.jpg.06db0adb23272328715ecd50dfbce31a.jpgIMG_20240730_195852.thumb.jpg.ecdd79f1096cadfe4d952ce9b47f2a25.jpg

But, one option, line the box with plastic, suspend the tool in the right position, again, with plastic to protect it. And squirt expanding foam into the space. Then "just" trim to fit . . .

• Like 2

I found myself watching this a little while ago: 

They use a brand called Kaizen for the foam, which comes in layers, and he talks through how they cut it from about 5:34.

I watched it and thought “it’s too much for me, and I’d need more storage than I can fit in my workshop.

He does get it very very neat though.

I also watched this:

Which I found more feasible and appealing … but which made me realise just what a mess my tool storage is in. 

As in .. I am weeks of full time work away from being that organised.

So I think I made the sensible decision and stopped watching that type of video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I need to be organised. I've not enough space or time to waste looking for things. 

Parts storage is another nightmare. Not to mention scrap storage.

I know which drawer each tool lives in. The drawers are not very big. Doesn't take long to find anything. I would wager it would take longer with foam as I would have to get another 4 tool chests to store everyting that way and I'd have to walk between them all! :D 

There's no ideal way of doing it. I tried to find foam inserts, but the price was off-putting. So I bought a new set of screwdrivers with a foam liner for about the same money.

Now I've even more screwdrivers....IMG_20240731_163029.thumb.jpg.b578470d70371b67c56f7e4bda67cd6b.jpg

I tried being organised, even bought the foam (well i actually bought a dozen aldi yoga mats of different colours, eva foam is eva foam at the end of the day)then found that  doing it that way wasted soooo much space, that I had to buy another roller chest . top box etc. of course that meant I didn't quite have enough tools to fill the empty draws, as I hate wasted space, I bought more tools....... too many as it turns out, so I had to buy more storage , which meant empty draws..... ad infinitum

I even bought sticky labels for each draw, mind you I still find myself cycling through every bloody draw when I want a specific tool....

Edited by JeffR

6 minutes ago, JeffR said:

I even bought sticky labels for each draw, mind you I still find myself cycling through every bloody draw when I want a specific tool....

Hmm, what did I classify the doohickey as? Nope, not that. Maybe...

• Like 1

I think you have the ideal compromise for a garage tool set, Ross.  the rubber mat protects the drawer and stops too much rolling or sliding about and the ugly clattering, but avoids taking up space or making getting the tools in and out fiddly.  foam with cutouts is only useful for tools in a box or drawer system in a vehicle where you need to prevent them from sliding around with big bumps or accelerative forces.  That high friction low density foam roll printed as a mesh or chequer pattern would do a very good job of it, perhaps with the drawer's vertical faces covered with the same foam held by tape.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 11:59 AM, Anderzander said:

I think I’m the same.

I’m organised to a point- but nowhere near the point of the people on YouTube, and my tools are much more organised than my parts. 

A lot of them don't use their tools, they just pretend.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1